UKC

Alpine rucksack wanted

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 alasdair19 01 Jul 2004
Looking for a good 50-60l alpine pack that won't break the bank.

MUST be light 1.5kg or less fit a skinny 6ft 2in

any suggestions?

the crux things look awesome as do the pod black ice?
 Bob 01 Jul 2004
In reply to alasdair19:

Groan!

Bob
OP alasdair19 01 Jul 2004
In reply to Bob: don't groan i think i know what i want just can't afford to drop the notes right know anyone have a second hand one?

anyone used the MEC icefall for climbing with?
 Bob 01 Jul 2004
In reply to alasdair19:

The groan is for yet another person asking for an alpine sack that is far too big. It is also for the sound you will be making when you get to the alps and do a route with it.

Without going into my usual diatribe on this, see http://www.aqvi55.dsl.pipex.com/climb/alp-gear.htm

Bob
OP alasdair19 01 Jul 2004
In reply to Bob: its not for the alps where i found my 400g 38 litre sack more than adequate. Sadly it just ain't going to take overnight gear as it has no side straps for karrimat, or space for a sleeping bag, bivvy tent and 3days food and fuel.

regards
Alasdair
Anonymous 01 Jul 2004
In reply to Bob:

> The groan is for yet another person asking for an alpine sack that is far too big. It is also for the sound you will be making when you get to the alps and do a route with it.

I use a 65 L pack in the Alps - and have done for years and many many routes. Maybe I'm a shitty packer - but it works, I get the necessary crap in, and the routes get climbed.

It's horses for courses.
 Bob 01 Jul 2004
In reply to alasdair19:

Have you tried the "strips of karrimat down the inside sleeve of the sack" trick? You don't need a full karrimat, three strips usually is enough. (Don't try it with Thermarests though!). I have used a 35L sack for multiday routes in the alps (summer and winter) carrying everything but axes and crampons inside OK, you have to be a little uncomfortable but then this is the alps not camp america.

So back to your request. Are you wanting a sack for camping or climbing?

Bob
DBW 01 Jul 2004
In reply to alasdair19:
Have you had a look at the new macpac pursuit? its got a great back system which is both light and comfortable, is also tough so it won't fall apart after a couple of routes. hope this is of help

DBW
Paul Saunders 01 Jul 2004
In reply to alasdair19:

There's some good deals on packs at http://www.cccoutdoors.com Click on Amazing Deals, Gear, Rucksacs and go to Page 3 the Lowe Alpine Alpine Attacks 30, 40 and 50ltr packs seem pretty cheap to me...
Paul Saunders 01 Jul 2004
In reply to Paul Saunders:

Sorry I meant the Alpine Mountain Attacks...
John Hind 01 Jul 2004
In reply to alasdair19:

Marmot Eiger 45 or Marmot Alpinist 55, the latter is about 100 quid and weighs in at just under 1.5kg. They both come in two back lengths. A mate has the Eiger 45, (48ltrs in large size) it seems to be very good for the 65 quid it cost.
 Morgan Woods 02 Jul 2004
In reply to alasdair19:

well spoken Bob!

anyway mammut packs rock and come in a range of style around 25 to 45 lites....they are more old school style with no fancy crap and totally bombproof but not srue if they are available in the UK.
Amomimus 02 Jul 2004
In reply to alasdair19: I too am looking for a new bag. Unfortunately Mammut packs are awfully heavy in general. The new pursuit feels great and the harness system is simply GREAT but they are not light and the back system is overengineered in my opinion - too much. It also makes the bag feel like a plank on your back when you bend over -if you see what I mean-. In my humble opinion they are "almost there but not quite" (and I have quite a few macpac products). They also do not have wand pockets, which I find very useful. Crux packs seem to be quite close to what I would consider a great Alpine sack. They are light and comfy. Drawbacks are no crampon patch outside (you can fix a bugee cord though) and those silly Z compression straps -why do they do that? which I don't like and are not good for skis. These are minor complaints, my main dislike is that the top is not detachable in the AK37 and AK47. I didn't like the marmot alpinist in the shop and I saw a not very positive review in climbing.com. Lowe Alpine Mountain attack series have everything you need -i.e., no bells and wistles- but are too heavy and not very comfy. I don't know what the Alpine Attack series are like. I personally use a circa 1998 Macpac Pursuit, it has been v. good but it is too heavy, it is awkward to pack (narrow on top and wider at the bottom). Also the belt does not seem to fit too well my narrow shanks and it's too wide. Hope this lot of drivel helps a bit.
 Morgan Woods 02 Jul 2004
In reply to Amomimus:

i tried the slimmed down pursuit 50l and found it hideously uncomfortable so changed to a smaller 45l mammut extreme that fits like a glove....not as many bells and whistle (no lid extender and no crampon straps) and yes is a little on the heavy side.
Doughboy 02 Jul 2004
In reply to alasdair19:

I second the 50ltr pack option for multi-day (e.g., The Ben for 4 days)...I guess I like my down jkt, big down sleeping bag, good food and thermal tights too much, but then again I probably wouldn't actually climb with it either. I just bought a Grivel Manu for that, stick it in the 50ltr pack, set up camp and then use the 12ltr for the climbing bit.

My Arcteryx 35ltr (with the rope carrying straps) is brilliant for light and fast stuff, though I can't get my sleeping bag into it!
OP alasdair19 07 Jul 2004
In reply to Doughboy: thanks for all the information and advice

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...