UKC

Biking the Walking Haute Route

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 DaveHK 23 Apr 2013
Anyone done this?

Or failing that, anyone walked it and cast a mountain bikers eye on it?

I know it's been done but struggling to find much info.

I tried on STW and got a few folks that knew it had been done but noone with personal experience.

Ta.
 TimB 24 Apr 2013
In reply to DaveHK:

I guess you've seen this already?

youtube.com/watch?v=AsT0FZ7VoA8&
OP DaveHK 24 Apr 2013
In reply to TimB:

I hadn't seen that. Looks pretty good.
 Boab 25 Apr 2013
In reply to DaveHK:

Aye that does look reet braw.

If you hadn't seen that then maybe you missed the link to a map showing the route taken by Vaude riders on Pink bike.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/6944925/Haute%20Route/gps/hauteroute-ge...

Long time nay see.

Bob
OP DaveHK 26 Apr 2013
In reply to Boab:

Is it yerself Bob?

Thinking about doing it with Sanny in the summer having done the TMB a few years ago.
 BCT 26 Apr 2013
In reply to DaveHK: I did this 2 summers ago. It is a magnificent walk, full of a variety. I can imagine biking it however there are some really rocky steep ascents that I know I would personally have to carry the bike for which I imagine is exhausting. I did it in July and there was still a lot of snow in places and in some parts it seemed maybe too deep for a bike but i'm not an avid biker so not too sure on that.
There are quite a few scree traverses. Also one section where you traverse a mountain on a very small path that would be very dodgy to bike on unless you has super balance. I was basically creeping around it worried to even walk briskly! but I used to be a bit of a wuss back then. I think going on a bike would be excellent fun just do lots of research...that video i good.

Good luck!
B
OP DaveHK 26 Apr 2013
In reply to Beth-Cath-T:
> (In reply to Dave Kerr)I would personally have to carry the bike for which I imagine is exhausting. >

Happy to carry the bike for a significant amount of time to access a good descent.

Think I'm going to go for it.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...