UKC

commuting bag/lights/advice please

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Matt Rees 22 Apr 2017
Good people of the UKC hive mind. What bags can you recommend for cycle commuting? Will be carrying the usual work gubbins i.e. Laptop, smarter clothes etc. Also lights, any suggestions? Or do people use panniers and is it worth or possible fitting them to my older road bike (Trek2100). Not dug it out the shed to see what lugs it has. Are any needed for a rack? Thanks all.
 Dave B 22 Apr 2017
In reply to Matt Rees:

I like my ortleib bag, but panniers would be less sweaty.
 elsewhere 22 Apr 2017
In reply to Matt Rees:
Panniers - you pay for the attachment "system" which is the important bit if you're taking them on and off every day for commuting/shopping.

Go for something that is adjustable and clip on and off, often with rixen kaul (brand) fixings

Altura are good.

Lights - aldi aluminium cob (sept? ) are brilliant but keep the receipt in case they stop working

USB rechargable rather than rechargeable aaa/aa for convenience.
Post edited at 13:47
OP Matt Rees 22 Apr 2017
In reply to elsewhere:

Thanks both. Another question. Can a "normal" pannier rack be easily switched over to carry a child seat, or even both at once? I should probably go to a bike shop but I know there will be people on here who are in the know and won't want to sell me whatever they have in stock at that moment...
 timstyles 22 Apr 2017
In reply to Matt Rees:

Child seats usually mount on the seat tube, while a pannier attaches to the frame around the rear axle. You may be able to fit both at the same time, but you need to check. You can also get pannier rack child seats: https://www.decathlon.co.uk/groovy-pannier-rack-baby-seat-id_8385621.html

When I had a child seat on the back I used a rucksack to carry stuff. If the seat wasn't occupied I could strap the rucksack in the seat. There is a noticeable drag from the seat when going fast, so it's best to remove the seat if it's not being used.

When it comes to lights I would recommend fitting two sets - a cheap set that you leave on most of the time and a second set that you fit when you expect to be cycling in the dark. That way you're less likely to find yourself without lights and if the battery runs out in one light you still have a spare. You can also set one to flash and the other on constant.
 Si_G 22 Apr 2017
In reply to Matt Rees:

The art is to stash the smart clothes at work whenever possible, avoiding risk of getting them wet/dirty/creased.
I don't know how far your commute is. Mine was a 30mile soft road round trip, and a LOT more fun without baggage.
 stewieatb 22 Apr 2017
In reply to Matt Rees:

Bag: Alpkit Gourdon, in a size that suits: https://www.alpkit.com/products/gourdon-25 They used to do a hi-vis yellow option, I'm rather miffed it seems to have been discontinued as I was just getting around to "new work bag" time.

Get a locker at work if you can, keep shoes, deodorant, trousers, towel there for the week, take a shirt and clean keks every day.

Get the bike serviced when it comes out of the shed.

Lights: Not all that critical at this time of year, clearly more so in winter when both journeys will be in the dark. I use a combination of Lezyne and Exposure lights, and they've never let me down, although the battery in one Lezyne front light is getting a bit short lived after 3-4 years. Personally I recommend one solid light and one flashing light rear, and all front lights solid. Always go USB rechargeable. Locate lights on the bike and on your person to accentuate shape and movement - for example, solid rear light on the seatpost, flashing light on the rucksack.
 boriselbrus 22 Apr 2017
In reply to Matt Rees:

Use a seatpost mounted rack such as this:

http://www.tredz.co.uk/.Tortec-Explorer-Seatpost-Mounted-Rack_47588.htm?sku...

The advantage is it fits in seconds so is easily removed for child seat or normal riding purposes.

Then I got a cheap pair of pannier bags which I put dry bags inside. Much cheaper and more versatile - I just leave the bags in place and take the dry bags in to work/home with me. I think the pair of bags were about £15 on ebay and the dry bags about a fiver. You won't get waterproof pannier bags for much less than £60.

cousin nick 24 Apr 2017
In reply to Matt Rees:

I do 7 miles each way on a Brompton after the first leg of my commute is done by car share.
I use an Alpkit Gourdon backpack and Lezyne USB rechargeable lights.
I find the backpack is fine, but 7 miles doesn't really give time to work up a sweat. USB lights are ideal for recharging off my work computer.

N
 LastBoyScout 24 Apr 2017
In reply to Matt Rees:

I carry laptop, phone, wallet, puncture kit and other bits and bobs in a small rucksack. Berghaus Remote 25, as it happens (although in market for a new one), as it has nice cooling channels on the back. Everything inside in plastic bags if any chance of rain. Laptop in a padded sleeve to protect it. £5 Aldi hi-viz rucksack cover over it.

I prefer a rucksack to panniers, as it's narrower through traffic and the bike is more manouverable - 11-miles each way, so not too bad on the arms. I don't carry enough to fill 1 pannier and wouldn't want the weight lopsided. Laptop size means putting it on top of a rack isn't ideal - too vulnerable if I come off.

You can fit a pannier rack to a bike without lugs, using a normal rack with P-clips round the stays or I've used this one on my Trek: http://www.blackburndesign.com/en_eu/racks/rear-racks/ex-1-disc-rack.html - you'll also need one of these (or similar) to fit your bike: http://www.tredz.co.uk/.System-EX-Seatpost-Clamp-with-Rack-Mount_62152.htm

I keep spare shoes and trousers at work and take shirts in on the days I have to drive in. Lucky enough to have showers at work, so keep towel and toilettries there. Bring everything home now and then for a wash and polish.

I also keep a bike lock at work, so less weight to carry.

Use whatever you like as rear lights, just use a road-specific front light with proper beam pattern, rather than a dedicated off-road floodlamp.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...