This is the ninth in a 12-part series from Climbing Magazine, Wild Country and Red Chili, demonstrating and explaining the basic skills needed to be safe on the crags. In this episode, Julie Ellison, Climbing Magazine's Gear Editor, talks us through abseiling, a very important skill for backing off and accessing sea cliffs.
There can be differences in standard practice between the USA and the UK, and some beginners may have been taught very slightly different techniques at their local climbing wall or club. However the methods in this video series are simple, easy to understand and if done correctly, safe. As always, feel free to discuss alternative methods in the forums.
Rock Climbing Basics 9: Extending a Rappel - from Wild Country, Red Chili and Climbing Magazine. Wild Country and Climbing Magazine have produced a series of 'How To' videos designed to demonstrate basic climbing skills and techniques. In this video Julie Ellison, Climbing Magazine Gear Editor, shows how to extend a rappel. Rappelling (or abseiling) is one of the parts of the sport which can be very dangerous and the techniques which Julie shows hopefully make a simple way of securing yourself and optimising your rappel.
- REVIEW: Totem Basic Cams 25 Aug, 2015
- The Five Best E2 Routes in the UK? 3 Oct, 2014
- INTERVIEW: Wideboyz On the Brown & Whillans Challenge 22 Sep, 2014
- REVIEW: Mammut Ophir Harness 22 Aug, 2014
- REVIEW: Mammut Infinity 9.5mm Single Rope 7 Aug, 2014
- INTERVIEW: IFSC Silver for Shauna Coxsey 8 Jul, 2014
- Wild Country's 'Learn to Lead' Part 5 7 Jul, 2014
- Wild Country's 'Learn to Lead' Part 4 30 Jun, 2014
- Wild Country's 'Learn to Lead' Part 3 23 Jun, 2014
- INTERVIEW: Steve McClure on Strawberries Onsight 18 Jun, 2014