UKC

Cycling insurance

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Tim Davies 31 May 2020

Any views on buying cycling insurance ? 

Specifically personal accident insurance whether at fault or not. British cycling seems  to offer one solution. 

CTC seems to be more expensive for very similar or slightly worse cover.

wilkesley 31 May 2020
In reply to Tim Davies:

If you have home insurance you might find that this already has public liability cover.

J1234 31 May 2020
In reply to Tim Davies:

I have joined the CTC, with all the people roaming around with headphones in and oblivious to my approach, thought I better get it sorted, though apparently some home policies cover it.

Siward 31 May 2020
In reply to Tim Davies:

If your house cover is up for renewal take a look at pedalcover.

Their quote for me was a teeny bit more than my standard cover but the cycling cover included, if you're a keen cyclist, is very good. 

Dave B 31 May 2020
In reply to Tim Davies:

I insure a bike with Laka and use their £12 per annum cover... I get £12 discount on my bike insurance. 

Neil Williams 31 May 2020
In reply to J1234:

With home cover it's generally that the third party liability bit (primarily intended to cover liability arising from home ownership, e.g. a tile blowing off your roof and going through next door's car window or your tree knocking their wall down) always excludes liability from motor vehicles but generally doesn't exclude other general liability.  Direct Line confirmed to me in writing ages ago that this did include liability arising from cycling, though this may have changed, and some policies may only apply it to the policyholder rather than all residents.

Well worth a read before taking something else out.

Perhaps because they're a nation of renters so not everyone will have a home insurance policy, Germans typically have a general third party liability insurance policy covering their actions (Haftpflichtversicherung) which would cover this.  I have long wondered if this would be a good thing if the UK moved that way.

Post edited at 14:50
OP Tim Davies 31 May 2020
In reply to Tim Davies:

Thanks everyone for the advice 

got suckered into the British cycling one. Offering £50 of “free” SIS stuff which Ill use plus they do some half decent campaigning for cyclists

nniff 01 Jun 2020
In reply to Tim Davies:

The British Cycling one is good - besides which, when I was was involved in a hit and run as the 'hittee' they were very good and we finally got a fair settlement of the hitter's insurance.  The police also did a fine job - shame about the court system, which was farcical.

J1234 01 Jun 2020
In reply to Tim Davies:

You get a magazine to, and mine has arrived this morning 😁

mondite 01 Jun 2020
In reply to Tim Davies:

As others have mentioned you may get it via your household.

In terms of BC vs Cycling UK. I went for Cycling UK since overall I think they are better advocates for cycling in general whereas BC is mostly focussed on road racing.

Jim Lancs 01 Jun 2020

And as you get a magazine with both British Cycling and Cycling UK, you might as well join the organisation that gives you the magazine that better reflects which bit of cycling you're interested in. 

ChrisJD 02 Jun 2020
In reply to Siward:

> If your house cover is up for renewal take a look at pedalcover.

> Their quote for me was a teeny bit more than my standard cover but the cycling cover included, if you're a keen cyclist, is very good. 

+1 for PedalCover

Just renewed for third year with these guys, unlimited house & unlimited contents cover, with £15k cover for bikes away from home, even on a bike carrier. £2M Public liability cover.

But if you only want cycling insurance, then go for British Cycling Membership 'Ride' or 'Race' membership.

A good friend of ours had a life changing RTA when out cycling (0% his fault) and his British Cycling membership cover/support/legal has been nothing short of incredible.

In reply to Dave B:

Second Laka, they are a great company.

Dave B 03 Jun 2020
In reply to blackmountainbiker:

A bit more expensive than I'd hoped, but they seem to sort payouts and do on really well from reports. Which if you do lose your bike is what you want. 

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...