UKC

commuting to work

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
iusedtoclimb 18 Jul 2018

So a new job means I could commute by bike. long time since I did road cycling and relatively nervous that I will be knocked off.

So any tips - the roads I would use are single carriageway and one section there are always delays for cars due to cyclists!!

How long would a relatively fit 48 year old expect to do 10 miles in - relatively hilly?

Rigid Raider 18 Jul 2018
In reply to iusedtoclimb:

Traffic levels have increased since you last cycled and drivers have become less considerate. Buy some very powerful rechargable LED lights for the bike and have them on flashing mode all the time. Be especially wary when riding into the sun especially if you are in the shade of a hedge; many drivers never clean the plasticiser film off the insides of their windscreens so low sun illuminates that making dark outside objects almost invisible. Flouro clothing may help to make you more visible. 

Don't ride in the gutter where you will pick up punctures and drivers will be tempted to try to squeeze past you; consider yourself a road user and behave accordingly and with assertion.

Ten miles with hills ought to take you about 45 - 55 minutes. On a completely flat road with no wind that might reduce to 30 if you are fit and you have a fast bike.

Ride dominantly, take the centre of the lane. This not only makes you very visible it also gives  you bail out room should you get cut up.

Do yourself and your bike up like a Xmas tree, lights, hi viz, fireworks etc. Priviz make some excellent reflective gear. Have flashers on your body as well as your bike, if it comes to the worst, it is more important that you are seen than your bike.

I would estimate 45 mins riding time, call it an hour with shower and change time.

Enjoy it, it is free exercise. 

tlouth7 18 Jul 2018

I, a relatively fit 24 year old, do my fairly hilly 10 mile commute in ~40 minutes. Would be a good 5 minutes quicker but the last 3 miles are through town.

In places where I feel it would be unsafe for a car to overtake I move out into the middle of the lane, otherwise try to stick just out of the gutter (~ 1m from the kerb).

Not relevant at the moment but in winter you need a front light that not only makes you visible but actually illuminates the road ahead. Crappy front lights make for exciting descents on country roads.

10 miles is plenty far enough to work up a sweat, so a towel and change of clothes at work may be advisable.

LastBoyScout 18 Jul 2018

I agree with what everyone said about road positioning and wearing at least brightly coloured clothing.

I'm not necessarily in agreement with having lights in the summer, but depends on you and your route - debate for another thread!

Remember that a bike is almost silent and watch out for pedestrians stepping in front of you because they haven't heard you. Watch out for kids and buggies being pushed into the road near schools.

I do a relatively flat ~11 miles in ~45 mins depending on traffic and junctions. I don't have breakfast before I leave - just take a bottle of water and brekkie when I get to work. 10 miles is fine fasted - if it's hard at first, you'll get used to it.

I keep spare bike lock, trousers, shoes, shower stuff at work, take shirts/undies in on the days when I have to take the car and just carry laptop, lunch, puncture bits and spare cycle clothing (wind/waterproof) with me on the bike.

gethin_allen 18 Jul 2018

I'd try it out a few days a week in good weather and gradually build up to it. 

I both agree and disagree with the comments above. I dress up in all manner of bright clothes and flashing lights but I still get idiots cutting me up and in a case recently knocking me off the bike and putting me in a+e. The reason being that you if a driver isn't looking for you, they won't see you.

Otherwise, i'd say buy good mudguards for winter.

elsewhere 18 Jul 2018

Marathon plus tyres - heavy but get you to work on time by avoiding punctures

TobyA 18 Jul 2018

My commute is 16.4 kms -  you're on a bike, so you have to talk in kms - which is 10.1 miles. I have much more downhill on the way, and plenty of uphill (250 mtrs or ascent) coming home. It takes me a bit under 40 minutes going in, and 50 minutes or a bit more coming home. I haven't done that much for the last couple of years but moving at Easter made biking a better option. On Monday I went past 1000 kms commuted since Easter, which was a nice milestone to pass. I've been riding in pretty much 3 times a week. If you don't have to do it every day its probably a more pleasurable thing.

