Click to read about Advertising on UKC
The GoldmineNowra, AUSTRALIA
Climbs 60 – Rocktype Sandstone (hard) – Altitude 216m a.s.l – Faces N
Climbs at this crag
From Nowra: Continue along Braidwood road towards TJF.
1. Reset your speedo at the intersection of Turpentine and Braidwood Roads.
2. 1km: Continue on and the 620 sign will be 1km on your right.
3. 1.2km: Take the next dirt road left (Yarran Rd). Drive thru open gate. From this point on it is recommened you have either a 4WD or a car with good clearance. Sections of road can be very muddy and sometimes entirely water covered. A Forester or Rav4 is fine, a low slung sports coupe is not.
4. 3.8km: Turn down the second road on right (Butterbrush Track) it should have a small "fire trail sign"
5. 6.3km: Continue along this road until the road ends at the cliff top and the obvious parking area.
Walk 25 metres down the trail to cliff edge - directly out from the giant big dead tree is a rap anchor on a little ledge. Fix a line here or rap and pull a doubled rope here (it's 30m to the ground - a doubled 50m rope WILL NOT REACH). Simple's Wall is on your right, Monty's cave and the other climbing areas are on your left facing out.
Alternatively, to access the base of the cliff (without rap) walk toward the cliff and pick up a trail marked with yellow flagging leading to the left. After about 200m the trail leads you into a gully. Take care at the top of the gully due to loose earth and rotten rock. Trend leftward to reach the first set rungs to gain the terrace. Go right along the terrace, again take care though the sword grass and wet ground to reach the second set of rungs.
Once at the base of the cliff walk right (facing out), keeping as close to the cliff as possible, for about 50m to find a fixed rope. Scale this end traverse until you reach the base of a wall which is the start of the current development. The right hand route is Ocean Views. About 10 minutes walk from car.
USER PHOTO GALLERY