UKC

Booking a Bike on EMR

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
J1234 14 May 2021

Hi,

looking to do a tour around Norfolk https://cycle.travel/map/journey/151823 and it seems as though we could get the train from Stockport to Ely for about £150 return for two, so thats appealing.
EMR says we must book the bikes, which is kind of good and bad, in that we know we will have a space for the bikes but removes a bit of flexibility of which train , but there you go.

The bit I am struggling with though, is how to tie train and bike booking together, can you do it online or can you do it over the phone, all in one go. I do not want to book train ticket, then find there is no Bike space.

I have tried phoning EMR, but lines busy, and UKC people often know about these matters.

EDIT: Looks like the train can take us to Thetford, which is even better, though I have never been to Ely.

Post edited at 09:17
 Neil Williams 14 May 2021
In reply to J1234:

It appears that the TransPennine Express booking engine at https://www.tpexpress.co.uk will do bike reservations at the time of purchase, so give that a go.  It's annoyingly at the second step so you will need a bit of "trial and error" to find available trains, but it does tell you if there is space or not.

abr1966 14 May 2021
In reply to J1234:

I had exactly the same issue a couple of years ago....aiming to do a tour of Norfolk/Suffolk and getting the train from Stockport. At one point a couple of weeks before I actually went in to Sto kport Station to sort it out and the staff there said it was a real problem!!!

In the end and to save my angst we cut our losses and my mate sorted it....we ended up riding over from Cambridge! I'll be interested to hear how you get on as I'm thinking of going over again this summer if it's less hassle now!!

thepodge 14 May 2021
In reply to J1234:

I'm in a local Facebook riding group with someone who works on the railway and has offered to help people booking bikes on trains, if you send me your email I'll try and put you both in touch. 

J1234 14 May 2021
In reply to Neil Williams:

Thank you, that does seem to work and is cheaper. I have only got to stage 3 as the tickets we want for return are slightly later in August.

I think we will buy return tickets to Thetford, but get off at Ely on the way, but return from Thetford, as I have always wanted to see Ely.

The prices I have found involve  the Tickets for Two Railcard.

Thank you, and all the others for the help, UKC comes through again .

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...