UKC

Cycling out of Glasgow to Arrochar

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Phil1919 23 Mar 2022

Has anyone cycled this route. It looks like a good sustrans route to Loch Lomand? Easy to follow?Then up the west side of Loch Lomond. Not ideal but how much of it has protected cycling by the side of the road? Thanks.

ThunderCat 23 Mar 2022
In reply to Phil1919:

I've done the Sustrans route from Glasgow to Inverness several times Phil - lovely route.

It's been a couple of years but if memory serves, you start by the Exhibition centre, and it feels like there's about 3-5 miles of 'city' cycling (off road but close to it) and then you seem to off on dedicated footpaths and then it seems to be off in the sticks in a remarkably quick time.

Very easy to follow, very well signposted

Gutted - we were supposed to be doing it in September last year, but had to cancel due to Covid uncertainty.  Possibility for this year too but work commitments have put the blocker on it!

ThunderCat 23 Mar 2022
In reply to Phil1919:

Just to add I think the Sustrans route carries on up the east side of Loch Lomond, so I guess you're deviating a bit at that point - I've never gone that way

OP Phil1919 23 Mar 2022
In reply to ThunderCat:

Ah, OK, thanks. I'd have to do the route I described from Glasgow Station but bodes well for general quality of route.

elsewhere 23 Mar 2022
In reply to Phil1919:

I have used the cycle path to Balloch - no problems. I've heard the cycle path up the W side of Loch Lomond is good but not done it.

I don't know the road bike routes but there's lots of traffic free stuff around Glasgow if you go onto rougher tracks and don't mind walking the odd section.

Train & from Croy then circuit around Carron Valley Reservoir on forest tracks might be worth a look. 45km but beware 950m ascent according to Strava. Sticking to lowest track on S side of reservoir should reduce climbing and avoid MTB bits so should be OK as almost any bike can do a forest track.

Not much traffic on Croy<->Carron Valley road but watch out for slippery ford you encounter at speed and the cause of various accidents. I only slowed down because a there was already a guy on the ground who needed help. 

malky_c 23 Mar 2022
In reply to Phil1919:

The route is fairly obvious (a couple of sudden turns in Dumbarton excepted, although the signs are there if you look). I’ve only ever followed it as far as the Helensburgh turning but it looks good up through Luss and beyond. The last couple of miles into Tarbet are on a rather narrow and rough pavement though, probably no better than just going on the road itself.

You could take the Helensburgh turning and go via Glen Fruin and Faslane instead - you’re on main roads after Glen Fruin but a fair bit quieter than the A82.

If you’re going any further up the A82 after Tarbet, it’s pretty dire. Narrow, twisty and busy with almost no footpaths or other ways to avoid the road itself. It widens again north of Ardlui.

Post edited at 10:14
OP Phil1919 23 Mar 2022
In reply to malky_c:

Thanks. Definitely turning off to go to Arrochar. I thought I'd pick the A82 as I thought it would have a separate cycle lane.

OP Phil1919 23 Mar 2022
In reply to elsewhere:

Thanks. That's very good. A proper route.

elsewhere 23 Mar 2022
In reply to Phil1919:

I just downloaded a dozen routes as pdfs from there

https://www.lochlomond-trossachs.org/things-to-do/cycling/cycling-routes/

In reply to Phil1919: Did it in January after a winter storm - path surface on W Loch Lomond part isn’t great for a lot of it. I wouldn’t go near it with my road bike but gravel bike was fine. There’s a few sections when you are on path next to A82 - not that pleasant but safe. There’s also some lovely quiet Loch-side sections to compensate. The alternative ride up from Helensburgh is on road but usually very quiet after Faslane.

elsewhere 23 Mar 2022
In reply to Humphrey Jungle:

> Did it in January after a winter storm - path surface on W Loch Lomond part isn’t great for a lot of it. I wouldn’t go near it with my road bike but gravel bike was fine. There’s a few sections when you are on path next to A82 - not that pleasant but safe. There’s also some lovely quiet Loch-side sections to compensate. The alternative ride up from Helensburgh is on road but usually very quiet after Faslane.

There's a mostly forest track alternative that way but I've not tried it.

OP Phil1919 23 Mar 2022
In reply to Humphrey Jungle:

Thanks for that.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...