UKC

Anyone tried an Xtracycle?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Toerag 16 Mar 2018

Has anyone here any experience of the Xtracycle 'Leap' conversion which turns a normal bike into a cargo bike? My missus is toying with the idea of an electric 'boxbike' for transporting our kids and shopping, but cost, storage and long-term usefulness are questionable. I came across the Xtracycle conversion and it would appear to be a potentially good option - cheaper than a boxbike, safer than putting the kids in a trailer, more flexible in the long term.

https://www.xtracycle.com/

RX-78 16 Mar 2018
In reply to Toerag:

Seems you spend a lot of cash for extras to be able to carry children. Some trailers convert to a buggy for use off the bike and give rain cover for very little ones, also would 2 wheels be more stable, imagine the kids leaning out over the bars on either size? When they are older a tag along is something to consider or a system where you attach their bike to yours?

Armadillo 16 Mar 2018
In reply to Toerag:

Can't comment on the Xtracycle option, but when I looked at this, I ended up choosing a Yuba Mundo

https://www.flickr.com/photos/arm_a_dillo/11825225393/

Pretty easy to ride, can take 2 kids on the back.  The main thing to beware of is if you build it up from the frame, costs can spiral quickly if you're not careful.

gravy 16 Mar 2018

Get a bike trailer - cheaper and easier and you get you keep your bike in near normal condition.

Tricky Dicky 16 Mar 2018
In reply to Toerag:

I've used the Hamax bike seat, a double trailer a tag-along and a trailgator.  All have pros and cons but aren't all that expensive (especially if you get secondhand) and you can change as they grow older.  Kids soon get quite heavy and want to rid etheir own bike.

OP Toerag 16 Mar 2018
In reply to RX-78:

> Seems you spend a lot of cash for extras to be able to carry children.

Agreed, but all 'non standard bike' stuff is crazy expensive and it's still cheaper than going for an electric boxbike (£4k+).  

> Some trailers convert to a buggy for use off the bike and give rain cover for very little ones, also would 2 wheels be more stable, imagine the kids leaning out over the bars on either size?

She'd rather put the kids in their waterproofs than a raincover - she has a raincover for her pram/buggy and hates it. She's against a trailer because someone won't see it and will crash into it - lots of bad visibility junctions over here and vehicle drivers who don't expect to see a bike with trailer. Stability - yes, 3 wheels are better, but it's only really an issue when stopped and loading/unloading, and she'll have the footstand for that.

>When they are older a tag along is something to consider or a system where you attach their bike to yours?

She's considered a tagalong, but it doesn't particularly solve the 'carrying stuff' problem. Her current thought process is that she'll want to take both the kids shopping or to the beach thus needs room for 2 kids (who will be 1 and 4 years old) plus purchases or beach stuff. A box trike would be more stable but is a big beast to store and park (a friend has a butchers&bikes one), and ridiculously expensive (£4k+).

Post edited at 17:05
 nniff 16 Mar 2018
In reply to Toerag:

How about one of these - not cheap but about the same size as a regular bike

http://ebiketips.road.cc/content/reviews/electric-cargo-bikes/tern-gsd-1640

OP Toerag 19 Mar 2018
In reply to nniff:

Yeah, the missus has seen those. Expensive .

Jimmy_da_hnd 02 Apr 2018
In reply to Toerag: hi there, I have been riding xtracycle in the uk now for almost three years. I do not drive a car and use them for everything. I drop my two kids off at school which is a 6 mike round trip. I use them for shopping rubs and even ikea runs. I am a Bathroom fitter and use it to carry my tools to work. I swear by them. I had a term folding frame on one kit which I found the easiest in case I wanted to jump in a taxi with it....however it was also the only frame to snap when my partner borrowed it and picked up the fallen bike with kids on the back by the handle bars?!!! Make sure you get a strong back wheel and hub. I do 100-200 miles a week on one bike and I will need a new gear set once a year (twice is better) and a chain three times minimum. Also with hopptie get two magic carpets and the kids will lie down on the back. Any questions or photos feel free to email me at bathtechbybike@gmail.com 

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...