UKC

Autumn/Winter cycling jacket advise?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.

I am in the market for a cycling jacket that will see me through my weekend rides for the next few months and spring as well. I am not sure whether to go for a just a windproof jacket or a waterproof. There seems to be a huge choice which is a bit mind boggling. I am sure the ideal situation would be to buy both but for now I think I will just stick to one.

Budget is ideally less than £200.

There seems to be a good selection of reduced jackets on Sport Pursuit 

https://www.sportpursuit.com/sales/cyclingjackets-sep18?p=2

DO any of these stand out as great choices? Or do you own the greatest all round cycling jacket already and if so, what is it?

Many thx in advance..

Bob Hughes 04 Sep 2018
In reply to Bjartur i Sumarhus:

(DISCLAIMER: I'm based in Madrid which I believe technically qualifies as the desert so take this with a pinch of salt....) 

I find that waterproof jackets get very sweaty on the bike - even well-designed ones with lots of vents and breathable fabric. The arms are hard to get air into so I always get sweaty arms. I have the Rivelo rain jacket which is absolutely lovely but i don't get much use of partly for the above reason and partly because i live in the desert. Similarly, I find that, unless i have to stop to fix a puncture or something, i am fairly happy without a waterproof even if i get caught out in a massive downpour - the trick is to keep moving and warm. 

So, I would recommend: 

Windstopper or similar softshell which keeps the wind off, has a bit of insulation and is light-showerproof but very breathable. Also can be worn against the skin (not an option with a waterproof) or over a baselayer (I have a very old sportful one which has been excellent). 

If you feel you need more get a gilet as well. Very light weight, easy to pack and keeps the worst of the cold off in a fix. You don't get sweaty arms. 

Post edited at 09:24
 the sheep 04 Sep 2018
In reply to Bob Hughes:

I agree that waterproof jackets get very sweaty. I use an Aldi wind proof cycle jacket that cost around 20 quid all through winter to commute and stick a thin waterproof over the top if its hoofing down

nniff 04 Sep 2018

This is really user specific and I run hot, but this does me:

5 degrees and above - a base layer, ordinary jersey, arm warmers and a pertex gilet.  The gilet fits easily in a jersey pocket. (Sportful Hotpack 6 - £60)

Below that temperature, I have a Castelli fleece winter jersey with heavier weight than normal lycra sleeves, and a Specialized pertex jacket (also fits in a jersey pocket easily)  About £100 and £60 respectively.

The key to me is to be able to regulate temperature - I rarely wear windproof stuff for a whole ride because I boil.  The pertex stuff above can all be removed and tucked away.

However, best bit of kit is a Stolen Goat Orkaan waterproof jersey and arm warmers.  Lets air though and keeps most rain out.  Utterly brilliant and a lot better than Castelli Perfetto/gabba jerseys which are too windproof and hot for me.  

Castelli Mortirolo jacket - windstopper front and arms and fleece back - great at 2 degrees or so as it lets the steam out of the back.  About £140 or so I think.  Castelli Perfetto/Gabba - people rate them but I'm not wild about mine.  needs to be really cold and doesn't keep the rain out.

For my money?  Stolen Goat Orkaan Short sleeve jersey, Stolen Goat Orkaan arm warmers and a gilet - the Sportful Hotpack ones are the best I've seen - mine's on its last legs and having looked around I'll be getting another.

Tredz or Sigma Sport are good for all this stuff.  Stolen Goat sells direct, or some though Wiggle.

vscott 04 Sep 2018
In reply to Bjartur i Sumarhus: As above - waterproofs very sweaty, personal choice is a gabba/perfetto convertible (zip off sleeves great for warmer temps), water gets in eventually but find stay warm enough. Could supplement with a light waterproof or showerproof (Craft ones good) if needed and still be in budget.

In reply to Thread:

Very useful info...thx. will go and try some of these on in the local bike shops. Seems versatility of having combinations of options rather than trying to find a "one stop shop jacket" seems the way forward...very glad I asked!!