Have a poke around on websites like https://www.cyclestreets.net/ you may find that there non-road options for at least part of your ride. On my normal route I ride a canal tow path for about a third of it and then you only have to worry about dogs - not cars! Also using residential or other backroads can make it quieter.

thepodge 18 Jul 2018

Top visibility tip... Look on eBay for large flashing dog collars, clip two together and wear them as a sash. Cheaper and more visible than standard bike lights owing to them being at driver eye level. It's very easy to recognise and not fully appreciate bike lights, by making yourself different people take notice. 

Wimlands 18 Jul 2018
In reply to TobyA:

I found my best cycle route to work by simply following other cyclists who seemed to be going my way....

strava Heat maps can work for this too....

Post edited at 19:20
 goldmember 18 Jul 2018

Get the best possible puncture proof tyres you can afford.  Mud guards. Hiviz stuff. I like spoke reflectors. 

But most of all make sure the workplace has showers

Dax H 18 Jul 2018
In reply to gethin_allen:

> I both agree and disagree with the comments above. I dress up in all manner of bright clothes and flashing lights but I still get idiots cutting me up and in a case recently knocking me off the bike and putting me in a+e. The reason being that you if a driver isn't looking for you, they won't see you.

A few weeks ago I stopped to help a police motorcyclist after a car took him out. Full liveried bike and full high viz gear. There are a lot of blind drivers out there. 

Jamming Dodger 18 Jul 2018
In reply to goldmember:

Seconded for the spoke reflectors. Feel much more side on visible and they’re so cheap. 

No showers at my new place or the last one... baby wipes are my friend. Nobody else is. I stink! 

Post edited at 20:53
 Andy Hardy 18 Jul 2018

Not done it for a while but last year I was contracting in Altrincham, and commuting from Stockport was taking >60 minutes by car (on the way home)

Started biking which took the same time and was much better for my waist than driving. 

The only tip I can give you is don't think you have to pull up trees every time you get on the bike. Pootling along is fine if you don't have showers at work! Save the beasting for the home leg

nufkin 18 Jul 2018

Once the days get shorter, having some reflective patches on your heels (as well as lights, obviously) can be quite eye-catching for drivers, more so than on your top half where they won't really move.

It's also worth mentioning that mostly drivers are fine. Of course it's the ones who aren't that are the problem, but you needn't worry that everyone is going to be trying to kill you. And if you're doing a regular commute you'll quickly learn the places to pay extra attention

ThunderCat 18 Jul 2018

I cycle in from Mossley (NE Manchester)  to Salford and its about 14.5 miles according to Strava . Downhill going in so about 1 hour ten, then about 1 hour 20 coming home.  Advice?

Assume every car driver is blind, and that your hi viz jacket,  flashing led headlights and clear signalling actually has the same effect as a Klingon cloaking device

Assume that every pedestrian has not seen you and that the majority will use their sense of hearing rather than sight to evaluate whether it is safe for them to step out into the road . You have no engine   therefore you are not there. 

Assume that cars will overtake you, and then take a sudden left turn in front of you (usually without indicating),  forgetting that they over took you a second earlier

Don't be a prick. Obey the laws of the road. Even if it's clear,  and ten other cyclists are shooting past you through that red light, you have to stop. We're already the most hated group of road users, shooting red lights just makes us even more hated.  Don't do it 

Accept that being a cyclist will probably make you a better driver, because you'll know what it's like to be that poor sod dodging pot holes and drain covers. 

Look forward to that great feeling of zooming down a cycle lane past a two mile queue of stationary traffic .

Know that when you do eventually come a cropper and fall off your bike, it will be in front of the maximum number of spectators.  Usually a tram full of people 

You will go months without a puncture. And then get two a day for a week

Gradually realise that your paranoia about all of the bad bits above are just that,  and that most drivers are fairly on the ball and alert. Except for the one prick that isn't. 

I think that's it for now. ..

