UKC

Aldi cycling softshell

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
iamaclimber 11 Dec 2013
Hi

Has anyone any experience of Aldi's cycling soft-shell for road biking in the winter months? How does it perform at temps say around 5 degrees? Do you wear your normal cycling jersey underneath or do you tend just wear it against the skin?
 cousin nick 11 Dec 2013
In reply to iamaclimber:

SWMBO has one and wears it over a merino base layer in winter. She says its 'toasty'.
N
 RankAmateur 11 Dec 2013
In reply to iamaclimber:

I've got one that's about 5 years old. Works a treat with just a t-shirt underneath.
No idea what the new ones are like as the old one is still going strong.

Apart from the rear zip pocket. The zip bust last year.
In reply to iamaclimber:

Depends on which model you've got. I always wear a wicking baselayer anyway. Mine Aldi top is about 2 years old has a windblock front to the body and arms and can get a bit sweaty even in the coldest of weather.

The new ones are better.
 Warren Earle 11 Dec 2013
In reply to iamaclimber:

I have two of this years Aldi cycling shells the normal £18 and the pro version (£30) , i always wear a baselayer either lambswool or merino the normal model is thicker more windproof showerproof and less breathable. Initially it is very warm but if the air temp warms, or if i am really going for it ( I ride sportives) afters 2hr + my base layer gets saturated and i will actually start to feel colder , with the pro model you start off colder as it is thinner but will stay comfortable as you warm up and it breaths more therefore you stay drier. The pockets in the cheap one are really good though, they are larger, deeper and easy to get into while your cycling even with thick gloves. You can carry loads of food or spares or whatever.
andy guppy 11 Dec 2013
In reply to iamaclimber:

Zips are poor........ main zip only lasted a few months :[
Guppy
georgefrancis 11 Dec 2013
In reply to iamaclimber:

I bought a winter jersey and a softshell jacket in september, on the recommendation from workmates who have used them for years in all weathers and although i don't ride as much as they do in winter, i would recommend them also.The winter trousers are also warm but the fit is not so good around the waist.I also got some of the £2:99 winter gloves and for the price they were great,as well as more expensive gloves i have bought.
georgefrancis 11 Dec 2013
In reply to iamaclimber:

Forgot to add that in the times i have used them in the cold i havn't had the need for base layers under them both as i have been quite warm enough without.
 LastBoyScout 11 Dec 2013
In reply to iamaclimber:

I have one. So far, it seems fine with just a T-shirt under it, but I've not been that far in it.

I find the forearms quite snug on me, so not sure I'd want to wear anything long-sleeved under it.
 Lhod 12 Dec 2013
In reply to iamaclimber:

I got one of the soft shell jackets a month or two ago. I've worn it a few times over a thin long sleeved wicking layer and I've been warm almost to the point of having to take it off every time. I think it would be best in around -10 to zero degrees (for me at least - I tend to get pretty warm).

I also got a pair of the winter leggings, which are brilliant. Again, they are still a bit on the warm side so far.
iamaclimber 13 Dec 2013
In reply to iamaclimber:

Thanks all. I'll have an experiment with my new one.
 Si Withington 13 Dec 2013
In reply to iamaclimber:

Rode in mine the other day. Was a clear, cool day. Probably around 4 degrees. Wore it over my normal short-sleaved jersey and it worked well. Only hot on the climbs, which is always going to happen. Did a good job of blocking the wind. Pretty good for the (very low) price.

Si
 Shuttsie 07 Jan 2014
In reply to iamaclimber:

Aldi soft shell is excellent with long sleeve thermal under in these temps.

The thin Aldi lightweight waterproof/windproof is just a sweat bag. Spend the money and get something breathable if you need one of these.
 Kieran_John 08 Jan 2014
In reply to iamaclimber:

I've been wearing all Aldi gear this winter and haven't had a problem. I picked up:

- A base layer
- a few t-shirts
- a cycling jumper thingy
- A softshell jacket.

This year I've mostly just worn the t-shirt and the jacket. On cooler days I've shoved the base layer on but I found I was getting too warm.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...