UKC

annoying clicking noise

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 subtle 05 Apr 2019

Have noticed an annoying clicking noise when on the bike, appear when either freewheeling or peddling - but only when I'm standing out the saddle, doesn't happen when I sit in the saddle

Bike has disk brakes, have checked all spokes and all good, bottom bracket replaced recently but think the noise coming from the wheels as opposed to there - any ideas as to what it could be? 

summo 05 Apr 2019
In reply to subtle:

Lollipop stick or playing card wedged in your bike frame? 

OP subtle 05 Apr 2019
In reply to summo:

> Lollipop stick or playing card wedged in your bike frame? 

Yeh, I'd checked for that when looking at the spokes and doesn't seem to be anything there

elsewhere 05 Apr 2019
In reply to subtle:

We need a permanent sticky thread for clicky things as they are a permanent bane of cyclists  .

Lots of ideas here https://www.ukclimbing.com/forums/biking/irritating_clicking_sound_-_advice...

Post edited at 10:57
In reply to subtle:

How often is it clicking ? is it occasional or constant ?

I had a weird clicking noise and eventually figured it was a quick release leaver and seatpost not quite tight enough.   

Post edited at 11:00
In reply to subtle:

That is odd. Loose spoke?

summo 05 Apr 2019
In reply to subtle:

If it's built up over time louder and louder over the miles then it might bearing or chain related. Are you gears set up perfectly? Does it make a sound in all gears, all speeds? Does the click repeat relative to road or pedal speed. It's a game of elimination.

Use a bike stand or flip it over and try to locate it. Much easier without wind and road noise.

It could be something random like just a few cms of cable end that's now sticking out in the wrong direction. 

OP subtle 05 Apr 2019
In reply to elsewhere:

> We need a permanent sticky thread for clicky things as they are a permanent bane of cyclists  .

Thanks - lots of things to consider on that - will try the QR as I normally have them way too tight  

Gone for good 05 Apr 2019
In reply to subtle:

I had something similar to this recently and asked the same question when out on my bike last Saturday. Only audible when stood on the pedals going uphill. Apparently the noise I heard was caused by the seating of the front wheel. Simply loosen the skewer, rotate the wheel slightly in the front forks and then retighten.  It fixed my problem.

Fruitbat 05 Apr 2019
In reply to subtle:

Could be any of a hundred things, as suggested on this thread and the one linked by elsewhere. One thing that drew my attention was that you say it only occurs when standing so maybe it's something affected by putting more weight on the bars/over the front end: look at the bars and stem fixings and interface, spokes flexing, disc out-of true. As you say it seems to be from the wheels, do you think it's the front or rear?

stevevans5 05 Apr 2019
In reply to subtle:

Take the front wheel off, put it sideways on the ground with your hands on opposite sides and put a bit of downward force in, then flip over and do the same. Do this at a few points round the circumference, and see if you get the same noise. This will see if it's spoke related. I had a bike with super creaky spokes, took me ages to figure it out though.

To test the front end in general you could hold the front wheel between your legs and try and bend the handlebars side to side. If neither of these are your noise, then maybe try putting side to side force on the pedals without the bike moving to see if it is the bottom bracket or cranks (if the cranks are a bit loose you can get a similar noise)

balmybaldwin 05 Apr 2019
In reply to subtle:

Sounds a bit like a cracked (front) wheel bearing, but could be as simple as a stone stuck in the tyre.... 

Also have you checked your knees?

Post edited at 17:54
 DaveHK 05 Apr 2019
In reply to subtle:

The easiest solution is just to accept it and sing along:

youtube.com/watch?v=Tx1XIm6q4r4&

Yanis Nayu 05 Apr 2019
In reply to subtle:

Skewers always the first things to check/reseat. 

nniff 06 Apr 2019
In reply to subtle:

Skewers

Cleat bolts

Seat post (even when standing)

Bottom bracket

Stem bolts

Pedal spindles (run them out, grease them and put them back in)

Front Derailleur cable catching

Burr on chain, ring or sprocket

All not necessarily in that order.  Leading contenders are seat post and BB

ianstevens 07 Apr 2019
In reply to summo:

> Use a bike stand or flip it over and try to locate it. Much easier without wind and road noise.

Flipping bikes over should be made a criminal offence

DaveHK 07 Apr 2019
In reply to ianstevens:

> Flipping bikes over should be made a criminal offence

Never understood why some people get their knickers in a twist over that.

OP subtle 16 Apr 2019
In reply to all:

Thanks

Spokes checked again

Front and rear skewers fiddled with

Seat post fiddled with

Knees checked

Front wheel off and on

Rear wheel off and on

Noise now appears to be rear disk brake hitting off the rear disk pads - pads fine so guess there's something on the disk hitting the pads - oh well, I can live with it and guess the rear pad(s) will just wear down faster (can't see anything on the disk though)

summo 16 Apr 2019
In reply to subtle:

There will be adjusters on either side you rotate to avoid skimming the disc. Unless your disc is bent.  

OP subtle 16 Apr 2019
In reply to summo:

> There will be adjusters on either side you rotate to avoid skimming the disc. Unless your disc is bent.  

Oooh, didn't realise that - thought only way was to adjust the wheel skewer - off to look at any adjusters on the brakes - cheers!

cb294 16 Apr 2019
In reply to subtle:

The quick and dirty way is to open the screws holding the brake, pull the brake lever so the pads clamp onto the disc, tighten the screws holding the brake to fix the brake in its new position, and then release the brake lever. Easiest with someone lending you a hand, otherwise use a rubber band (or tape) to pull the brake lever while you work on the other end of the bike!

CB

GrahamD 16 Apr 2019
In reply to subtle:

My bike recently developed an annoying creaking/clicking sound which for all the world sounded like the back wheel.  Took LBS about 20 seconds this afternoon to identify the problem as being headset !

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...