UKC

160 mile cycle to work

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Yohan 07 May 2020

I am due to go offshore next week and normally get the train. My company have advised to travel alone where possible. Would I be ripping the arse out of it cycling up over 2 or 3 days and wild camping on route? 

TobyA 07 May 2020
In reply to Yohan:

I guess it depends on how much you are used to cycling? 160 miles is 257 kms. The most I've cycled in a day was 205 kms - that was with a small group and with no gear beyond the normal you take for a day ride. I've done 175 km sort of distances a number of times in a day on my own. I would have thought 2 days of 130 km would be fine - what sort of route would you take? Hilly or flat? If the wind is against you it makes a big difference. Have you got bikepacking gear - you can get a long away with two dry bags one strapped to your bars and one strapped under your saddle.

ScraggyGoat 07 May 2020
In reply to Yohan:

If it all went fine no one would know or care.

If you get part way, and have a mechanical failure, or meet a unsympathetic copper...whats your plan B to make your check-in on time? 

If you didn't make the departure, it would lead to lots of interesting conversations between you, your boss, the client, any rush stand-in, or back-to-back left offshore...and the possibility of a 'special' depending on your role / rig activity to get you out there

Obviously people miss offshore check ins from time-to-time, but during a down-turn I don't think I'd take the risk of standing out.............so plan B needs to be 'solid'.

Yanis Nayu 07 May 2020
In reply to Yohan:

Sounds ace. 

AndyC 07 May 2020
In reply to Yohan:

Try a one-way car rental on expenses... you know it makes sense!

PS: I used to do Aberdeen to Plymouth and vice-versa when I worked offshore UK. There were no speed cameras back then!

Post edited at 11:16
 elsewhere 07 May 2020
In reply to Yohan:

Plan A or plan B...

...last time I was on a train (25th March) they were almost empty and staff outnumbered passengers at Glasgow Central. It was easy to meet distancing of no closer than 2 metres for 15 minutes.

Take alcohol gel, maybe cleaning wipes & mask?

Slide 4 of No. 10 daily briefing says National Rail passengers only about 3% of normal.

Unless they have reduced trains to 1 per day to Aberdeen the trains will be almost empty?

https://assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/...

Post edited at 12:18
 Richard Horn 07 May 2020
In reply to Yohan:

Do it - although I would:

- Make sure you can deal with common bicycle malfunctions - puncture, broken chain etc. 

- Have some decent navigation - when doing a long distance journey going off route can be massively demoralising, tiring and add a lot of time. Your 80 miles a day could quickly go over 100 miles a day. Generally I find phones a are pretty inadequate for this, screen is unreadable if its sunny, it will run out of battery with the GPS on, and if you do get lost you can guarantee you wont have a phone signal. So take a map, or better still see if someone can lend you a Garmin and pre-program the route.

nniff 07 May 2020
In reply to Yohan:

It also depends on how much clatch you need to take with you for while you are away.  It won't take much for your ride to work to become a real slog

In reply to Yohan:

That would be good. 257km is shorter than most audaxes. Light and fast it would take you about 12 hours including 2 hours break. If you are carrying a lot of kit, you might need a couple of hours kip in a field. 

OP Yohan 07 May 2020
In reply to Yohan:

Thanks for all your replies. Company has just rolled out covid testing prior to mobilisation which will mean leaving home earlier than expected so I wouldnt want to leave earlier to bike it when folk need me at home  

Nesbit Jones 14 May 2020

You may have to check on your wheels and tires as well. Go for the ones which has a tight grip on the rough road. You might find a few of them from 4WheelOnline.

Phil1919 14 May 2020
In reply to Yohan:

I traveled by train from Kendal to Bristol via Birmingham yesterday. Empty.......everywhere. Out of the rush hours.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...