Post edited at 22:15
 subtle 18 Jul 2018

Buy a cheap bike, it will get wrecked commuting every day - if hilly the get one front ring to sort out gearing (otherwise single speed), get puncture proof tyres, leave trousers and shoes at work and carry shirt in (if that’s what you wear for work) and just enjoy it - some days you will feel good, some will be rainy, some will be dark - some will be traumatic - but overall all should be good - I’ve been doing it for 10+ years and only 2 accidents, a few near misses but still going strong - enjoy it, good luck

steve taylor 19 Jul 2018

Good advice from everyone above.

I used to do a similar commute at a similar age in the UK. However, I drove in at least one day a week to deliver a clean set of clothes for the next week (my employer provided showers and lockers). 

I have never been so fit as I was then. You get to eat whatever you want and still lose weight!

hang_about 19 Jul 2018

Have a really good look at the route. It might be possible to avoid bottlenecks. That might also influence your choice of bike. A cyclocross is a good compromise for some not-too-bumpy off road.

My route is shorter but very hilly. I really wish I'd invested a bit more and got disc brakes. Good mudguards are essential.

As everyone says - lights and bright clothing - but still assume you're invisible.

jonnie3430 19 Jul 2018

The hardest part is starting, so make it as easy as possible for you, make sure it's a good day, you have at least an extra half hour, are fully hydrated before you set off, limit the stuff you carry by leaving kit in the office and treat it as a learning experience, take it easy. The you after 20 commutes will have bucket loads of advice about that specific commute. 

Second the Strava heat map tip, safest option for some roads is not to use them.

A tip not mentioned is to get a good track pump and make sure tyres are well pumped up to reduce risk of punctures and reduce the amount of effort you put in.

And look up silly commuter racing on Google and get your food chain number so you know who you need to pass and who you can let go... (And Strava) it all helps the motivation.

Jamming Dodger 19 Jul 2018
In reply to jonnie3430:

And a couple of recce/practise runs just to iron out any problems you won’t want on your first day. 

jungle 19 Jul 2018

Agree with all of above, especially positioning and wearing as much 'look at me' stuff as possible.

I use a helmet cam and whilst it doesn't protect me from being flattened to a pulp it has 100% worked as a deterrent towards bus drivers bashing their horns at me because I wont give them room to overtake me on a narrow road, cutting me up, driving at me when they should give way etc. I suspect some of them have been stung by being recorded and shown back to their bosses. An incident with a bus driver is what forced me to get one, where as he was overtaking me he turned into me on purpose because I wouldn't let him overtake. 

Also, it's amazing some of the things you get to record and watch back!

Post edited at 10:05
 nniff 19 Jul 2018

A range of things for you:

Get a rack and a pannier.  Rucksacks are sweaty things.

Neoprene overshoes for the winter, with HotHands handwarmers inside on top of your shoes/toes if it's really Baltic.

Decent waterproof jacket, plus a cheap spare in the office for when the weather forecast lies.

Leave shoes and suits in the office.  Rotate suits etc through the dry cleaner.  You need 4 items a day (shirt, tie, underwear, socks).  If you don't have 4 items, something's missing: far easier than thinking if you've got everything.  Pack everything into a rubble sack - it keeps it all in a neat block and they are waterproof, unlike rucksacks.

Good lights, two of each front and back in case a battery goes flat.  If you don't look like a Christmas tree, you're doing it wrong - day or night.  More and more cars have daytime running lights.  In amongst them, you are invisible if you don't have a bright light on the front.  Away from the cars and in bright sunlight, you are also invisible if you are in shade and the car/driver is in bright sunlight.  Remember that commuters are mostly just trundling along on auto-pilot.

Decathlon wotsit 900 gloves - really warm.  Decathlon microfibre towel - dries quickly.

Ultra-light gilet - best bit of clothing ever for commuting.  Warm, and easy to remove at the lights (if you're not wearing a rucksack).

Come to terms with getting wet from time to time - wet mornings are worse.

Persuade your employer to get heated lockers to dry stuff.

Find some reflective wrist bands - some have flashing LEDS - good for peripheral vision for those who half pass and then forget that you are there, and for turn signals.

