360 Helmet from Wild Country£45, added Apr/2010, see all Wild Country news & reviews
Reviewed by Jack Geldard - UKC Chief Editor
I took off my helmet and pulled my woolly hat from my pocket. The helmet went straight back on over the hat - in a rush so as to keep a little dryness in the wool. With a quick turn of the adjustment-wheel the lid sat atop my bonce, the manoeuvre was quick and simple even with numb hands. Pretty good this 360 helmet, I thought.
The 360 helmet from Wild Country is their entry level helmet, but unlike some outdoor-centre-style lids, this one doesn't look like a washing up bowl and is reasonably light weight (360 grams - hence the name), and also seems bomb-proof in terms of internal construction.
I have used the helmet primarily for rock climbing, much of it in the rain (doh!) and have found it to be warm, durable and simple to adjust. The helmet has some small vents for warmer weather and also has plastic clips for attaching a head torch.
The adjustment is via a wheel at the back which is easy to operate and also seems to be tough enough to last well, it would also be well suited to outdoor centre use. I found the fit to be very good, but the helmet design is quite narrow, if you do have a wide head, this might be an issue - as with all helmets it is best to try before you buy.
I have had quite a few helmets in the last few years from a whole range of manufacturers and I would rate the 360 very highly, especially as it comes with a £45 price tag.
The helmet is a polycarbonate shell (plastic) with some EPS foam on the inside for extra protection - it is a hybrid helmet. The safety test results are good, this is a strong and safe helmet (so it should be!), but all climbing helmets for sale in the UK have to pass these tests, so if you buy any helmet in the UK by a well known manufacturer then you can be sure you have got a safe product.
A great and stylish all round helmet at a very very good price.
- Lightweight best in class Polycarb/Eps helmet
- Quik-Dial glove friendly adjustable sizing
- Adjustable EVA cushioned, head hugging inner pads
- Nexus Acetal (better in low temp) quick release chin strap buckle
- Smooth 16mm nylon chin strap
- 4 Torch grips (acetal – better in low temps)
- Foil covered vents
- Hood friendly sizing for winter wear
- 3 Stylish colour choices
- Emergency inner sticker
- Free storage bag
- One size (new size 1 in 2010).
- CE / UIAA / 3 Sigma rated.
- Weight: 360 grams.
- Size: 21-24"
You can download a User Guide for the 360 here.
|Free UK delivery!!!!|
See this product at the CragX shop
See this product at the Joe Brown - Snowdonia shop
|£39.00. Summer Sale reduction currently applies.|
See this product at the The Outdoor Shop shop
See this product at the The Climbers' Shop shop
- Petzl RocTrip Report 2014 Oct-14
- Meeting Alex Luger - One of Austria's Top All Round Climbers Oct-14
- Kendal 2014 Speaker Profile: Christophe Profit Oct-14
- REVIEW: Stonesmith Holds Aug-14
- REVIEW: La Sportiva Nepal Cube GTX Boots Jun-14
- Arc'teryx Launch Footwear Line Jun-14
- WHAT'S AVAILABLE: Walking / Mountaineering Axes Jun-14
- The Five Best HVS Routes in the UK? May-14
- INTERVIEW: Alex Honnold on the Fitzroy Traverse Apr-14
- Get Ready for Summer: Climb Harder Without Training Mar-14