UKC

Bike security- ground anchors

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.

Starting to think I need to up security for bikes. We have 4 to secure, 3 of which are wall hung and one won't be.... I was thinking maybe wall/floor anchor point with a cable running through all bikes? 

Has anyone done this and can recommend anchors and rubber coated cable or are there any other/better suggestions ?  Can a DIY idiot (me) do it?

Post edited at 19:31
 Schmiken 01 Oct 2020
In reply to idiotproof (Buxton MC):

Old tyre filled with concrete.

summo 01 Oct 2020

You can't make anything 100% secure, just use chain etc that's thick enough even a battery powered disc cutter will make some noise for a while. I set the thickest chain I could into a concrete block in the floor, then threaded what are usually motorbike chain locks through it, two together and I can go through 4 bike frames as they are on a rack together. 

I also have a stand alone battery operated pir alarm in there, and I put a string clipped to the door, fastened to a load of noisy metal, which if you open the door more than 6" without unclipping will make a lot of noise. 

Thankfully it's never been tested. 

In reply to Climbing Pieman:

Perfect... thanks, will give it a read 

LJM 04 Oct 2020

Don’t underestimate what a determined and clued up thief can achieve, especially once out of sight, inside your shed or garage; invest in good external security, including lights, and comprehensive insurance! 

Having worked in a bike shop where we were regularly asked for quotes for insurance, and discussed claims with customers, I’d rather a bike be taken outright, than someone wreck it trying.

Crazylegs 04 Oct 2020

My advice would be to first invest in things that make any thief walk on by. Doors, hinges, windows, roof, CCTV, alarm, lights etc. 

If your thief is inside with no need to rush, it doesn't really matter what you've locked your bikes with.  If experienced and tooled up, they'll get your bikes. If idiots, they'll cause a lot of damage. Either way, you'll have a mess of building damage and bike claims to make affecting your insurance for some time.  Spend money on deterrence first!

LastBoyScout 04 Oct 2020

I've got Master Lock floor anchors bolted to the wall and multiple big motorbike locks from them and Oxford - the best bike has 2 of each on it's own!

Easy to fit, but you'll need to buy a big masonry bit - 16mm usually - and have a decent hammer drill to install them.

Plus security lights, etc, outside.

jayme 08 Oct 2020

I have these in the garage

https://www.asgardsss.co.uk/bike-lock-ground-anchor

They seem to do the job and easy enough to use that even my teenagers can lock their bikes up.

lumu_tit 08 Oct 2020
In reply to jayme:

I have the same; if ground underneath isn't the best, a paving slab on sand for example, you might want to consider digging a hole and filling with concrete.    

Dax H 08 Oct 2020

https://securityforbikes.com/index.php

These guys are renowned in every test I have e er seen as being the market leaders. 

Graeme G 08 Oct 2020

Apologies if this has already been said.

I dug a hole in the garden under my shed. Buried the ends of a length of chain in concrete, accessed via a hole in the bottom of the shed. Bought the thickest cable I could find and secured all this together with a massive padlock. Added a motion sensor light in the garden.

All to no avail. Unknown to us they had broken into the shed Friday night, realised the level of security, and returned Saturday night with bolt cutters.

Best security you can have is good insurance. 

Post edited at 11:54
In reply to Graeme G:

It's now covered under house insurance for at home and away for cheaper than any stand alone insurance I could find.

Also installed an Oxford14 ground anchor and hefty Oxford chain.

Graeme G 10 Oct 2020

> It's now covered under house insurance for at home and away for cheaper than any stand alone insurance I could find.

Thats what I found was best. Managed to get a cracking brand new bike when mine was pinched. The missus still misses hers though, they stopped making it so she had to settle for a different model.

> Also installed an Oxford14 ground anchor and hefty Oxford chain

Best of luck. I’m fairly sure they clocked we had a Marin and a Trek. Followed us and targeted us. If they want it they’ll get it. But you can definitely make it as hard as possible for them. Maybe take some photos? That way if it does get pinched you can prove to insurer you took every reasonable step to protect it. 

In reply to Graeme G:

Re: photo

Will do, every year I tend to get all the climbing and outdoorsy stuff out and photographed for insurance purposes. I will take a pictire of bike security setup once ive got the cable to go from the  anchor  through the cheaper bikes too

nufkin 12 Oct 2020

Some entertaining and discouraging videos on this channel, demonstrating the point made several times above that locks aren't necessarily much of a deterrent for someone who knows what they're doing:

youtube.com/watch?v=ixPFDFp8Cfo&

In reply to nufkin:

I've seen his videos quite a bit. To be honest if someone has taken the time to learn The Lockpicking Lawyer level lockpicking skills.... they have almost earnt the right to the bike.

As far as his destructive testing goes it always just reminds me to make sure the actual padlock is hanging in the air and not against the floor.

You are right though all this is just to make life difficult and hope that it is easier to go elsewhere or slows them down enough that they are disturbed.

Post edited at 12:35

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...