Runners reflective tabard

Chap stick

I also carry a Petzl e-lite micro headtorch, for fixing punctures in the dark.

Keep on top of maintenance - a broken bike at 7pm is a real pain - messes up your evening and your commute until you can get parts or get it into a shop.

I'm of the school of thought that says get a decent bike that can take the hammer, as opposed to a cheap one that's disposable.  At 20 miles each way (or 13 if I cheat and drive some of it) and a big hill at the end of the day, I need all the help I can get.

Your average speed will really be determined by the amount of traffic lights and other stuff that slows your progress.  I usually commute at about 14mph average but on a normal ride I'd average 18.

Be assertive.  Do not ride in the gutter - if you ride in the gutter drivers will treat you as though that's where you belong.  If you give a car space, it will take it and then forget about you.  Ride out from the kerb, to make cars manoeuvre to pass you.  This also gives you some space if they try and force their way past.  If you let cars squeeze past you without manoeuvring, the first might see you, and the second, but the third might not and all it needs to be is 6 inches further to the left and you're stuffed.

Don't lurk at the side at traffic lights  - take some space and use it to get going, whether you are at the front or not. 

Don't filter up the inside to the very front at roundabouts - they're all looking right and if you're squeezing up the left, they won't see you.

Do not assume that drivers know what they are doing - I was knocked off by a driver who left hooked me (and mounted the kerb) while they were doing the school run.  She didn't have a driving licence.  Despite being run over by a car, the front wheel of my bike was just about straight enough to ride for another 12 miles - 'good bike' argument.  She picked up the bill.

wilkie14c 19 Jul 2018

All great advice.

Spare inner tube, mini pump or CO2 and trye levers, if you get a flat just change the tube and fix the puncture at home. QR wheels make this even easier as you won’t need spanners.

Mudguards! Godsend in the rainy season.

Post edited at 10:52
 Bobling 19 Jul 2018
In reply to nniff:

> Don't filter up the inside to the very front at roundabouts - they're all looking right and if you're squeezing up the left, they won't see you.

Would you suggest filter up the outside instead?  Or queue as if you were a car.

Great thread and wisdom everyone for another commuting newb.

nniff 19 Jul 2018
In reply to Bobling:

IMHO - on roundabouts:

If you are turning left or going straight on: you can filter up the left at a roundabout, but not all the way to the front.  The front driver will be looking to their right and is unlikely to see you to his left, and is likely to move off briskly and slightly to the left - which is bad for you.  The car behind them will be looking both at the car in front and to the right and is more likely to see you. The car behind them is going to be looking mostly in front.  The size of the gaps between the cars is significant.  The best place to be is in the middle of a lane.  Try and establish eye contact and make your presence and intentions known.

If you are turning right, being on the left is bad, as cars will cut across your front, or just behind you, or just go straight through you.  As a minimum be in the centre of a single lane.  Be in the centre of a right turn lane and stay in the middle all the way round. Look behind you, get eye contact and indicate with authority and move across.  Get eye contact with those coming onto the roundabout as well as those behind you.  Do not let people pass unless they are in a different lane - make all of the space yours.  Whatever you do, do not creep slowly around the outside.

Really important note - a big articulated lorry can see you if you are level with the left front wheel  - there is a mirror to look down at the kerb area.  If you are behind that point and the lorry is cranked to turn (as may be on the approach to a roundabout), you are invisible because the left rear-view mirror will just show the side of the lorry.  A big lorry also has mirrors to look down in front.  BUT - the driver will do a mirror check in order before moving off, starting with the left, moving along the front and finally the right - if you move up after he's checked that left kerb mirror, and then pull in front, he will not know that you are there and you are toast. 

Furthermore, if you are in a lane adjacent to the one the lorry is in, and keeping a 'safe distance' from it, you are outside the field of view of the kerb mirror and he will not know you are there. If you then move off together, he still can't see you, which is going to lead to tears when he turns off - probably at the 'straight on exit' where it converges to a single lane.

