UKC

Cycling shorts with room for a gentlemen's luggage

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 betathief 09 May 2021

I've worn a pair of rapha core shorts on a few rides now. Now the pad is amazing, but the room in the front is non existent, and therefore is creating an uncomfortable ride. The rapha Is the flattest front to a cycling short I've owned.

My last pair from decathlon was the same story, and the ones before that (can't remember brand). 

To give context I wear shorts, not bibs. To commute to work, 16 miles, hybrid bike. So sitting bending forward, but not in road/racing position. 

Even if there is a pair that only pad the bum and nothing else, would give a bit more room.

So the personal question... is there a pair of cycling shorts that is comfortable on my bum and has some room for my balls? Bit of a crass question, but hey I need to ask! 

Morty 09 May 2021
In reply to betathief:

Following

Yanis Nayu 09 May 2021
In reply to betathief:

Do you faint when you get an erection?

Pedro50 09 May 2021
In reply to betathief:

Off topic when I decided to cycle to work I bought some Rapha cycling jeans. They were so tight around the thighs I could hardly walk downstairs and I'm not exactly Chris Hoy. 

the sheep 09 May 2021
In reply to betathief:

I have fat lad at the back kit to be very comfortable 

You don’t need to be fat either 😊

neuromancer 09 May 2021
In reply to betathief:

Have you tried rearranging yourself so you aren't sitting on your testicles?

Webster 09 May 2021
In reply to betathief:

i have a pair of cheap muddy fox non-bib cycling shorts which are a bit more spacious at the front than normal bib shorts, but this is not as ideal as you might think. the lack of compression leads to the dreaded numbness much quicker than on tighter shorts! 

if your hung like a horse then padded shorts just arent for you, if you are of average proportions then you either just need to get used to it, or do away with padded shorts and get a padded saddle instead! undershorts/bib-shorts are tight for a reason.

Webster 09 May 2021
In reply to betathief:

i might also add, try a bigger size? that will give you more volume, and you are hardly concerned with aero gains so it doesnt matter if you end up with bunching at the bottom of the thighs

hbeevers 09 May 2021
In reply to betathief:

Give galibier a try, I have a similar issue with my rapha core shorts. Galibier classique use their endurance pad which is shaped to match a saddle shape at the front so doesn't squash stuff. 

Galibier kit is also a bargain at the price anyway.

DerwentDiluted 09 May 2021
In reply to betathief:

Reminds me of a quote from Sir Les Patterson, "my tailor asked me if I dress to the left, or to the right. I said, Don't worry about that, just make them baggy around the knees'.

Ciro 09 May 2021
In reply to betathief:

Not quite the question you want answered, but an ISM saddle should eliminate the problem and let you wear whatever shorts you like 🙂

Mowglee 09 May 2021
In reply to hbeevers:

Galibier stuff is good but I've found the sizes come up on the small side. Probably worth going up a size, especially if things are already a but constrained.

Boomer Doomer 09 May 2021
In reply to betathief:

That's possibly the apex of first world problems I've ever encountered! I wish I could be more empathetic, but much to Mrs Doomer's chagrin I can't!

On a more serious note... I think Ciro may be right... it could be more of a saddle problem. An ISM saddle or a drop nose saddle like the Selle SMP Avant might be the solution. Other than that, Si Richardson of GCN wears Castelli shorts and he appears to be hung like a horse. 😉

Alkis 09 May 2021
In reply to betathief:

Hm, I've never had this issue with either cycling shorts or bibs. I have to, well, pull things up and out of the way, but I never found the lack of space problematic. I'll have to second what others have said and check whether there may be something wrong with your saddle setup. With a proper saddle you don't necessarily even *need* padded shorts for a 16 mile journey. I've done 100 miles without on my previous bike, which had a saddle I really got on with well, my new bike is busting my gooch *with* bibs so I may need to replace the saddle.

Post edited at 22:58
 bouldery bits 09 May 2021
In reply to betathief:

I also, definitely, 100% need this. 

Definitely.

Absolutely definitely. 

The whole thing actually makes me more aero. 

nniff 10 May 2021
In reply to betathief:

I can't think of anything worse than an ISM saddle - I  had one and it was OK as long as my nose was on the stem - as soon as I sat up it was purgatory.  As the OP is riding fairly upright, a TT-derivative saddle is hardly the answer, especially if wearing shorts rather than bibs.

