UKC

Advice on locations for guided trad

Please Register as a New User in order to reply to this topic.
 cleghm01 06 May 2024

My son (14) is mad about learning some trad and I need some advice on good starter crags for us to do a day or two guided. 

Thinking somewhere in the Peak district (Birchen?) might be a good spot but would love folks' suggestions. 

Thanks in advance!

Post edited at 07:12
In reply to cleghm01:

The instructor that you go with is the best person to choose a venue. When you book with them be clear about whether you want to be taken climbing or want to be taught how to safely climb with trad gear. Have fun.

SFar 06 May 2024
In reply to cleghm01:

The BMC do subsidised/free trad climbing courses for young people in various places across the UK - see the bottom of this page: https://www.thebmc.co.uk/outdoor-trad-climbing-days-for-young-people?_ga=2....

Might be more of a faff to schedule, but could be a good option. 

Post edited at 08:26
 chris687 06 May 2024
In reply to cleghm01:

The Peak can be a great place for an introduction to trad climbing and there are plenty of instructors over there to guide you about. Alternatively you may think about North Wales, depending on your son's ambition. He may be more inspired by the mountain setting in Wales, being able to see larger peaks etc. and seeing where trad may take you. Equally there are plenty of instructors around North Wales who can help you out (including me). 

Drop me a message if you would like any specific info

LucaC 06 May 2024
In reply to cleghm01:

As previously mentioned, your instructor will pick the best spot for the weather forecast you have on the day. 

If you’re local to the Peak then it would make sense to go there, but if you’re going to be visiting something more local regularly then it would be better to go there.

OP cleghm01 06 May 2024
In reply to SFar:

Oh amazing thank you, didn't know about these. 

OP cleghm01 06 May 2024
In reply to chris687: Thanks, appreciate the suggestion re Wales, certainly plenty to inspire him there, hadn't thought about it that way 🙏🏼

Please Register as a New User in order to reply to this topic.
Loading Notifications...