Reel Rock 8 UK Premiere – The Everest 'Incident', Hazel Findlay & First Ascentsadded Sep/2013, see all Reel Rock UK news & reviews
announcement by Reel Rock UK
The ultimate collection of brand new climbing films will be premiering on the big screen across the UK this autumn as part of the Reel Rock Tour. Kicking off in Lancaster on October 2, this year’s Reel Rock Film Tour features climbing icons and alpine legends Ueli Steck, Simone Moro, Hazel Findlay, Emily Harrington, Daniel Woods and Yuji Hirayama.
Founded in 2006 by Josh Lowell and Peter Mortimer, the Reel Rock Film Tour has grown to more than 400 screenings and was seen by more than 100,000 people across the globe last year. Following it’s first UK theatre tour last year, the Reel Rock Tour is heading back to the UK with more than 20 screenings planned in 2013. This year’s line-up of films include Britain’s own Hazel Findlay as well as Simone Moro and Ueli Steck and an exclusive insight of their violent clash with sherpas that occurred on Everest earlier this year.
The first woman to climb E9, Hazel Findlay is a connoisseur of loose rock, dodgy gear, and big runouts. Having mastered the scrappy seacliffs at home in the UK she teams up with Emily Harrington to tackle the massive, untamed bigwalls of Taghia Gorge, Morocco.
Yuji Hirayama, one of the great legends of modern climbing plans one big swan-song mission before retirement. The project will be one of his hardest ever - at the spectacular summit of Mount Kinabalu, on the island of Borneo. But first he must find the right partner.
Enter Daniel Woods, the young American boulderer who is one of the strongest humans in the climbing world. Lacking Mountain experience, Daniel-San travels to Japan to prove himself worthy of Hirayama's mentorship, and the unlikely duo team up for the expedition of a lifetime.
Ueli Steck and Simone Moro, one of the strongest duos in alpinism, were reportedly attacked by a crowd of angry sherpas at Camp 2 while attempting a cutting edge new route on Everest. Fearing for their lives, the climbers fled the mountain, and the incident sparked an international flurry of gasps and angry recrimination from all sides.
Amidst the bizarre event the REEL ROCK film crew, embedded with the climbing team, provide an exclusive insight into what happened that day and why.
There will be loads of free prize giveaways at the theatre screenings including thousands of Clif Bars, and gear from The North Face, Ellis Brigham and SueMe.
The 2013 UK Tour dates include:
- 2 October The Lancaster Grand Theatre, Lancaster
- 3 October Beaufort Theatr, Ebbw Vale
- 4 October The Grand Pavilion, Matlock Bath
- 5 October Theatr Colwyn, Colwyn Bay
- 9 October Regal Community Theatre, Bathgate
- 10 October Spey Valley Cinema, Aviemore
- 11 October Sea Life Cinema, Loch Lomond
- 12 October Rothes Hall, Glenrothes
- 15 October The Crescent Theatre, Birmingham
- 16, 17 October Conway Hall, London
- 18 October Rheged Centre, Penrith
- 19 October Joseph Rowntree Theatre, York
- 18 October Westway Climbing Centre, London
- 20 October The Climbing Works, Sheffield
- 22 October Peninsula Arts, Plymouth
- 23 October The Nuffield Theatre, Southampton
- 3 November The Climbing Works, Sheffield
- 6 November The Chemistry Theatre, Bristol
- 27 December Tyneside Cinema, Newcastle
For more details of the films, locations and to buy tickets head to www.reelrock.co.uk
Gear News and Outdoor Industry News at UKC and UKH presents climbing, walking and mountaineering equipment and stories that will be of interest to UKClimbing.com's readers. They are not gear reviews and are provided by companies that advertise with UKClimbing Limited. Please feel free to comment about the stories and products on the associated thread.