UKC

Bishop

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
brian crawford 31 Aug 2004
Hi,

Looking to find out if there is good climbing for my standard in bishop - 5+ to 6a. Would it be worth me buying the rockfax guide for the area? does anyone know how many climbs of that standard are in the guidebook?

cheers
Brian
Ian Hill 31 Aug 2004
In reply to brian crawford: yes there's lots there...but Mick Ryan will no doubt be along shortly to tell you in more detail...
 Michael Ryan 01 Sep 2004
In reply to brian crawford:

There's nothing for you in Bishop Brian it is a local town for local people...........

WTF is 5+ to 6a?
 Chris Fryer 01 Sep 2004
In reply to brian crawford: Is that 5+ to 6a sport, English technical or V grades? Either way the answer is yes (but thats a very small grade range to operate in!). If you mean sport theres lots at that grade in Owens and Clark Canyon, don't know exact numbers though. You could broaden your horizons and boulder a bit too? Need to check with Mickfax when his guide is out though.
nick from alpkit 01 Sep 2004

sometime since i went to owens (owens river gorge)and i only spent a day

but there were alot of 5.10s "Orange peel 5.10c" 3 star
Crash Landing 5.10d 3 star.

and worth pushing the grade for if only for the name "Photon Torpedo 5.11a"

Not exactly the prettest place to climb, but good rock, my biggest regret was that when i went the locals were keeping the buttermilks(bouldering) to themselves. Every time i see a picture of them i can see where we camped. (annoying)

Theres a good shop in bishop, i would wait till you get there until you get a guide

cheers

cheers

Michael Ryan 01 Sep 2004

When are you going Brian?

M
brian crawford 01 Sep 2004
In reply all:

Cheers for the info everyone, I'll try to push my grade... i was trying to decide on a good place in california to visit from san diego next week. I wanted to go to yosemite but the place looks pretty damn expensive.

5+ to 6a is the sports grade range, I guess I find 6a outside challenging, 5+ is nice and under 5+ a bit too easy. I guess 5.10 would be the equivalent although I don't know what the USA is like for over/under grading. Because of an injury i havent been able to climb over here yet...
 Stuart S 02 Sep 2004

If you can climb F6a, you should be able to tackle 5.10a's in the Owen's River Gorge with a reasonable degree of success.

However, although the gorge is fun, bouldering is what Bishop is really all about and if you're there for more than a passing visit, you might want to take a look at what's on offer.

Wilson's Eastside Sports is the climbing shop on Main Street in Bishop, and sells all the various guides that you'll need for sports routes and bouldering (though once Mick's new guide is out, you'll get everything under the one cover...)
brian crawford 02 Sep 2004
In reply to Stuart S:

thanks for info

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...