UKC

Bike Computers

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 TCP 01 Nov 2020

Any recommendations for an economy road bike computer? Not interested in cadence or power meters. Just the ability to upload to strava

Though about just using a watch but my Garmin forerunner 30 don't do cycling just running. Aparantly the Forerunner 35 does link with cycling and uploads to strava etc. I think just a very basic computer on the bike and then wearing a watch is the easiest way as you get heart rate data without wearing a chest strap + the you get the other info.

I do not need a route finder etc. Any ideas? Seems like its a bottomless pit of more and more functions many of which I do not want. 

Martin Wood 01 Nov 2020
In reply to TCP:

No need for a computer at all. If you're already wearing a watch for HR, a smart phone with the app is all you need to upload your routes, segments, etc. to Strava. 

felt 01 Nov 2020
In reply to TCP:

Garmin Edge 200. Basic, foolproof. Bingo.

nathan79 01 Nov 2020
In reply to TCP:

I picked up a Bryton Rider 15 for this purpose. Around 50quid and fairly user-friendly. 

Jim Hamilton 01 Nov 2020
In reply to TCP:

> Though about just using a watch but my Garmin forerunner 30 don't do cycling just running.

Can't you just change the activity type in Strava?

TobyA 01 Nov 2020
In reply to TCP:

I'm still using the old style and pretty cheap bike computers that measure everything from a magnet on the wheel rather than GPS. The Sigma ones I have on different bikes seem to last forever (I put one through the washing machine once - 40 degree mixed programme if you wondered! - and it emerged unscathed and has worked for years since. I then use my phone to Strava my rides - the two devices agree with each other to a surprising degree. 

They weigh just grams, tell me how fast I'm going, how far I've gone, what my average speed is etc. etc. and even if I had a fancy Garmin or Wahoo or whatever (which, on the rare occasion I ride with others who have one, always seem to go wrong - maybe I'm the bad influence!), I'm sure I'd still have my phone in my pocket to call home if necessary and to take photos.

wilkesley 01 Nov 2020
In reply to TCP:

Garmin Fenix watches can do that. You can probably pick up an old one, or second hand cheaply. Don't know what the current version of Garmin watch is, but my Fenix 3 can do that.

GrahamD 01 Nov 2020
In reply to TCP:

Are you interested in navigation ?

OP TCP 01 Nov 2020
In reply to Jim Hamilton:

Yes you can the word is that its the watch that does not push though the correct info through. I'll try it and see what happens. I think the Garmin forerunner 35 watch which is basically the same price will allow the cycling function specifically. 

OP TCP 01 Nov 2020
In reply to GrahamD:

No not bothered about that, heart rates of interest but I could wear a chest strap.

malk 01 Nov 2020
In reply to felt:

> Garmin Edge 200. Basic, foolproof. Bingo.

and outdated/unavailable? i was thinking of spending a bit more for a lot more eg eTrex Touch 25

felt 01 Nov 2020
In reply to malk:

But the OP wants less not more. I've had two and they're great. Speed, av speed, distance the only things visible. Not even a clock, unless you turn it off (?!). Elev too somewhere in there. As for availability, you can always get what you want these days, even if it's legal.

nufkin 01 Nov 2020
In reply to TCP:

>  the watch that does not push though the correct info through

I <i>think</i> you just need to remember to change the activity type before saving. When I've forgotten and listed a ride as a run things like the speeds and calorie count haven't looked right, and don't seem to correct after changing the activity

boriselbrus 02 Nov 2020
In reply to TCP:

Look on ebay for Meilan GPS units. They start at about £20 and work fine. 

Basic, and strava compatible. 

Mr Messy 28 Nov 2020
In reply to TCP:

Hi,

would you like a Garmin 500 in red.?

GrahamD 29 Nov 2020
In reply to TCP:

https://buy.garmin.com/en-GB/GB/p/611996

I'll probably get one of these when my Edge Touring gives up the ghost.

JLS 29 Nov 2020
In reply to TCP:

I’ve had the really basic Garmin Edge 200 for years.

Has performed super reliably apart from that one time it was cooked in the sun on a cafe table in Italy. Thankfully, it recovered and has be fine since. If I where to replace it, it would be again with a basic model ie the Garmin Edge 130. Colour and touch screens are more trouble than they are worth.

Post edited at 11:07
 LastBoyScout 30 Nov 2020
In reply to TobyA:

Exactly what I'm doing, except I'm using a Cateye computer. Wireless, of course.

Enty 01 Dec 2020
In reply to TCP:

I have a Wahoo Elemnt Bolt. It's an old one, maybe 2015 model. It's brilliant. The best features are:

Battery life - A couple of years ago I did a challenge ride on unfamiliar roads. We set off at 4am and finished at 18h. I had the navigation on for the whole time and the battery never died.

STRAVA Sync - I have it set ot automatically syncs to STRAVA. When I get back to the front gate after a ride, I click stop ride on the Wahoo. By the time I get in the house I'm getting comments and kudos on STRAVA.

Bluetooth - If you link it to your phone with bluetooth, notifications appear on the Wahoo. This is brilliant because I know when I have to stop and take an important call or weather I can ignore it. Essential when I'm out guiding a group.

Awesome bit of kit.

E

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...