Like Cake? Plas y Brenin's Top Secret Cake Recipes Revealedadded Feb/2011, see all Plas y Brenin news & reviews
Product news by Michael Ryan
PyB Carrot Cake
Over the years Plas y Brenin's cakes have become legendary and seem to be a lasting memory that many share. Now you can make our cakes in the comfort of your own home as our chefs reveal the recipes that have been satisfying the hungriest of outdoor enthuisasts for decades. As the weeks go by we'll be adding more and more of our cake recipes to this page, so if your favourite isn't listed below come back in a few weeks and it may well be there.
John Preston' s recipe for: Carrot Cake
- 9 fl oz Melted Margarine (slightly cooled)
- 4 Eggs
- 8 oz S.R. Flour
- 8 oz Soft Brown Sugar
- 5 oz Carrots (peeled and finely grated)
- Half a Teaspoon Bicarbonate of Soda
- 5 oz Chopped Walnuts
For the Icing
- 1.5 oz Butter
- 6 oz Cream Cheese
- 10.5 oz Icing Sugar
- Preheat oven to 180░C Grease 2 x 8 inch cake tins (for 12) or 3 large baking trays (for 108)
- Sift together the flour and spices.
- Finely grate the carrots. (I use a parmesan grater)
- Finely chop the walnuts (in a food processor works best)
- Whisk the sugar and eggs until thick and creamy.
- Pour in the cooled margarine.
- Fold in the remaining ingredients.
- Divide between your greased trays. Bake for 25 mins or until the cake springs back when pressed in the centre.
- Turn out onto a wire cooling tray and cool thoroughly.
For the icing mix all the ingredients together until smooth and creamy.
Use the icing to fill the cake and cover the top and sides, decorate with chopped walnuts and walnut halves.
More PyB Receipes at www.pyb.co.uk/cakes
Gear News and Outdoor Industry News at UKC and UKH presents climbing, walking and mountaineering equipment and stories that will be of interest to UKClimbing.com's readers. They are not gear reviews and are provided by companies that advertise with UKClimbing Limited. Please feel free to comment about the stories and products on the associated thread.