UKC

Buying a ladies hybrid bike - advice?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Tricadam 06 Apr 2018

My girlfriend and I would like to get a bike for her. In terms of use, mostly cycling out of town on terrain ranging from country roads to landrover tracks in the Highlands, plus a bit of commuting in the city (Glasgow, so potholes will be encountered!) Something decent and fairly light but not too expensive, so we're thinking probably second hand. She's about 5'7", slim build. What thoughts do you folks have? Help much appreciated! 

girlymonkey 07 Apr 2018
In reply to Tricadam:

Hybrids are not something I know a lot about, but in buying any kit I always say don't limit your choice to female specific. Often women's bikes are lower spec'd than mens for the same price. Don't rule them out either though, go with comfiest fit. I have a women's road bike but a men's mountain bike. Ride several different ones before you buy anything 

Siward 07 Apr 2018
In reply to girlymonkey:

Probably the wrong time of year, but come end of season sell off time there are sometimes incredible bargains on female specific bikes that you don't see in the men's/unisex ranges.

As to the op, maybe look into gravel bikes, something that will accommodate relatively chunky tyres whilst still being ok on road.

beardy mike 07 Apr 2018
In reply to Tricadam:

What counts as cheap? Also hybrid usually is a secret code for a bit shit. They attempt to give you all the things a novice thinks they need and what you get is something heavy, sluggish, slow handling, poorly speced, often with front suspension that barely does anything... You get the picture. 

What you want is either an old mtb that you can refurbish (for example a 1990s marin like a pine mountain, eldridge grade or bear valley) but that requires either know how to diy and get the right fit. Or a modern gravel bike which requires more dough. New you could be looking at 800 to 1000 quid, second hand around 400 - 500...

TobyA 07 Apr 2018
In reply to beardy mike:

There are plenty of bikes that are designed for certain niches and work well within them. I think hybrid is vague now, but plenty of decent bikes under that title. Some people are scared of drop bars so gravel/CX look rubbish to them.

Tricadam - have a look at Evans's own range Pinnacle. They make lots of women's models - my wife has one which is a hybrid and is happy with it although she's not using it currently due to life stuff! I'd avoid suspension if you don't want a full on mountain bike. Decathlon is the other obvious place to look for new.

In reply to Tricadam:

After years of crap bikes, I very much feel that it's best to spend as much as you can bear to. That said, it doesn't need to be a small fortune.

As you're in Glasgow I'd go to Common Wheel, off Maryhill Road near the Firhill Stadium. They're one of the charities that will set up a bike using second hand frames and parts to a spec that'll suit you. That way, you get a bike that'll do what you need it to, you can have a conversation about cost, and you end up with something a bit more characterful - it's important to have a bike you can fall in love with a bit - and, due to age, a little less stealable.

I'd say something on an old touring frame could be better than a hybrid, as such. Similarly light, comfort-oriented, will take potholes etc in it's stride and would be well suited to the extra-urban usage you envisage.

Good luck!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...