VIDEO/PHOTOS: Chamonix World Cupby Jack Geldard - UKC Chief Editor Jul/2011
This news story has been read 7,378 times
Jakob Schubert of Austria won the men's competition. Four climbers were in joint first place in the women's: Caroline Ciavaldini of France, Angela Eiter of Austria, Jain Kim of Korea and Mina Markovic of Slovenia. They all topped out on the final route.
The men's final route was extremely tough with only Jakob Schubert topping out. Second place Ramon Julian Puigblanque looked really strong, but seemed to misread a couple of sections, which may have cost him vital strength and stopped him from reaching the top.
Of the women, whilst four of them topped out, and all four climbed fantastically, it was Jain Kim who looked the smoothest, perhaps with strength to spare.
The world's top competition climbers are now headed to Arco in Italy for the Climbing World Championship taking place next week.
Even though Ondra came in 17th place yesterday, our money is still on the young Czech to clean up in Arco. Showing he wasn't bothered by his 17th place, Ondra onsighted an 8c+ route in the Italian Aosta valley earlier today - the day after the competition in Chamonix! (More info to follow in the UKC News).
1. Schubert Jakob 1990 AUT Top
2. Julian Puigblanque Ramón 1981 ESP 46
3. Midtboe Magnus 1988 NOR -42
4. Amma Sachi 1989 JPN 41
5. Lachat Cédric 1984 SUI -40
6. Desgranges Romain 1982 FRA -38
7. Romain Manuel 1988 FRA -38
8. Kryukov Valeriy 1986 UKR 33
1. Ciavaldini Caroline 1985 FRA Top
1. Eiter Angela 1986 AUT Top
1. Kim Jain 1988 KOR Top
1. Markovic Mina 1987 SLO Top
5. Oda Momoka 1994 JPN 48
6. Posch Katharina 1994 AUT -48
6. Schranz Christine 1988 AUT -48
8. DiGiulian Sasha 1992 USA 39