Siward 04 Sep 2018

I second the Orkaan tops, really versatile 

LastBoyScout 04 Sep 2018

Like nniff, I also tend to run hot, but these options have been doing me well for a couple of years, in order of warmth:

Short sleeve top with arm warmers (varying thickness), thicker base layer with gilet over the top if it's nippy to start with.

Long sleeve cycle top with short sleeve base layer, moving up to long sleeve base layer/arm warmers with windproof gilet over the top - quite versatile, as can easily swap about if it warms up.

Attiq Ultimate Long Sleeve jersey - quite thick, stops just short of being a softshell. Not actually used it yet, as got it just after the spring when it became too warm. Also have a similar one from Nike, but you can't get that one anymore.

Specialized Element SL Elite softshell jacket. Lovely jacket overall, but rather needs a long sleeve base layer, as the stretch panels on the arms let the wind in a bit too much at times. Did a good job last March in a rather drizzly charity ride.

Outside option - Aldi softshell which is a superb fit on me, but virtually no breathability and end up sweating buckets in it. Used exclusively for commuting/popping to the shops, where that doesn't matter and I don't mind if it gets trashed with a rucksack over the top.

I don't tend to bother with a waterproof, unless it's REALLY belting down.

Dark-Cloud 04 Sep 2018

You could do worse than have a browse here, great product at a great price and nice guys too:

https://www.prendas.co.uk/collections/jackets-gilets-bibtights

neuromancer 04 Sep 2018

Castelli Alpha

Maybe a perfetto for the warmer wet days.

BFG 04 Sep 2018

As everyone else has said, it depends on your physiology (basically, how hot you run in this case) where in the country you're cycling and what sort of weather you ride in.

I cycle commute in Leeds and if it's really horrible weather, I have a baggy on the arms mesh lined gore waterproof that wicks internally and keeps the rain off. Absolutely love the jacket, but it's not really for long road rides.

I own a couple of single layer waterproofs. Not a great fan, you get just as wet wearing one, but you're soaked in your own sweat as opposed to rain. If I'm doing distance on the bike (as opposed to just commuting) I'll usually have one in the pocket, but it doesn't often come out unless I'm fixing a flat.

Managing the water is mostly about managing my temperature, I don't mind being wet as long as I'm staying warm enough. Having slightly dodgy circulation, but generally running hot, for proper winter riding this means expensive, chunky gauntlets, arm warmers and a softshell jersey (sportful personally, though not really experimented as much as some in this thread) and a base layer when it's really cold.

For winter riding in the wet the things that I've appreciated the most have been gloves, water resistant leggings (personal thing I suspect) and mudguards.

nniff 04 Sep 2018

PS - If you decide to go for the Stolen Goat stuff pay attention to the sizing info - their Orkaan Everyday and Core stuff is regular fit - I have a 38 inch chest, 32 waist, 6 foot and 11:8 stone and medium is good, snug fit on me.  The Orkaan Race Tech stuff is sized smaller and tighter and so a large jersey is 'pinch and snap' tight on me.  If it's lashing down, and the zip's done up, nothing is going to get in at the neck.  With the neck done up, it's more comfortable on the drops - i.e. a proper race fit, but you'll be caning it to get home if it's lashing down like that anyway

The Orkaan fabric is a sort of a cross between lycra and fleece, but tough and firmly stretchy, and the back pocket panel is reflective although it doesn't look like it is

Post edited at 13:11
 wilkesley 04 Sep 2018

I have a Buffalo TECLITE CYCLE TOP. Works well from temperatures around freezing to about 12C. I just wear a Merino long sleeved top underneath. Like most Buffalo gear it is waterproof as long as you generate body heat.

Max factor 04 Sep 2018

Gore bikewear 'Active-x' material rain jacket was the best of the proper rain jackets I tried out, and the right side of budget.  Not plasticky like most, good cut, and properly waterproof. I use it all winter for the commute and layer up depending on how cold it is. 

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...