This year saw the second Battle of Britain at The Depot Climbing Centre. This highly anticipated competition did not disappoint with a range of international stars rubbing shoulders with climbers from across the region and the UK. Competitors of all abilities graced the technical, powerful and varied problems that had been set over the previous few days.
The competition witnessed 160 competitors who had 4 hours to make their attempts count. In the qualifiers there were 25 problems of all difficulties and each problem tested the competitors to the max. The format of the competition allowed the winner of the veterans and juniors categories to be decided by qualification results. The senior men and women however had to face four world cup style problems in a final showdown watched by hundreds of screaming spectators each gunning for the £500 grand prize!
The results of the Junior and Veteran categories are below:
- 1st place (7-11) male went to Aiden Dunne, 2nd Jacob Lowe and 3rd Liam Goodyear of The Depot Kids Club. See more about the kids clubs here.
- 1st place (12-15) male went to Michael Hopkins, 2nd Jack Graham and 3rd Jake Oughton
- 1st place (7-11) Female went to Emma Powell, 2nd Jasmine Lowe and 3rd Georgia Bower
- 1st place (12-15) Female went to Sidonie Graham, 2nd Ellissa Bryant and 3rd Olivia Corrigan
- 1st place Veteran Male went to Nigel Hunt, 2nd Andy Farnell and 3rd Pete Chadwick
- 1st place Veteran Female went to Joanna Goorney, 2nd Sian Oakley and 3rd Claudia Hall
The following climbers qualified for the Senior Male and Female finals:
- Male – James Garden, Chris Webb Parsons, Adam Watson, Dave Barrans, Tim Palmer, Gary Vincent, Roddy Mckenzie and Nathan Phillips
- Female – Alex Puccio, Shauna Coxsey, Diane Merrick, Lucy Mitchell, Clare James, Charlotte Garden Jennifer Wood
- The final looked set to be a showcase of some of the best climbers the UK has to offer along with a few international WADS and local climbers thrown in to the mix. The final problems were set by the Depot routesetter/beast Tom Newman, Barrowford's finest - Dave Sutcliffe, wall building mastermind Luke Bowers and the Yorkshire climbing legend Steve Dunning. Competitors had to attempt 4 problems ranging from font 7A+ to font 7C+, whilst DJ dangerous Dave provided inspirational beats and Dunning provided some humorous/encouraging commentary.
As expected the finalists did not let the crowd down and every competitor held their own. The audience were witness to amazing feats of power and some radical displays of technical ability.
The final results are as follows:
- Female – Joint 1st Alex Puccio and Shauna Coxsey, 2nd Diane Merrick, 3rd Charlotte Green, 4th Jennifer Wood, 5th Clare James and 6th Lucy Mitchell
- Male – 1st Chris Webb Parsons, 2nd Dave Barrans, 3rd Adam Watson, 4th James Garden, joint 5th Gary Vincent + Nathan Phillips and Joint 6th Roddy Mckenzie + Tim Palmer
Full results are available here.
( Read more | 7 comments, 25 Nov 2011
This news story has been read 3,975 times