UKC

Cycle from Asbourne to Crewe

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 lee birtwistle 25 Jul 2017
Hi all

Im looking at cycling to Crewe to visit my niece in a couple of weeks. I have found a nice route up to Ashbourne from Leicester via a couple of NCN paths.
Would like recommendations of how to get across to Crewe / Nantwich from Ashbourne without going along the A523 through Waterhouses. Looks like there are a few back roads which I could follow but any advice would be helpful.

Going to attempt Mow Cop with a fully loaded touring bike on way back

Thanks in anticipation
 Prof. Outdoors 25 Jul 2017
In reply to lee birtwistle:
I have cycled the A523 and it is not too bad. Most traffic now uses the A50 but below is an outline for an alternative that may be of use.
You have the problem of getting around the conurbation that is Stoke-on-Trent

Ashbourne then South West along B5032 & B5030 to Rocester.
(Test drive a JCB if it floats your boat)
West on minor road through to Blythe Bridge
WSW to Barlaston
Pick up towpath alongside Trent Mersey Canal
This can be followed all the way to Harecastle Tunnel where towpath ends. (See para below)
A short section of road can be followed before picking up another cycle path into Kidsgrove.
The A50 & B5077 can be followed into Crewe.
The B road is quite twisty and car drivers don't acknowledge the possibility of bicycles.

Trent Mersey canal can be followed to Middleport just west of Burslem.
Fiddly section of paths to join the B5369 & B5500 can be used to head west towards Crewe.

Enjoy Mow Cop.
My cyclocross gearing makes it hard work for a climber on a bicycle like me.
It is only when you see me at a crag that you think I must be a cyclist on a climb!
Post edited at 21:52
 Prof. Outdoors 25 Jul 2017

Return route???
Ride up Mow Cop
Collapse at the top and pause to take photographs of 80 mile view to Plynlimon, Snowdon, Saddlworth Moor, Todmorden.
http://viewfinderpanoramas.org/panoramas/ENG/MOWCOP.GIF

Pick up many minor roads South East to Endon on the Caldon Canal
Follow north east towards Leek.
Caldon Canal joins Churnet Valley
South east along paths and minor roads alongside River Churnet to Denstone.
Pick up B5032 into Ashbourne.

Very rough description above but it may give food for thought.

Strachan 26 Jul 2017

Perhaps Alton, Ipstones, Cheddleton, Endon, Gratton, Rudyard, Biddulph, Mow Cop, Newbold, Smallwood, Wheelock... Crewe?

To be honest the Staffordshire Moorlands is almost uniformly stunning and has plenty of amazing riding so you can't go far wrong with this (I'm from Congleton originally).

wrt Mow Cop on the return trip, my favourite route up is to start from Scholar Green, go up past the Rising Sun pub, under the bridge and keep following that road. Much longer than the killer mile, but an excellent climb.

Wherever you go, enjoy!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...