UKC

Converting to Internal geared hub.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 lee birtwistle 24 Aug 2020

Hi all

Looking for advice

My current touring bike which is a modified 26 inch wheel mountain bike has 27 gears (3 front rings / 9 on sprocket). I am looking at installing a belt drive 11 speed internal hub (Alfine)

Has anyone any experience of doing this conversion and if so what problems did you encounter.

Was going to splash out and have electronic shifting too (Di2)

Lee

Mike Stretford 24 Aug 2020
In reply to lee birtwistle: Internal hubs are like running single speed, some kind of chain tensioning is required. I tried  sring based chain tensioners, but I wouldn't bother, you're best with a frame that has horizontal dropout, or the diagonal ones some internal hub frames have. The dropouts on your 27 gears frame won't allow adjustments, as far as I am aware.

For belt drives, a special frame is required, as the belt can't be split, like a chain can for installation. They have a removable piece of frame to leave a gap the belt can go through.

Post edited at 13:53
 thepodge 24 Aug 2020
In reply to lee birtwistle:

Unlikely you'll be able to install belt drive unless your frame has already been designed to accept it. 

I've run quite a few Alfine & Sturmey Archer hubs. The only issue you will have is people telling you that normal gears are better. 

In reply to Mike, I've always run a front tensioner, far neater, generally out of the way and make getting wheels in and out a doddle. 

Post edited at 13:47
 elsewhere 24 Aug 2020

Split belts:

https://www.veercycle.com/

In reply to thepodge:

> In reply to Mike, I've always run a front tensioner, far neater, generally out of the way and make getting wheels in and out a doddle. 

Fairynuff... personally, I found another component spoiled the tidier bike I was after, but each to their own.

Won't all belt drive compatible frames have long dropouts though, for adjustment?

In reply to elsewhere:

> Split belts:

Interesting.... and pricey!

In reply to Mike Stretford:

Think I'll stick with a chain for starters

elsewhere 24 Aug 2020
In reply to Mike Stretford:

> Interesting.... and pricey!

Very!

thepodge 24 Aug 2020

In that case, are you happy to go from 27 to 11 gears?

There's likely some duplication so you don't really have 27 but you'll probably notice quite a difference. 

Schmiken 25 Aug 2020

What frame is it? I've done a few IGH conversions at work.

Crazylegs 25 Aug 2020

I have an Alfine 8 (chain driven) on my Kaffenback commuter cross. Just passed 10,000 miles and it's had 2 oil baths and on its 2nd chainring/sprocket/chain. Typically 15-30 daily miles of towpath clag, trail mud and road salt. Faultless and cheap to run.

Yes it's a bit heavy, a little lossy and I yearn for the range of the 11 speed but I have little doubt that it won't do another 10k+ miles.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...