If you move to the front of a queue anywhere, and there is a lorry at the front (or one follows you up to a t-junction), turn round and look at the driver and make sure that you can see him.  If you can't, do something creative and get out of the way quickly.  A driver will appreciate a cyclist who is aware and checks that sort of thing - running over a cyclist spoils their day no end.

TobyA 19 Jul 2018
In reply to Bobling:

I filter up the outside on my commute at one point where I'm turning right into the side road that my school is on. This generally works well but just be careful because drivers aren't generally looking in their mirror for people coming up the outside on bikes. As long as they keep going straight on, its normally fine but if their is a car parked on the side they sometime move out to go round that so you have to be aware of when that might happen. I often stand on my peddles when filtering as you are taller and more likely to be noticed in mirrors.

Post edited at 13:07
iusedtoclimb 19 Jul 2018

wow thanks everybody for all the responses

LastBoyScout 19 Jul 2018
In reply to Wimlands:

> I found my best cycle route to work by simply following other cyclists who seemed to be going my way....

> strava Heat maps can work for this too....

Google Maps has a cyclist option for plotting a route, too.

Wimlands 21 Jul 2018
In reply to LastBoyScout:

Thanks for the tip, it picked a route I haven't used yet....mind you going round the tushmore giratory in the rush hour might wake me up a bit

elsewhere 21 Jul 2018
In reply to LastBoyScout:

> Google Maps has a cyclist option for plotting a route, too.

Try google maps pedestrian routes too - some official shared pedestrian/cycle routes don't show up as cycle routes 

nniff 21 Jul 2018
In reply to elsewhere:

One should also be aware that some of Google's cycling routes are profoundly unsuitable for anyone on a road bike.  They need a check with streetview or satellite view to assess their suitability.

Simon_Semtex 21 Jul 2018

Good onya mate!.... I communte exactly that same distance (16.4kms that is!)

My route is from Exeter to Crediton.  Anyone who knows that route (along the A377) will atest to the car traffic being a nightmare.

I'm a climber, mtber, roadie, van-driver, car-driver and motorbike rider and for the life of me can't understand why anyone would want to cycle along that road every day, yet there are people who do.

As a result, I got an OS map out and found the back roads to my destination.  Much more fun!  Yes it adds 5mins (yes! a whole five minutes!) onto my communte but at least I dont have HGV's, tractors and Audi drivers up my chuff.  After a bit of research I'm now only on the A377 for 2.5 minutes and then its lovely sleepy Devon lanes all the way.

I'm a confident cyclist and will defend the right of cyclist to ride where they want when they want.  We have every right to be on the road and not be sidelined onto demarcated cycle lanes BUT just because you can cycle somewhere doesn't mean you SHOULD cycle there.  The amount of bad feeling generated by 1 particular cyclist causing a huge tail-back on the A377 has lead to accidents and fights.

My advice?  Find the back lanes!  Much more relaxing, much more enjoyable and much more safe.

Ohh... and 33ish Kms per day?  Bloody good training and the weight (if you have any) will fall off you! + you can eat as many cakes as you want!

and how long will it take?  My route to work is all up hill with a Cat1 climb at the end. (Takes 42 minutes all panniered up.)  Going home is all down hill and takes 36mins.)  (ohh.. and I'm 45.) When I started communting it took me 55 mins to get to work but after 6 weeks you will see your times come down like I did - unless you do a 180KM Sportive on the Sunday and then try to ride into work the next day ----- that was hard work!  Took me 1 hr 6 minutes that day.

Happy riding!

Post edited at 17:25
Jamming Dodger 22 Jul 2018
In reply to Simon_Semtex:

I can totally understand why you’d want to avoid some main roads, but having ridden on a few cycle routes on my work bike which has 32mm 700 tyres on them it was a miserable experience. But maybe thats just Manchester for you! 

Having said that I’m well used to riding main roads and positioning myself well. 

I'm totally gonna get splatted tomorrow now having just said that! Touchwood...

