UKC

Amazing Gaia fall photo!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Alex Purser 24 Jun 2004
In reply to Laurie Rogerson:

But have you seen the video?

http://www.beardownproductions.co.uk
Alex Purser 24 Jun 2004

But yes. Cool photo too.
In reply to Alex Purser: Indeed I have!
Alex Purser 24 Jun 2004

Have you seen the New Statesman video forom that site as well?

I can't seem to play it.
Anonymous 24 Jun 2004
In reply to Alex Purser: I managed to play it a while ago but then it stopped working?!? I can't seem to play it now. Might be since they re-did the site, I don't know.
 andrew ogilvie 24 Jun 2004
In reply to Laurie Rogerson: Looks like something really quite bad was about to happen. Tried to watch the video but it wont play .
(I am too old, stupid and lazy to fix this problem.)
 andrew ogilvie 24 Jun 2004
In reply to Alex Purser: As a technical point do you think this was taken as a still or is it edited from a video???
Alex Purser 25 Jun 2004
In reply to andrew ogilvie:

You mean the OP's link?

I reckon it's a still. The quality is so good.
 lost1977 25 Jun 2004
In reply to andrew ogilvie:

personally think its a very good still rather than from a video.

Phil
 r0b 25 Jun 2004

Wow - thanks for bringing that pic to my attention, it's awesome. What's going on with his "glow in the dark" rope though, and where can I get one!
 Dominion 25 Jun 2004
In reply to Alex Purser:
> Have you seen the New Statesman video forom that site as well?

The New Statesmen video seems to be in Windows Media Video (wmv) format now (although the link says nsfinal.mov it's actually nsfinal.wmv) and you might need to update your Windows Media Player (to at least version 9) for it to play in that...

As for Gaia, that's a pretty big fall, and some pretty good dynamic belaying
Alex Purser 25 Jun 2004
Is that a self jamming pulley on the right hand rope?
Kim 25 Jun 2004

The photo is a still taken from the side, not from the video. I'll have a look at the New Statesman video make sure it's working, didn't realise it was still a wmv file. Probably got a .mov copy i can upload instead.

Kim @ Beardown Productions

oh and the right hand rope's just through some gear and ben's belaying is quality, watch it in slow mo...
 lost1977 25 Jun 2004
In reply to Alex Purser:

Just been checkin out the other videos, those are some sick climbers with even sicker taste in music

get some help guys

Phil
 Dominion 25 Jun 2004
In reply to Dominion:

The new statesmen video - having been reading the "Chalking as a habit" thread (http://www.ukclimbing.com/forums/t.php?n=90520&v=1 ) it seems that Jordan Buys certainly has the habit - couldn't believe the amount of chalk just blowing off his hands, great clouds of it....

But then I wouldn't even get off the ground on that climb, anyway.....
 Jus 25 Jun 2004
In reply to lost1977:

Chesney Hawkes is wkd.

Jus 25 Jun 2004

> Messenger does it again - astounding!

Is JR smiling?!
 Fiend 25 Jun 2004

Yer nice one....nice one Alex, but even nicer one JR going for the onsight (worth reiterating from the last time this attempt was mentioned).

One thing I don't like is the rope doesn't look like it's going through the gear, just a weird effect and not A's fault of course.
 Jus 25 Jun 2004
In reply to Fiend:

I think the rope you're talking about is the second rope he use to pull him away from the rock (as in the video), is it not?

The rope going through the gear is obscured slightly.
 Fiend 25 Jun 2004
In reply to Jus:

Ah, you're right. Still makes the photo a little confusing.
 Toby_W 25 Jun 2004
Great photo, great videos. I love above & beyond... where he falls and then 5 min later is back on but now with a helmet on, it somehow looked very odd but made me smile.
Cheers
Toby
 paul mitchell 25 Jun 2004
In reply to Toby_W:
> Great photo, great videos. I love above & beyond... where he falls and then 5 min later is back on but now with a helmet on, it somehow looked very odd but made me smile.
> Cheers
> Toby

Dawes is pissed at people taking falls onto the few available placemments on Gaia,as it trashes the rock.Maybe top-roping it first would reduce the number of falls onto the gear,but then of course,that wouldn't be on sight.....

paul mitchell
Anonymous 25 Jun 2004
In reply to paul mitchell:

dawes needs to lay his wire brush down before critisising other for trashing the rock.
rich 25 Jun 2004
In reply to Jus:
> I think the rope you're talking about is the second rope he use to pull him away from the rock (as in the video), is it not?

it occurred to me, and don't get me wrong here, but might elabrate belays like that reduce the grade a touch - just a thought you understand 'side runners reduce . . ' and all that ?
 alex 25 Jun 2004
Cheers

Glad you like it! Was a bit of a fluke - since I really didn't think he was going to fall off it, and wasn't ready for that sort of shot.

But he seemed to hang in the air like a little ball for an age, giving just enough time to zoom in and pan down. Very lucky, he could have easily been out of focus...

Simon Caldwell 25 Jun 2004
In reply to alex:
A few minutes in Photoshop and the BMC could use it for their new "make sure you've tied in properly" poster
richard bradley @ work 25 Jun 2004
In reply to alex:
Very lucky, he could have easily been out of focus...

Bet that was the least of his worries at the time!

Anonymous 25 Jun 2004
In reply to rich:

>might elabrate belays like that reduce the grade a touch - just a thought you understand 'side runners reduce . . ' and all that ?

No, its not a side-runner. There was nothing stopping the FA using a side-rope.
In reply to Alex Purser:
> (In reply to Laurie Rogerson)
>
> Have you seen the New Statesman video forom that site as well?
>
> I can't seem to play it.

Yes I have, that is also amazing as I live in ilkley and so have had a go at the bottom - i did the first move! Which in itself is hard and the finger ledge is as sharp as f**k
 Fiend 26 Jun 2004
In reply to paul mitchell:

Or alternatively, maybe training more, improving your climbing, practising specifically for that route, until you have a better chance of onsighting it would reduce the number of falls taken onto the gear.

Anonymous:

Maybe you should give yourself an identity, contactability and accountability before you make such comments. Not that I disagree but there's too much anonymous sniping of people already.
 JR 26 Jun 2004
In reply to Jus:

JR is not smiling!

The right hand rope is just going off to a sling tied round a boulder, with mike weeks running to stop the JMTT smash.

Awesome belaying by Ben Wolstenholme, the boy is a god... or at least thats what my mother thinks!

John
 JR 26 Jun 2004
In reply to alex:

Felt like i was in the air for ages! Top photo, but ive told you that already!
Anonymous 26 Jun 2004
In reply to Fiend:"Maybe you should give yourself an identity, contactability and accountability before you make such comments. Not that I disagree but there's too much anonymous sniping of people already."
Maybe you should post under your real name then.
 Fiend 26 Jun 2004
In reply to Anonymous:

I have an identity, contactability, and accountability.
 JR 26 Jun 2004
In reply to lost1977:
> (In reply to Alex Purser)
>
> Just been checkin out the other videos, those are some sick climbers with even sicker taste in music
>
> get some help guys
>
> Phil

My help is coming from an elbow surgeon after spannering myself!

The music started as a piss take, from kim who edits the videos, on the 3BM vid. Now i get gay music on every single one.
'Arris 26 Jun 2004

owwww, thats gonna be quite a bad wedgie when he 'lands'
 JR 26 Jun 2004
In reply to Simon Caldwell:

already been thought about!!!
In reply to JR: Where is Jasmine?
 JR 27 Jun 2004
In reply to Richard Bradley:

Bamford

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...