UKC

soft shell?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
abi 02 Jul 2004
I'm going to be trekking in patagonia dec-may and am thinking of buying a soft shell. Weather unpredictable (rain, v high winds, down to -10 at night). I'm taking a regular weight goretex waterproof and icebreakers but am in a quandary re other useful layers. Looking at the moment at north face apex 1 or 2 or a marmot one. Any suggestions?
Dave Hunter, Rock + Run 03 Jul 2004
In reply to abi:

I'd say:

Don't get one with a membrane (Windstopper etc), they're heavier, bulkier anf less breathable.

Don't get Powershield (too warm for walking in the rain).

Do get a lined Pertex (Rab Vapour Trail or better Macpac Matrix which will be available again in Sept. Or the MHW Tempest SL (which does have a membrane but it matters less in this sort of garment). ME and various other companies do similar things. Make sure it has a hood.

Also get a light synthetic filled pullover or jacket. The Montane Solo is good value at c£80. This will pack smaller than a fleece, will be warmer and is lighter too.

I'd take lighter waterproofs too if you can afford it (but one with a good hood: not all lightweight waterproofs have this).
 Damo 04 Jul 2004
In reply to abi:

If you are actually trekking and therefore carrying your own stuff, then don't take a soft-shell. They are great for some areas but backcountry Patagonia is not one of them - too wet.

Sure, there will be times when a soft-shell will be fine (it's often windy and a little wet) but if you actually have to make a choice of what to actually carry on your back, then you need a fully waterproof jacket and pants (lightweight is fine) and whatever fleece you want under that. For actual walking, a thick thermal is fine, with the shell over that for wetter/colder/windier conditions. A warmer layer is also needed, be it a regular fleece for between thermal and shell, or a shelled primaloft/polarguard-type garment that can go either over or under the shell.

But if you want to wear the insulating layer between the w/proof shell and the thermal, then don't get a shelled garment, as the system will not be breathable enough for walking and you will get soaked from sweat. A regular plain fleece garment is better for this mid-layer as it is quite breathable.

If you insist on wearing insulation outside the w/proof shell using a shelled primaloft-type garment(great for cold/dry mountaineering), then realise that although warm-when-wet, in a trekking situation you may not be able to dry it overnight and it will be quite unpleasant. Thermal+ w/proof shell is very versatile in these situations, with regular fleece sweater added in between for colder times. If you are not mountaineering, then changing layers is not such a hassle (no harness).

D
Removed User 04 Jul 2004
In reply to Damo: It might be worth considering Paramo jacket plus synthetic duvet jacket...dries very quickly and you don't necessarily need additional layers. Suits wld wet conditions.
Ged 06 Jul 2004
In reply to abi:

I have, after trial and error found a layering system that has suits me perfectly in Scottish winters and alpine trips. (general mountaineering/ice)

I favour a windstopper N2S base (MHW Transition Featherlight T - bomber windproof) and a thermal pro fleece (it's warm, and dries very quickly). On top of this MHW Epic (conduit silk) - waterproof and totally breathable.

In pack i go with a spare t-shirt and a down jacket for evenings/bivvy/camp, - down is a must have when not on the move whatever the conditions!

Gore o.t.'s over powerstretch fleece leggings seem to do the job 'leg-wise'! I have a couple of mates that have tried softshell with varying opinions/results. Hope that helps.

OP GBr 12 Jul 2004
In reply to Dave Hunter, Rock + Run:

>Rab Vapour Trail or better Macpac Matrix which will be available again in Sept

I'm interested to hear you say this, Dave, as I've recently tried a Rab VR smock on and thought it was pretty near perfect. Why do you think the Macpac Matrix is better ? Better outer fabric ? Better hood ? I've not looked at one, but would hold out on buying a Rab if I knew there was potentially something better out there...
wilsy 19 Jul 2004
In reply to abi:

Abi, I would buy a ventile cotton jacket. Nothing else I have ever used comes close with regard to comfort, breathability and protection. It gets wet on the outside but keps you dry inside.

A few 'experts' slag it for getting heavy and slow to dry but I have found it remains light and quick drying.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...