UKC

What do I put under my soft shell?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Lbos 22 Jul 2004
Off to the alps on monday. Bought a patagonia dimension jacket. What do I put under it? I was thinking base layer and poss 100 weight fleece. Would that be enough? Also looking at a gillet type arrangement.

Suggestions?

Ta.
Haggles 22 Jul 2004
In reply to Lbos: Create a layering system which works when active in the absolute maximum range of anticipated conditions. This means that if you need to add layers - insulation/weather protection - you only have to add over the top.

See: Andy Kirkpatrick/Ian Parnell/Bruce Goodlad/Jez Portman ad infinitum......
ben b not logged on 23 Jul 2004
In reply to Lbos: A thin merino wool top such as an Icebreaker works well for me, it depends on your personal warmth, acyivity levels etc. Agree if you're after intermittent warmth get something to go over the top.
 chris_s 23 Jul 2004
In reply to Lbos:

I've got a dimension jacket and usually just wear a sprayway zone 1 top underneath (a sort of microfleece baselayer) and find that's warm enough for most scottish winter conditions when on the move. so just a thin thermal for the alps should be fine. pack a small synthetic jacket to layer over your soft shell for extra warmth in the early morning / belaying etc.
In reply to Lbos: I was in the Alps at the end of June. I had an Arc'terix Gamma MX soft shell and all I wore under it was an icebreaker merino long sleave base layer and a MH catalist tank (instead of a bra but I don't know if you're male or female). I took a Polartech 100 fleece but I only wore it onece and probably didn't really need to but I didn't want to have to stop later to put it on if I got cold. I also took a Primaloft belay jacket but that never came out of the bag.
 SidH 23 Jul 2004
In reply to Lbos:
Youd be way to hot wit h3 insulating layers on most of the time. Its hotter up there on a glacier than youd even believe. Lots of tourists walk round in shorts and t-shirts on the safe bits.
Norrie Muir 23 Jul 2004
In reply to Lbos:

Dear Lbos

I only have a well tanned, shaved and muscular body under my "soft shell".

Norrie
dark_star 23 Jul 2004
In reply to Norrie Muir: no bullet proof vest?
 Rubbishy 23 Jul 2004
In reply to Lbos:

I was tempted to say a heart of stone.....

.but will suggest a base layer with a baggier thermal like a lowe top.

It gets pretty warm up there and I tend to travel light, with just a very lightweight duvet which diubles as the doss bag for a bivi
Rollmop_unlogged 23 Jul 2004
In reply to Norrie Muir:
But who's body is it? And does the softshell have to be XXXL to fit you both underneath?
Norrie Muir 23 Jul 2004
In reply to Rollmop_unlogged:
> But who's body is it?

Dear Rollmop

My son, the cheapskate always my clothes. He is a younger version of me.

Norrie
Rollmop_unlogged 23 Jul 2004
In reply to Norrie Muir:
>He is a younger version of me.

Will he be posting on rocktalk too soon?

PS it's friday- I hope Woker will be along soon. I want to know what he will be up to this weekend.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...