UKC

Cycling insurance

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 LastBoyScout 20 Mar 2018

Have been thinking for a while that I probably ought to have some cycling-specific insurance and wondered what people use before I just go and sign up to British Cycling membership.

I do have some level of cover on my house/contents insurance, but I'm a keen enough rider (commuting/road/sportives/MTB/touring) that this might not be adequate - and I might not want to hammer the no-claims on it anyway.

Thanks,

In reply to LastBoyScout:

I brought some specific cycling insurance for  my new bike last year.

It's certainly given me an extra piece of mind over any issues with cycling .  

I used Velosure and pay 4.20 a month.

I haven't claimed anything on it thankfully and so cannot attest to how easy it might be for a new bike or payout.

I think its a weight of my mind rather than sticking it on my house insurance .

TWS

ianstevens 20 Mar 2018

I use Wiggle - cheapest I could find for the cover I want, and they do multi-bike discount (reflecting that whilst n+1 bikes are essential, you can only ride one at a time). Not additional cost for monthly payments either.

Not tested out the claim end of things mind, and hopefully will never need to.

chris fox 20 Mar 2018

Another option is this 

https://pedalcover.co.uk/ 

but be aware if you do make a claim i think it would impact your home no claims too

FinrodFelagund 20 Mar 2018

> wondered what people use before I just go and sign up to British Cycling membership.

You may already be aware, but just in case, British Cycling membership only provides third party cover. I.e you're covered for damage you cause to other people and/or their property, but your own bike is not covered. 

I'm insured through Cycleguard, who give me a discount for my British Cycling membership. But I've never claimed with them, so can't give you any info on how good or bad they are. 

ChrisJD 20 Mar 2018

What are you looking to cover with the cycling insurance?

One of my good friends was hit by a car (life changing injury through zero fault on his part) and got incredible legal support via BS Silver Cover dealing with the car driver insurance company.

OP LastBoyScout 21 Mar 2018
In reply to ChrisJD:

I assume you mean BC rather than BS?

I'm mainly after insurance if I hit something and legal cover if someone hits me - one of the reasons I've got the contents insurance I have is that it covers the bikes at home and in use.

Probably looking at BC Ride cover at £39.

NorthernGrit 21 Mar 2018

British Cycling for me. I don't ride anything so expensive i couldn't cover it if I totalled it through my own fault (I'm also covered on other aspects by H&C/Life insurance).

Mainly peace of mind for if i were to do damage to someone else but also I am (unfortunately) making use of their very good legal cover since getting wiped out by a car in November.

ChrisJD 21 Mar 2018

Just check that the Legal Support for cycling outside UK suits your needs.

Also, there are also restrictions on Legal Support in cases of BC member versus BC member.

AndyDore 21 Mar 2018

My gravel bike has schwalbe cx comp 35mm tyres and continental innertubes

ChrisJD 21 Mar 2018
In reply to AndyDore:

> My gravel bike has schwalbe cx comp 35mm tyres and continental innertubes

I think you'll be wanting this thread:

https://www.ukclimbing.com/forums/biking/touring_tyres-681318

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...