UKC

Bike cameras

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 JimR 01 Feb 2023

I regularly log reports with the police based on footage from a rear camera because I'm too lazy to put on the front camera a lot of the time. On the latest one I got a phone call from the police cos although the van logo was visible the number plate was obscured completely (guy nearly killed me on a traffic calming chicane. He was the give way vehicle and appeared to give way by slowing down and pulling in. Then speeded up and drove directly at me when I was in the middle of the chicane.). They wanted more details and they did say that they find it much easier to proceed with convictions if they have both front and rear footage. So two points 1) Front & rear 2)The police do act on reports (They are already taking another van driver to court over an incident last September). The say they often issue warning letters for first offence but build up history so if something is reported and the driver already is on their database then it is likely they will proceed further.

smbnji 01 Feb 2023
In reply to JimR:

Any camera recommendations? Only reason I haven't bothered so far is battery life. Most seem to report ~1hr recording time in the specs, but I normally ride up to 3hrs so seems a bit pointless.

OP JimR 01 Feb 2023
In reply to smbnji:

Ive got a teentok rear and it is very good, great battery life (6+ hours) and cycliq front (life less good) , I did have a couple of cycliq rears but they were good when working but not robust and Cycliq customer support were rubbish. I've just ordered a couple of Chilli bullets as its a real pain to switch cameras between my two main road bikes and I'll report on them once I've used them for a bit.

Hooo 02 Feb 2023
In reply to JimR:

I've got a Chilli cam on my helmet and submitted my first report to the police the other day. Haven't heard back yet. BMW X3 with blacked out windows and a tw@tplate, so a total cliche.

The battery life on the Chilli is pretty good, I left mine on all morning by accident and it was still recording when I got back. Must have done 3 or 4 hours.

Footage from a helmet mounted cam is really shaky, so I need to remember to hold still if something happens. But it does mean that if someone stops and gets unpleasant I can record them with the camera pointed right at them.

The clock on my Chilli cam is rubbish, it always seems to be hours out when I come to look at it. I've turned off the timestamp in the video to avoid confusion.

LastBoyScout 02 Feb 2023
In reply to smbnji:

I use a Veho Muvi K2 NPNG. Big factor in chosing that one specifically is that you can carry a spare battery and swap it if it runs out. Exact life depends on what resolution you record at.

So far, I've had a few warning letters sent out by the police and been fobbed off by Tesco, claiming they couldn't view the footage I sent them 3 times in different formats!

ozzy70 09 Feb 2023
In reply to smbnji:

If you're looking for a bike camera with a long battery life, there are a few options :

Garmin Varia UT800 - This camera has a battery life of up to 4 hours and provides a clear 1080p video recording. It also comes with features such as night vision, automatic incident detection, and live tracking.

Shimano CM-1000 - This camera has a battery life of up to 3.5 hours and records in 4K. It also has a built-in GPS for tracking your ride and a waterproof design for all weather conditions.

AKASO Brave 7 LE - This camera has a battery life of up to 2 hours, but it comes with two batteries, so you can swap them out for extended recording time. It also has 4K recording capabilities, image stabilizationization, and a waterproof design.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...