As far as shorts are concerned - not Castelli - at least not the top end ones.  Sizing is mad and the fabric very firm

I think Stolen Goat might work for you - they're very forgiving material - I have two old pairs of their bib shorts - one Large and one Small and I can't tell them apart.  https://stolengoat.com/product/stolen-goat-mens-core-non-bib-shorts/  Pad's OK - it's not in Assos territory though, but then neither is the price.  These days, I wear Assos - can't comment on their shorts rather than bibs, they they fit well and are very comfortable in all regards

Dark-Cloud 10 May 2021
In reply to betathief:

Any pair of shorts that has room for "things" at the front isn't going to be ideal, shorts are designed so everything stays in place, last thing you want is room for "things" to move or get displaced!

If it's just for commuting have you tried padded liners and baggies ?

https://www.endurasport.com/engineered-padded-boxer-ii-black/12927006.html

In reply to betathief:

Images of .....

lboutside 10 May 2021
In reply to betathief:

I find Le Col to be quite comfy and if you're on Strava and ride enough you can get a decent £50 discount once a month.

Jon Greengrass 10 May 2021
In reply to betathief:

Assos  used to do shorts with a “kuku penthouse “

Hilarious blog about them linked below, NSFW.

http://bikesnobnyc.blogspot.com/2013/09/this-just-in-fetishistic-cycling.ht...

on a more serious note, pull your shorts up, lift and tuck, to keep your stuff away from the saddle.

Post edited at 16:40
 MisterPiggy 10 May 2021
In reply to betathief:

In a similar situation, I found Decathlon's mountain bike shorts perfect. Not sure of the exact product name, but they're tagged B'twin and Six. Pockets on both thighs, pocket on the back with key ring, padded inside. Ample space for man-bits. I'm on my third pair; they last about four years at 100k/week.

AllanMac 10 May 2021
In reply to betathief:

You could cut a hole in it and pretend it’s the crossbar. Or the downtube, depending on your mood.

wercat 11 May 2021
In reply to AllanMac:

> You could cut a hole in it and pretend it’s the crossbar. Or the downtube, depending on your mood.

My father in his early career was involved in a court case where that (crossbar) was the defence offered in a bicycle flashing case - as to what had actually been seen in the dusk

Ciro 11 May 2021
In reply to nniff:

> I can't think of anything worse than an ISM saddle - I  had one and it was OK as long as my nose was on the stem - as soon as I sat up it was purgatory. 

Maybe it just doesn't suit you, but maybe you didn't have it set up properly? I've used one for everything from 70.3 triathlon with a full TT position to long distance touring with a much more relaxed set-up. It took me a bit of trial and error to find the optimum positions for different riding positions, but once I did I found it more comfortable that any other saddles I've used in all of them.

> As the OP is riding fairly upright, a TT-derivative saddle is hardly the answer, especially if wearing shorts rather than bibs.

ISM do a rage of saddles for everything from TT to hybrid commuters to touring bikes. But as I say, the TT saddle can be set up to work well in a sat up position.

Alkis 11 May 2021
In reply to MisterPiggy:

And as a counterpoint, I would strongly warn people against their top end road bibs, sold under the Van Rysel brand. The straps are made of what feels like sandpaper. Returned them immediately, something THIS uncomfortable after 30 seconds would be hell after a few hours on the saddle, I think it would have sanded my nipples off. Their shorts feel much better thankfully.

nniff 11 May 2021
In reply to Ciro:

ISM saddle - I tried everything, but as soon as I sat up it was awful. It had to go. Fabric Scoop for me now

Ciro 11 May 2021
In reply to nniff:

> ISM saddle - I tried everything, but as soon as I sat up it was awful. It had to go. Fabric Scoop for me now

Fair enough, I guess saddles are a fairly individual thing... personally I always got on fine with a more traditional saddle design going for a couple of hours in the saddle, but the ISM was a definite step up in comfort when going longer as it moved more of my weight from the soft tissues to the sit bones than any other saddle I've tried.

I guess it's good that anyone reading this has both perspectives before potentially shelling out to find out which camp they're in! 🙂

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...