UKC

Yet another boring head torch question

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 54ms 10 Sep 2004
Looking at getting a new headtorch as my £5 millets job dosn't really cut the musterd in shit conditions and uses loads in battries.

Thinking about the Petzel Myo 3 or 5, hoping someone has some experiance and can answer my questions. Does the extra 2 LED's on the 5 make much of a difference to the brightness? When you turn it on which is the first mode that it uses. Just thinking if that zeon bulb comes on before you switch to LED mode, it would make quite a difference to the battery life.

Bill Ford-Smith 10 Sep 2004
In reply to Duncan_S: I think you can either switch on the LED or the bulb (direction of twist of the bezel, I think).

The main plus point of the Myo 5 is that it has several levels of brightness and an 'emergency' mode: when the electronics sense that the batteries are low, it automatically drops down to a power-saving mode, to produce at least enough light to see by, for as long as possible.

This latter feature is really rather nice, if your spare batteries are buried at the bottom of your pack somewhere, or not with you!
 sutty 10 Sep 2004
In reply to Bill Ford-Smith:

Thanks for that, I have a crapateria head torch for emergency use only as do not generally need to consider things like battery life.
Planning to do some winter stuff so thinking of getting a proper head torch and that one seems to fit the bill IF the connections are reliable.
 Mark Stevenson 11 Sep 2004
In reply to Duncan_S: Petzel Tikka Plus is my recommendation - although I was told by an MIC that it wasn't good enough to take on an ML(winter) Assessment - I disagree, but that's my tuppence worth.
Bill Ford-Smith 11 Sep 2004
In reply to sutty:

The Myo series are fairly new, so I don't have much long-term feedback on them yet. As far as I know, there have been no problems with any connections yet (unlike those ghastly connectors in the Zoom!).

Personally, I use Duos (upgraded to the 8 and 5 LED variants) for nasty conditions and anywhere I need a decent beam. I've yet to have any problems with any of the electronics (I use Duos for lighting underground too, so mine have had a fair kicking); the only moan is the halogen bulb: with repeated bashing, it can work loose. This shouldn't be a problem with Myo as it has a more sensible means of fixing the bulb in place (I think).

The Zipka Plus/Tikka Plus mentioned elsewhere are stonking gear if you don't ever need a long-distance beam; they're so small and light, you can pretty much have one with you at all times. For general stuff, that's what I use and still carry one as a back-up even if I'm using Duo (at least, above ground; they're not water-resistant enough for underground, IMO). Excellent for a bit of light to change a tyre by at night too...!

sutty 11 Sep 2004

Most waterproof one I ever had was a Pifco one, it got dropped into the river in Torridon lit and was seen floating down the river and out to sea, still lit.
Profanisaurus Rex 11 Sep 2004
In reply to Duncan_S:

I got a Myo 5 recently - well impressed! The LEDs come on first when you twist the bezel. You have to turn it further before the main bulb comes on, so it doesn't chomp up the battery life. The LEDs come on on their brightest setting, then medium, then dimmest (which incidentally is enough to read/rummage around in the tent by).

HTH
jon boy 11 Sep 2004
i also use a duo with 5 led convertion, i've had it for 2 years or so & used in some very cold & wet conditions with no probs, new years eve 2002 on snowdon it totaly out shone the competition.

the down side,
probably a bit expensive to buy, but you get what you pay for...

all the best
jon.
 lost1977 11 Sep 2004
In reply to Duncan_S:

if you get a myo get the 5 its much better, also get the model where the battery compartment can be put in your pocket rather than the model where its on the back of your head.
the batteries will last better in cold conditions

Phil

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...