UKC

Comfortable bike packing saddle

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 damowilk 27 Aug 2017
Hi.
I'm starting to get into bike packing, hoping to gradually extend the length of trips, and the next item on the agenda is a comfortable all-day riding saddle.
Any recommendations?
If it matters, I'm fairly thin and bony-bottomed.
My LBS has suggested a Brooks and given me a trial one, which didn't impress on first look, but seems pretty good on 2-hour rides so far.
Thanks.
Rigid Raider 27 Aug 2017
In reply to damowilk:

A brooks saddle is simply a thick piece of hide suspended between the nose and the tail of the framework; like a leather walking boot it will stretch to fit the shape of your bottom. You'll notice that it has a stretcher bolt under the nose for taking out the slack. It is heavy and doesn't like wet conditions. Some people swear by them. I one tried a Brooks Swift, found it uncomfortable, crude and heavy so I sold it on.

Modern saddles are made from synthetic materials, so much lighter and they don't mind getting wet. They will hardly comply with your shape at all n the long term. A very popular saddle that most riders seem to like is a Charge Spoon and the slightly sportier version the Charge Knife, which I use and find comfortable for 100 mile rides. There's also the Charge Ladle, which is shorter and broader for women. Charge also have a brand called Fabric, which are also highly regarded. In the end it's a matter of what fits your shape best.

OP damowilk 27 Aug 2017
In reply to Rigid Raider:

Thanks for that. Useful as I hadn't really considered weight and weather resistance; plus the charge is a sixth of the price here in NZ!
 TobyA 27 Aug 2017
In reply to damowilk:

I've always just used whatever came with the bike and not had any issues if I was riding regularly. But this spring-summer I've for the first time ever got saddle sores on longer rides - this was first on my newish mountain bike and I figured that saddle just didn't work so well, the saddle on my CX seemed fine until yesterday when I rode 185 Kms and now am a bit sore again - although different sore spots and not as bad as from the MTB saddle considering I was out for just shy of 12 hours and Strava says my movement time was 10.5 hrs.

I don't reckon a bikepacking saddle is any different from any other saddle, it just needs to be comfy for you. Just try using whatever came with the bike and see how it goes. When I used to commute by bike 3 or 4 times a week, I think my bum was just used to cycling and whatever shorts and saddle I used just didn't seem to matter. Now I'm cycling less regularly, my butt must be out of practice!
 Brass Nipples 27 Aug 2017
In reply to damowilk:

Maybe look at some MTB saddles since you'll be going off road on your bike packing adventures rather than just touring where a road saddle would be fine.

gethin_allen 27 Aug 2017
In reply to damowilk:

I'd second what Toby said about a touring saddle not being anything different to a normal saddle, unless your "normal" saddle is something very not normal like a TT or BMX.
Saddles are fairly personal but the fiziks antares is a nice medium performance/comfort saddle.
Good (not necessarily expensive) shorts are pretty important and chamois cream helps as does keeping your shorts clean and not running silly skinny rock hard tyres.
Hope that helps.
 nniff 28 Aug 2017
In reply to damowilk:

Not really said if you're on road or off.

For road, Fabric saddles are very good and the Line models are very good if you're going to be seated twiddling the pedals for hours up long hills. However, Brooks are undeniably good for all day in the saddle as they will mould to the shape of your backside
 cragrat 28 Aug 2017
In reply to damowilk:

Every posterior is different and what suits some people will be torture for others. As has been said, some people prefer a leather saddle like a Brooks or Spa, but these need an extended breaking-in period, are heavy, and need extra care. You need to consider your style of cycling ie upright or crouched, and how wide your bum is. If you're lucky, your local bike shop may allow you to test saddles on your own bike to find the perfect fit. Well padded shorts and a chamois cream can help a lot!
 Brass Nipples 28 Aug 2017
In reply to damowilk:

To those taking about heavy leather saddles. The differences is only about 200 grams from a "modern" plastic saddle. It's inconsequential compared to the combined weight of the rider and setup when heading out to sleep under the stars for one or more nights. So the weight of the saddle should be the least of his worries.
cb294 28 Aug 2017
In reply to damowilk:
I would avoid anything extreme. For long rides I therefore swear by my ancient, not too narrow or wide, neither too hard nor soft Selle Rolls both on my MTB and road racer. Simply a perfect saddle, and I will stock up on them should they stop production at some point. My day to day bike has a Brooks cambium. No need to break it in, but I ended up smoothing the edges (where the threads of the canvas protrude from the latex) with my belt sander.

Most likely these saddles will not fit you in the same way (I am rather large and muscular bottomed, to be polite), but the point about not going for for a model that optimizes one aspect of ergonomy at the cost of others remains.

CB
Post edited at 15:28
OP damowilk 30 Aug 2017
In reply to damowilk:

Thanks for all replies.
It is for MTBing, currently shorter rides, some reasonably technical, but have some longer multi day rides planned.
I've discounted the Brooks for now, I want to be able to leave the bike out overnight and not worry about the saddle soaking up water. I'm even considering trying some approach rides up river valleys for mountaineering and ski touring( I live in NZ and there are some big approaches that might be made easier by bike.)
The Charge Spoon is cheaply available here, enough that I don't mind getting it to try.
Rigid Raider 30 Aug 2017
In reply to damowilk:

Good choice. You are unlikely to regret it.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...