UKC

bike lights

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 mattc 16 Nov 2013
hi neva brought any lights before and have no idea about them. would a 5w light be bright what about a 10w?? thanks
 The Norris 16 Nov 2013
In reply to mattc:

What will you be using them for? General commuting in town, unlit country lanes, night time offroad??
OP mattc 16 Nov 2013
In reply to The Norris: commuting but possibly on dark roads
OP mattc 16 Nov 2013
In reply to mattc: also could anybody recommend any lights??
 Run_Ross_Run 16 Nov 2013
In reply to mattc:

I think that your best attention will be spent looking for lights between 5 and 80 watts but also possibly 300 watts.

VS4b 17 Nov 2013
In reply to Run_Ross_Run:

I use some ebay Chinese lights on my commute (25 miles of which roughly 20 is unlit country lanes). XML t-6 LEDs claimed 1200 lumens but prob less in reality. C£20 each, run time of about 3hours so extra batteries a good idea. Awesomely bright.

Look on bikeradar for comprehensive review debate of the options.
 brokenbanjo 17 Nov 2013
In reply to mattc:

I suggest four candles.
 tim000 17 Nov 2013
In reply to mattc: have a look on e-bay . i just bought some cree lights off there and they are really bright. light up the road in front so you can see where you are going . paid £16.99 for them . if you get some tilt the light down so as not to blind oncoming driver .
 Andrew W 17 Nov 2013
In reply to mattc: I've got a couple of these http://tinyurl.com/nc3munj but both chargers stopped working so I have replaced them with one from magic shine which is much better.
 ChrisJD 17 Nov 2013
In reply to mattc:

Buying Chinese imports (some UK re-sellers) on Ebay can be a bit hit and miss. I've been lucky, but a mate bought one and the battery was useless (also wasn't UK charger).

I've also bought of these guys twice and they have been good:

http://www.bikelightsuk.com/front_bike_lights_C149.html/results=12/offset=1...

(I have two lights on bars and one on lid for off-road night righting in Peak).

The Chinese import I got (UK reseller with UK plug) was this:

http://tinyurl.com/q6hqd2a

Another mate bought these from same seller and they seemed OK:

http://tinyurl.com/qden2ac
OP mattc 17 Nov 2013
In reply to brokenbanjo: how do you avoid them blowing out??
 vark 17 Nov 2013
In reply to mattc:
If you want to spend a stupid amount of cash I can highly recommend an Exposure Strada connected to a Red Eye on the rear. Charge last for ages. Bright enough to ride down unlit roads at speed. Handle bar mount is rock solid.
 dollydog 17 Nov 2013
In reply to mattc:ive used these for four years(3 months general use per year,and the battery is still good.)they are very bright;if you arent going to use it for three weeks or more,leave on one third charge, and not on full charge;otherwise youll ruin the battery.you can charge it up to full,anytime,no need to release the charge to zero before you do. should get about a couple of hours on full charge,3.5 hours on low approx;the on off switch glows red,from green,when the battery has discharged;do turn it off at this point,otherwise youll ruin the battery.
ebay item;221289019511
In reply to mattc:

After trawling bikeradar's "which lights?" threads for about a year, I got these:-

http://www.candb-seen.co.uk/bikehead-lights/

Got 2 1200 Lumen fronts, helmet thing so one goes on the lid for off-roading, plus the 600 Lm rear (recommended - a solid red beam taillight is much better on dark roads with dangerous traffic than a little winky flashing LED), and two splitter 'Y' cables, so I could run all three from the same battery pack (usually don't - it was meant for two only) - all for little over 100squid, and I'm the brightest non-motorised thing on the road.

they are the mutt's for my likes, and tough too - couple of weeks ago I cycled into a canal in the dark,. Clipped into pedals, proper submerged, flaling about underwater. Ineresting light effects with total internal reflection on the underside of the canal's surface. Got everything out, and the lights still work brilliantly.

iPhone's dead though.
 sharpie530 25 Nov 2013
In reply to Just Another Dave:

The lights can't be that good if you cycled into a canal!
 nniff 25 Nov 2013
In reply to mattc:

I find that completely unlit roads are easier than badly lit ones or trying to spot pot holes in the face of on-coming traffic. I have two Lezyne lights - one MegaDrive and one PowerDrive which between them do a reasonable beam in front and a fill in between that and my front wheel. They manage at least 2 hours 15 minutes full beam at 0 degrees C, and longer if it's warmer. Good enough for 32 mph. The megadrive on its own is good for about 26mph, above which it just shows you the object you're about to hit.

The MegaDrive, although the weaker light, does burn for longer. USB rechargeable. You can get spare batteries for the Powerdrive.
In reply to sharpie530:

> The lights can't be that good if you cycled into a canal!

Wasn't really the light's fault. Other factors involved ...

... drink may have been taken ...

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...