UKC

11 speed Ultegra playing up

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.

I got a new bike last year with 11 speed Ultegra fitted. For the last few rides I've noticed that sometimes, when I shift quickly to the smaller cogs at the rear (higher gear), the chain will be thrown off the big cog at the front. This is a bit of a pain as momentum is lost while it sorts itself out.

Anyone else had this sort of issue? I had 10 speed Ultegra on my previous bike and that worked pretty much perfectly for five years or so.

Removed User 07 Jun 2018
In reply to DubyaJamesDubya:

Thrown off the crank side? Like right off?

In reply to Removed User:

Sorry should have been clearer. Actually thrown down to the smaller cog at the front (opposite to what I would expect)

summo 07 Jun 2018

Springs in the rear mech? Sounds like the slack in the chain from going down in size on the rear, is not being taken up quick enough and it's causing the front to jump. 

Removed User 07 Jun 2018
In reply to summo:

Or maybe the chain is too long? with a similar effect?

My Ultegra 11 spd is faultless in operation.

You can change spring tension I think if that is the problem, but requires a dismantle of the top pivot.

Post edited at 14:00
 summo 07 Jun 2018
In reply to Removed User:

Either. There must be a little ripple of chain coming forwards that is lifting or flicking it off.

Dark-Cloud 07 Jun 2018

Given the other thread i am assuming this is mechanical and not Di2 but as mechanical always works its a weird one ;-]

Does the front mech stay where it is ? If its adjusted properly it shouldn't really be able to get back to the inside, sounds like a front mech adjustment issue to me with a little bit of chainline funkyness thrown in

In reply to summo:

> Either. There must be a little ripple of chain coming forwards that is lifting or flicking it off.

Some sort of ripple effect seems the only explanation, just not sure how to fix it. Will try the tension.

In reply to Dark-Cloud:

When in the bigger cogs at the back you adjust the front mech to stop chain rub. I suspect this give the chain the leeway to jump but it still shouldn't.

In reply to summo:

> Springs in the rear mech? Sounds like the slack in the chain from going down in size on the rear, is not being taken up quick enough and it's causing the front to jump. 

I believe I found the cause. The chain-ring bolts were working loose (they may have used and unsuitable thread-lock material - not oil resistant) The bolts got so loose I could here the rings rattling. Since I tightened them it seems fine.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...