Edit: not sure if this is the “right” thing to do but I always try to show my appreciation for considerate drivers who give space and think twice before left hooking you (overtake and then stop as they realise what they’re doing). I know it’s my right of way, but a bit of appreciation makes me feel better and hopefully goes some way to making at least one person realising that not all cyclists are nobs. Although I nearly came a cropper a couple of weeks back when one car did just that, and a driver coming out of the side road assumed the car who stopped was letting him out, so I had to slam the anchors on! So another shout out for disk brakes.

Half a success I suppose! 

Post edited at 11:33
 JamButty 22 Jul 2018

My rule in life is to give way to things bigger than you.  You might have the moral/legal high ground but not much use if you're dead.  I'm always dabbing my brakes looking for eye contact with drivers at junctions.

Equally though as others have said,  don't hide in the gutter,  keep a good few metres clear which forces drivers to take a wide berth and gives you room to escape if needed.

Lots of bright stuff and lights I use my red rear flashy one all year,  

Oh and don't wear all black!!

lizard-16-07 22 Jul 2018

Lots of good advice on here re where to ride in the road, mudguards and lights etc. 

I started commuting 14km each way to work around easter time and the only thing I'd add is to build it up gradually. I went straight in from not much to everyday and because the bike wasn't set up quite right I ended up with a few knee problems. So build up slowly, a couple/few days a week at first to get a proper feel for the bike and if anything feels slightly off, definitely take a look at the set up.

+1 for panniers. You don't notice the extra weight at all really and not having a sweaty back is well worth it!

Dress your bike up as a horse, drivers give horse much more respect. 

Post edited at 10:01
 jpicksley 26 Jul 2018

Some good advice here. It's good to have some things reinforced and learn some new tips.

I particularly agree with the comments that a lot of drivers are actually ok (certainly where I ride). We just tend to remember the bad ones.

I have two suggestions. Sorry if I missed them above. I thank drivers who pass me well. I know that's what they should be doing but I hope that I'm reinforcing their behaviour so they're likely to do it again to another cyclist (which might be me). It also make me feel good.

Take up meditation. Then when a driver winds you up by passing really badly, which will happen repeatedly, you can take a deep breath and are far less likely to react in an aggressive or confrontational way that might end up causing a confrontation. Bike vs motorised vehicle isn't good if you're on the bike. You won't modify poor behaviour by confrontation, so it's not worth it. This also makes me feel good!

I'm an advocate of running front and back flashing lights whatever the weather or light. I don't know what the evidence is (I suspect the jury is out) but I just have an anecdotal believe that it must make you more visible. And it makes me feel safer!

Good luck out there and enjoy it!

subtle 27 Jul 2018

how is the bike commute going - or have you not yet started?

peppermill 29 Jul 2018

I'm writing as a (van) driver, keen cyclist and former cycle commuter of 25 miles per day

Lights, lights and more lights. Have a cheap set attached to your bike at all times just in case you forget or misjudge when dusk is as the nights draw in. 

Once you get some fitness upon a road bike always assume many drivers will completely misjudge how fast you are going- especially cars pulling out in front of you at T-junctions. I've lost count of the number of times I've had to slam the anchors on.

And please, please don't pull up on the inside of of a van or an artic (especially an artic) at traffic lights. Human error and a left turn can easily ruin two lives.

Apologies if I've stated the obvious

Uluru 30 Jul 2018
In reply to Presley Whippet:

Actually that is not such a daft idea. 

I cycle 14 miles each way to work, 2-3 times a week. Reasonably undulating, including the Severn Bridge which can be windy! Takes me 48-52 minutes. I'm 41 and female (if that makes a difference)

I did an experiment in June cycling in 'non-cycling' clothes as well as cycling kit. It may have just been the drivers on the roads on the non-cycling kit days, but I was given a lot more room when they overtook me than when I was in lycra.

I also regularly Tweet thanking those companies with drivers who have given me room etc. and occasionally tweeting other companies whose drivers have been less than courteous. Thankfully I have more good Tweets than bad and the companies thank me and I've had drivers do the same. It's good to share some positive news around drivers and cyclists.

Post edited at 19:11

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...