UKC

Cycling holiday....Spain

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 abr1966 07 Jun 2023

Looking to arrange a week in Spain for early October....probably southern Spain. Any experiences or recommendations for companies/ organisers/ best places to go? 

We are thinking of a base hotel where we could ideally be picked up from the airport and have bikes to hire....

Any comments/advice greatly received...thanks.

Brian_C 07 Jun 2023
In reply to abr1966:

No practical advice I'm afraid, but currently reading (and enjoying) Everything Passes, Everything remains by Chris Dolan which details his cycling trips to Spain (along with much else).

Something to whet your appetite for the trip? 

OP abr1966 07 Jun 2023
In reply to Brian_C:

Thanks...I'll have a look for that!

Having looked in more detail it looks like a Jet2 type of package plus hiring a bike is the best kind of deal....by quite a bit in terms of cost!!

Toby_W 07 Jun 2023
In reply to abr1966:

I stayed at a pace just up the coast from Barcelona that had a set of hire bikes (all nice Cervelo s or r) as well as an Olympic pool which was nice.  Even better the Russian women’s Olympic swimming squad were there training!

bit of a faff to cycle out of the little town but once out the coastal riding was lovely and inland there were some big climbs.  Drivers were very kind and patient.

Crol Center Calella was the place.

Cheers

Toby

druridge 07 Jun 2023
In reply to abr1966:

Malaga is a good start. Trains to the airport so no need for pickup, excellent English speaking bike hire in the town (walk from the train station). Quick access inland to super quiet roads and tracks in the hills and forests

Enty 07 Jun 2023
In reply to abr1966:

> Having looked in more detail it looks like a Jet2 type of package plus hiring a bike is the best kind of deal....by quite a bit in terms of cost!!

But you won't get:

Vehicle support on your rides

Guided rides every day

GPX files for GPS devices for non guided rides

Emergency call out

Kit washing facilities

Guaranteed safe bike storage

Tools, track pumps and workshop facilities

Co2 Cartridges because you can't fly with them

Local knowledge (Priceless)

E

Mark Eddy 07 Jun 2023
In reply to abr1966:

Pete at https://blancabikes.com

He can organise as much as you want, does airport pick up, bike hire. He rides most days and knows the region very well, so well placed to advise on routes too.

HTH

Godwin 07 Jun 2023
In reply to abr1966:

In the grand tradition of UKC, you have asked about Southern Spain, so some numpty, will of course suggest, Tuscany.

Joking aside, we walked through Gaiole in Chianti, and discovered it is Bike central, and in October they have something called L'Eroica, which looks really interesting, if only as a spectacle. You perhaps know all about it, so apologies https://eroica.cc/en/gaiole , but it was all new to me and it struck me as super cycling destination.

nniff 08 Jun 2023
In reply to Enty:

Four CO2 cartridges are allowed, in hold or cabin

"Small non flammable gas cylinders, containing carbon dioxide or other suitable gas in Division 2.2. Up two (2) small cylinders fitted into a life jacket, and up to two (2) spare cartridges per person, not more than four (4) cylinders up to 50 ml water capacity for other devices."

ChrisJD 08 Jun 2023
In reply to abr1966:

Majorca is one of 'the' places to go in Spain for road biking, so I'm told.

Enty 08 Jun 2023
In reply to nniff:

Oh I know that. Shame that not all the people who check in bike boxes at UK airports don't.

E

Ciro 08 Jun 2023
In reply to abr1966:

Fly to Mallorca with a touring bike, hammock and tarp, and just wander where the mood takes you, sleeping in beautiful quiet spots in the trees above the sea. Wherever you end up, you're always in striking distance of the airport.

mike123 08 Jun 2023
In reply to abr1966: there are three answers to your question : calpe , calpe and er calpe . I’ve been several times on cragging combined with biking trips . It’s pretty hard to beat . Where to start ?

1.It’s easy to get to . Fly to Alicante . Bus / train / private transfer
2. it’s cheap . Everything . Accommodation . Food . Eating out .

3. it’s a real Spanish city . Good proper Spanish bars and restaurants etc 

4. It  also caters for the , erm   , the  cheap English breakfast market .

5. There are more than enough good bike routes for several weeks .

6 . There is more than enough cragging for several lifetimes .

7. there’s a good bike hire shop that is reasonably priced and very helpfull ( sol y bike ).

8. ……somebody else can carry on ….

I’ve been to lots of places in Spain for cragging and biking, including Majorca a few times  . Calpe is the only one I’ve been to several times .

Edit : I’ve also been to el chorro several times , but calpe is better for biking 

Post edited at 22:47
 Alun 12 Jun 2023
In reply to nniff:

As Enty said, baggage handlers at the airport are not necessarily au fait with the rules, which I believe might be different for each airline.

When I tried to take a couple of CO2 cartridge through (on a Ryanair flight, in a bike bag) the airport staff stopped me at check-in, said they would have to call Ryanair local reps to check their rules.... of course nobody answered the phone, time was ticking etc etc. so I ended up not taking them.

Mark Eddy 12 Jun 2023
In reply to mike123:

......9) It's within easy riding distance of Musette cafe in Alcalali. Where the coffee is fantastic

Mr Fuller 12 Jun 2023
In reply to abr1966:

I'm surprised Girona hasn't been mentioned yet. I've been to Girona twice and am going for a third time in October. It's a genuinely idyllic city with phenomenal riding of every type and excellent food, drinks, stuff to do on easy days, etc.. I find much of the Alicante, Benidorm, Altea, Calpe coastline a bit of a cultural wasteland to be honest (same for Mallorca). Lack of culture is fine if you're on a training camp but for a holiday you might want something to do that's not riding.

You can get the train to Girona in a day from plenty of bits of England and there are tons of bike hire options.

OP abr1966 12 Jun 2023
In reply to Mr Fuller:

I hadn't thought of Girona, I've never been but looks interesting....will look in to it, cheers.....and thanks to everyone else....much appreciated!

Dark-Cloud 13 Jun 2023
In reply to abr1966:

I'm going to go with suggesting somewhere you are not asking about and suggest Mallorca.

Just stay in Puerto Pollensa or Puerto de Alcudia, load of bike hire places, loads of hotels catering for cycling. I haven't been for years but went about 10 years on the trot, our club still goes every year along with thousands of others

Post edited at 13:21

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...