Plas y Brenin Expedition Symposium - A Sell Out Successadded Nov/2009
Product news by Jack Geldard - UKC Chief Editor
Over the weekend of 7-8 November 2009 Plas y Brenin hosted a Mountaineering, Climbing and Trekking Expedition Symposium. It was for all those interested in undertaking an expedition, at any level, anywhere in the world.
The symposium was over-subscribed with 100 attendees.
- More information on the symposium is in this UKC Article.
The weekend started with a really inspiring illustrated lecture on the Friday evening by James McHaffie on Madagascar and Alpine rock climbing.
The symposium itself featured a dazzling selection of workshops delivered by 30 MTT staff and hand picked expedition experts on Saturday and Sunday. These included:
- The team and style - Olly Sanders
- Remote first aid - Rimon Than
- Women's issues - Rocio Siemens
- Staying healthy - Dr Juliette Kemp and Dr Olly Kemp
- Where and when to go - Jon 'Spike' Green and Nick Colton
- Expedition planning and logistics - Olly Sanders
- Glacial travel - Paul Warnock
- Water hazards and river crossing - Dino Heald
- Big wall climbing - Mark Reeves
- Going lightweight - Kenton Cool
- Expedition photography and film - Ray Wood
- GPS masterclass - Carlo Forte
- Emergency use of ropes for trekkers - Helen Teasdale
- Sport climbing trips - James McHaffie
- Power sources - Dino Heald and Pete Robertson
- Cooking in the Mountains - Rocio Siemens
- Emergency procedures - Rimon Than
- Dealing with altitude - Dr Juliette Kemp and Kenton Cool
- DMM equipment - Chris Rowlands
- Lyon Equipment - Pete Robertson
- Mountain Equipment - Rich Talbot
- Applying for grants - Nick Colton BMC
The atmosphere at the symposium was fantastic with superlatives being heard at every turn.
The symposium was ably fronted by Stu McAleese who was assisted by Pete Catterall.
Gear News and Outdoor Industry News at UKC and UKH presents climbing, walking and mountaineering equipment and stories that will be of interest to UKClimbing.com's readers. They are not gear reviews and are provided by companies that advertise with UKClimbing Limited. Please feel free to comment about the stories and products on the associated thread.