UKC

Bivying @ Almscliff

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
I was going to park in the village and walk in, I was just concerned that it might threaten access to the crag? Should I just doss in a field near by instead? Any constructive advice appreciated.

NMM
 Tom W 30 Aug 2004
In reply to Northern Mountain Monkey:
The fields close by are probably owned by the same farmer so it may well be just the same as camping at the crag, except at the crag you'll be able to hide behind some rocks etc
 James Kitson 30 Aug 2004

Why do you want to bivy at Almscliff? Couldn't you just stay somewhere nearby at a campsite if you are travelling a long distance to climb there. Or, if you live nearby, why don't you just go back the next morning?

Also, the crag is in full view of the farm and if they see lights at night the farmer will kick you off.
Alex Purser 31 Aug 2004

Could always ask him.
I doubt he'll agree, but better that, than risking access problems.
ceri 31 Aug 2004
In reply to Northern Mountain Monkey: when i was little i lived in Huby. I used to dream that when i grew up i'd live in a tent at almscliffe (worryingly). however,i grew out of this. Why not camp on the school field in Rigton. (not the playground, the field, its down the hill from the church). At least the owners aren't nearby to complain!
In reply to Northern Mountain Monkey: In reply to Northern Mountain Monkey:
Its a 1hr 30 drive and we would only going to be able to set off @ 4 and we need to be back for 12:30 the next day and as far as Im aware the nearest campsite is Pately Bridge about 30mins away.? I think I'll give it a miss though. Cheers for the advice. I wonder if the farmer has ever thought of opening one of his barns for climbers to kip in, could be a nice little money earner!

NMM
 Chris Fryer 31 Aug 2004
In reply to Northern Mountain Monkey: There is a campsite called stubbin's farm opposite caley.

Someone needs to buy the almost derelict pub formerly called the Dyneley Arms at the crossroads where you turn right from Leeds to Almscliff and convert it to a bunkhouse with a small campsite. Surefire money spinner.
 Ridge 31 Aug 2004
In reply to Chris Fryer:
By almost derelict I assume you meant burnt out
 sutty 31 Aug 2004
In reply to Chris Fryer:

Little chance of buying the Dyneley Arms, it is worth probably 250k for the land and situation alone I should think if someone decided to convert it to a house.

There does need to be a campsite in the area though, must have a word with some more people who live locally if there are any farners interested. The next site is the one near Brimham, Manor House Farm in Summerbridge.
Dave Collier 31 Aug 2004
In reply to sutty:

And of course strange things happen up on the rocks of Almscliffe at night - Demon Wall ain't called that for nothing.
ceri 01 Sep 2004
In reply to Northern Mountain Monkey: we used to camp in a farmers field just down from almscliffe with the guides, but that was probably cas we knew the farmer. i still think you should camp in the school field. in my day, very little of it was marked out as football/ rounders pitches, camp at the far side behind the big trees, im sure noone'll mind...

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...