Banff Mountain Film Festival Touring the UK in 2010added Feb/2010, see all Banff UK Tour news & reviews
Product news by Simon Piper
One of the largest and most prestigious mountain festivals in the world, the Banff Film Festival features a collection of inspiring films, with subject matter ranging from adrenaline-packed action sports to exploration of remote landscapes and cultures.
Following the Banff festival in the Canadian Rockies, the films hit the road and travel to more than 30 countries across the globe and persuade more than 200,000 people each year to gather indoors to celebrate the outdoors.
The tour will bring the collection of inspiring mountain films to centres across the UK and will complement the existing Banff screenings at Fort William and Dundee mountain film festivals.
Some of the award-winning mountain-based films include:
- First Ascent: Alone on the Wall - This film documents the story of the groundbreaking and terrifying free-solo ascents (no ropes!) of Alex Honnold, one of the world's most accomplished rock climbers.
- Hunlen - Will Gadd and EJ Plimley battle to climb one of the biggest frozen waterfalls in Canada - but it isn't completely frozen!
- To The Rainbow - Paul Pritchard was one of Britain's most talented climbers until a head injury received while climbing almost killed him and leaves him partly disabled. Now, 13 years on, he makes an emotional return to climbing.
- Progression - World Cup - Focuses on veteran Spanish sport climber Patxi Usobiaga and Austrian Johanna Ernst as they train for and compete in the intensively competitive World Cup climbing circuit.
A selection of other mountain based films will also be shown featuring mountain biking, skiing/snowboarding, whitewater kayaking (including a 60m waterfall drop), speed flying (a cross between paragliding and skiing), horseracing, and even a film about a German engineer aiming to build the world's biggest waterslide.
Up-coming UK tour dates include:
- 3 Feb - Union Chapel, Islington, London (7:30pm)
- 4 Feb - Union Chapel, Islington, London (7:30pm)
- 6 Feb - Theatre By The Lake, Keswick (7:30pm)
- 11 Feb - Komedia Club, Brighton (7:30pm)
- 13 Feb - Dancehouse Theatre, Manchester (7:30pm)
- 18 Feb - Carriageworks Theatre, Leeds (7:30pm)
- 20 Feb - Theatr Mwldan, Cardigan (7:50pm)
- 21 Feb - Carriageworks Theatre, Leeds (3:00pm)
For full details of the films showing and to purchase tickets head to: www.banff-uk.com
Gear News and Outdoor Industry News at UKC and UKH presents climbing, walking and mountaineering equipment and stories that will be of interest to UKClimbing.com's readers. They are not gear reviews and are provided by companies that advertise with UKClimbing Limited. Please feel free to comment about the stories and products on the associated thread.