Click to read about Advertising on UKC
|Lofoten > Øvredalen >
|Rum and Cola|| n5+ |
|265m, 9 pitches. Satisfying and popular with a variety of fine slab and groove climbing. Protection is sometimes sparse and route finding is not always easy until all of the initial overlaps have been bypassed on the left. Fine situations, sustained, enjoyable climbing, and almost no loose rock or grass! The route stays wet early in the season. Start under a pair of converging flake/grooves.
1) 5, 50m. There are two narrow grooves at the start. From a block, traverse right then climb the right-hand groove to a small ledge and possible stance. Continue to the top of the same groove, and belay on the left on a large grass ledge.
1a) 5, 50m. The left-hand lower groove, and the right-hand upper groove, offer a slightly easier variation.
2) 5+, 45m. Trend right up corners and flakes, avoiding any temptation to traverse too far right under the overlaps. Step out left to a thin flake (peg) on a smooth face, then continue up right and then back left to a comfortable stance in a right-slanting corner.
3) 5, 50m. Walk right across a wide sloping ledge, then move up, traverse back left to join Famous Grouse, and follow this up the groove to a ledge and belay on the right.
4) 3, 25m. Climb easily rightwards up cracks in the slab to a stance on top of a big block.
5) 5+, 40m. Climb rightwards to a ledge then move left and climb the tricky crack, then the groove on the left, to another good ledge on the left below the final big groove. The groove left of the crack is an easier variation (5) if needed.
6) 5+, 35m. Layback and jam the huge upper corner system to its top - a good pitch.
7) 2, 20m. Finish up the grassy corner on the left to the summit. © ROCKFAX|
5+ in local guide, 9 pitches of quality climbing up to HVS/E1. 280m
This climb is in 12 logbooks, and on 2 wishlists.
Hidden - Lead dnf - 15/Aug/12
Hidden - AltLd - 30/Jul/12
Difficult route finding but 1st and last proper pitches both excellent. Slipped on (easy) top slab pitch
Ken Taylor - AltLd O/S - 18/Jul/11 with Paul Farish, Conan Harrod
Great meandering route
Conan - AltLd O/S - 18/Jul/11 with Paul Farish, Ken Taylor
Abbed off after 2nd pitch due to rain.
HIGHTOWER - AltLd dnf - 28/Jul/09 with Liz
liz-264 - AltLd - 28/Jul/09 with Hightower
Hidden - AltLd dnf - 13/Jul/09
cali1001 - AltLd O/S - Jun/09 with jocke
straightforward climbing but 1 big runout and some tricky routefinding. Great route but minging descent...
Different Steve - AltLd O/S - 05/Aug/08 with Steve Gray & Carol Fowles
Hidden - AltLd O/S - Jul/08
Fantastic, long day out climbing for 17 hours! Totally comitting route of quality rock.
Whitt - AltLd O/S - Jun/07 with Luke, Ian
Luuuuuke - AltLd O/S - Jun/07 with ian, whitt
Users with this climb on their wishlist are: