UKC

Adaptive bikes for care homes

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 girlymonkey 16 Feb 2022

I'm not sure if this is the right place, but I know there are so many people with varied experiences on here so hopefully someone can help!

I have been working during the pandemic as a support worker in a longterm assisted living facility for adults with longterm mental health needs. There are a lot of physical limitations that people have alongside this (sometimes unrelated to the mental health, sometimes medications side effects etc). I have suggested to my boss that it would be amazing if we could have a couple of side by side tandems that support workers and residents could use together to go to the shops, cafes etc. Currently, support workers take them in their cars. She likes the idea in principle, but has asked me to find out more to see if it is feasible.

The bikes are very pricey (around £5000 each). Are there funds available somewhere for projects like this? We are in Scotland.

Are there courses to train the support workers? A bit like bikeability but for adaptive bikes?

Is there some sort of insurance they we should have? When support workers use their cars, they have business use on the car insurance, so some sort of 3rd party liability type insurance.

Anything else I haven't thought of?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...