UKC

2nd hand road bike prices ?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 mike123 31 Jul 2022

I’ve just been idly searching eBay for road bike bits and it seems to me that secondhand  full bikes have really come down in price ? I’ve been looking in and chatting to local bike shops and they all say stock of road bikes is still ( post covid ) hard to come by due to component shortages so I would have thought secondhand prices would still be high ? Nothing in my size at the moment but  there are a few proper high end bikes which would have been £8 k plus for around £3k . Seems pretty reasonable to me. 

ChrisJD 31 Jul 2022
In reply to mike123:

>  high end bikes which would have been £8 k plus for around £3k . Seems pretty reasonable to me. 

Probably doesn't feel that reasonable for the sellers!

Post edited at 09:53
 RobAJones 31 Jul 2022
In reply to mike123:

I've just been told "no you're not getting another bike" 😊, but am now hoping something similar will happen to the price of secondhand vans and sea kayaks. 

nikoid 31 Jul 2022
In reply to ChrisJD:

Yes I would agree. I wasn't looking at high end stuff but at bikes that were £1000 ish new in 2020 that are going for half that now and had hardly been used. 

jethro kiernan 31 Jul 2022
In reply to mike123:

I have put together a gravel bike build last year and getting second hand parts was a struggle fortunately I always viewed it as a slow project, for instance used XT rear sprocket (42) took me two months too find and a lot of second hand ones were advertised for more than retail.

seems to have eased of now and it looks like it is a good time to buy

High end bikes always dropped in price, if your spending that much on a bike your always going to want it to be just so not someone else’s just so

Post edited at 10:12
 ChrisJD 31 Jul 2022
In reply to jethro kiernan:

Your bike all finished now?

mik82 31 Jul 2022
In reply to RobAJones:

> I've just been told "no you're not getting another bike" 😊, but am now hoping something similar will happen to the price of secondhand vans and sea kayaks. 

And houses!

Marek 31 Jul 2022
In reply to nikoid:

I think there was a 'golden window' for 2nd hand bikes at the end of lockdown when people who'd bought completely inappropriate bikes (e.g., middle aged couch potatoes buying high-end crit bikes) decided to get rid of them. I'd assumed that time had passed.

jethro kiernan 31 Jul 2022
In reply to ChrisJD:

Your bike all finished now?

Nearly there, I put it away for a while but i've just cut the steerer to size so just hydraulics and bar tape to do and i'm good to go

In reply to RobAJones:

> I've just been told "no you're not getting another bike" 😊, but am now hoping something similar will happen to the price of secondhand vans and sea kayaks. 

Give it two years,the shine will have worn off staycationing and all those grey Amazon vans will hit the market once the warranty expires. I am hoping to nurse my van through till then.

Bikes, all those lockdown cyclist are now finding they don't have the time,the roads are too busy now etc and starting to flood the market.

OP mike123 31 Jul 2022
In reply to mike123: just chatting to my brother , his neighbour drove from mull to London to pick a virtually unused pinerello dogma , durace di 2 ,  all the bells and whistles for £4k . £10 k bike ? When he got their the guy wandered around his Appartment picking up bike stuff  , garmin , wahoo , tri bars etc  all either new or barley used and said you may as well have these  . 

Maggot 31 Jul 2022
In reply to mike123:

There's bargains to be had.

Got an 8 year old Cannondale Synapse for my daughter last week, with extras, for £100.

Been sat in a garage for the last 6 years, hour or two fettling, you'd be hard pressed to tell it wasn't a brand new bike.

The New NickB 01 Aug 2022
In reply to RobAJones:

A mate recently sold a T6 California that he had for 5 years, for more than he paid for it. He did think prices were slowly falling though.

Andrew Lodge 01 Aug 2022
In reply to The New NickB:

I reckon van prices will stay high until all the vans bought at the end of lockdown come to the end of the three year lease cycle, when they all come onto the market prices could well collapse.

Wainers44 01 Aug 2022
In reply to Andrew Lodge:

> I reckon van prices will stay high until all the vans bought at the end of lockdown come to the end of the three year lease cycle, when they all come onto the market prices could well collapse.

Honestly can't see that. The staycation bit will reduce as it rains for a solid fortnight on the tent,  but think many will then decide the van is the next great idea?

LastBoyScout 01 Aug 2022
In reply to mike123:

Yeah - kicking myself a bit for not getting the tandem on eBay in 2020, but just didn't have time to get it out, take pictures and fettle it into a state I'd be happy to sell it in.

MisterPiggy 01 Aug 2022
In reply to mike123:

https://pca.st/episode/031122ce-28c8-43c5-996f-c12eb1db3ab2

Hi Mike, this episode of The Spokesman podcast seems to explain quite well what's going on.

j

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...