UKC

Cyclist Hit and Run

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Phil79 03 May 2019

Just came across this on the BBC website. 

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-48146525

So clear case of hit and run, driver on wrong side of road, no attempt to stop , all clearly caught on camera.

Cyclist meanwhile, suffered bleed on the brain, broken nose, broken hand and ligament damage. 

And the police response:

"The Met said it had sent a form to the registered owner of the BMW to ask who was driving at the time."

"The owner will be summoned to court if they fail to return the form within 33 days."

A f*****g form! Really!?

Now I appreciate the Met are in the middle of a knife crime epidemic and resources thin on the ground, but to me that seem a totally inadequate response given the severity of what happened?

Jus 03 May 2019
In reply to Phil79:

A f*cking form indeed. You mean they are not even going to go to the address where the car is registered??

dread-i 03 May 2019
In reply to Phil79:

"The Met said it had sent a form to the registered owner of the BMW to ask who was driving at the time.

The owner will be summoned to court if they fail to return the form within 33 days."

I would have hoped a more robust approach would be taken, than a form with a threat of a summons.

I cant help wondering if it was the chief constable who was knocked off, if the response would have been the same.

ThunderCat 03 May 2019
In reply to Phil79:

Saw it a few moments ago.  Horrific and left me feeling cold.  

Whitters 03 May 2019
In reply to Phil79:

That video was brutal.

Cannot believe the Police response. Boils my p!$$.

In reply to Phil79:

What is wrong with this country???

In reply to Phil79:

FFS.

Andy Reeve 03 May 2019
In reply to Phil79:

Agreed. This from the BBC report:

"Mr Dey said he asked the restaurant for its CCTV footage when police told him they would not be able to go there for several days - by which time he feared any footage might be deleted. The Met said it was grateful for Mr Dey's help in sending them the video."

suggests that the investigation has mostly been left to the victim.

In reply to Andy Reeve:

> suggests that the investigation has mostly been left to the victim.

That'll be 'Big Society'. Remember that? Another of Cameron's great achievements...

Tricky Dicky 03 May 2019
In reply to Phil79:

Probably some coppers wife driving, hence the lack of response................

TobyA 03 May 2019
In reply to Phil79:

This would be one where it would be really interesting to hear off duty's perspective on why the police would seem to be so passive on this. It does seem bizarre that they have the reg plate but seemingly are content to deal with the issue via the post!?! Could they not even phone the registered owner?

buzby 03 May 2019
In reply to Phil79:

watched the video a few times and it looks to me like the car swerved across the road to deliberately hit the cyclist. possible attempted murder?  

nufkin 03 May 2019
In reply to Andy Reeve:

>  "Mr Dey said he asked the restaurant for its CCTV footage when police told him they would not be able to go there for several days"

I tried to get a copy off CCTV footage from a council camera after an incident last year (no police response required, I was just curious to see what had happened from a third-party perspective, as it were); I was told any requests had to go through a solicitor or insurance company (neither of which I had or planned to engage) - individuals can't view it on account of possible breaches of privacy of other parties recorded

ThunderCat 03 May 2019
In reply to buzby:

> watched the video a few times and it looks to me like the car swerved across the road to deliberately hit the cyclist. possible attempted murder?  

I was thinking that it could certainly be interpreted that way...although you can't see where he is a few seconds before he comes into shot. 

I'm wondering if the cyclists own perspective is different...that he was on the wrong side of the road through stupidity rather than purposefully swerving across then back again.  

I'm really hoping that if he had said "someone has just swerved across the road and deliberately knocked me over", then it would have generated a more serious response from the police rather than the one they gave.

Don't for a second think I;m trying to make excuses for the driver.  The *** should be behind bars and not behind the wheel of a car for a very long time.

Post edited at 17:03
 elsewhere 03 May 2019
In reply to nufkin:

> I tried to get a copy off CCTV footage from a council camera after an incident last year (no police response required, I was just curious to see what had happened from a third-party perspective, as it were); I was told any requests had to go through a solicitor or insurance company (neither of which I had or planned to engage) - individuals can't view it on account of possible breaches of privacy of other parties recorded

Possible bollocks from the council as you also have the right to see your personal data specifically including CCTV.

https://ico.org.uk/your-data-matters/your-right-of-access/

In reply to elsewhere:

> Possible bollocks from the council

Possibly using the 'ICBA legislation'...

Dave Cundy 03 May 2019
In reply to Phil79:

If it was me, I'd be writing to the Police Commissioner asking them to ask their Chief Police Officer how they justified their lack of urgent response to a hit and run.

This crime is way more serious than that ex-MP who recently got a month of prison food for speeding and then perverting the course of justice.

Removed User 03 May 2019
In reply to Dave Cundy:

> > This crime is way more serious than that ex-MP who recently got a month of prison food for speeding and then perverting the course of justice.

While it is difficult to see what happened just before the cyclist was hit I'd say it is at least possible that this was attempted murder. I know its far too speculative but my point is that it is at least possible therefore the police should be treating it as such.

In reply to ThunderCat:

> I'm really hoping that if he had said "someone has just swerved across the road and deliberately knocked me over"

Bit hard to do that when you're lying in the road, unconscious, with a bleed on the brain, and can't recall the incident at all when you come round in the hospital...

ThunderCat 03 May 2019
In reply to captain paranoia:

> Bit hard to do that when you're lying in the road, unconscious, with a bleed on the brain, and can't recall the incident at all when you come round in the hospital...

It was just a thought as to why the police were not treating it as attempted murder.  Maybe there was more information already to hand than just the footage.  I'm trying to think of reasons why the police are giving it as much priority as a speeding ticket.

In reply to Phil79:

The response to a similar incident near me last year was somewhat different:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-berkshire-45838931

Spotted the outcome in the local newspaper this evening: 21 years in jail.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/amp/uk-england-berkshire-48091015

Quite why the Met are treating this so lightly is a mystery and a disgrace. But then I'm getting used to the lack of prosecution of drivers who mow down cyclists.

Post edited at 21:45
 coldfell 03 May 2019
In reply to captain paranoia: get used to it, the police rarely act in cycling incidents ( in London, at least) it seems the only protection is BCF insurance and their lawyers that fight for justice, but that is after the event, which should never have happened.

Trevers 06 May 2019
In reply to Phil79:

Clear case of attempted murder. A long jail sentence and a lifetime driving ban are the only sensible response. If no response from the owner of the vehicle, then the owner is held to be the driver.

fred99 06 May 2019
In reply to captain paranoia:

> Quite why the Met are treating this so lightly is a mystery and a disgrace. But then I'm getting used to the lack of prosecution of drivers who mow down cyclists.

Too many Police Officers are only car drivers, and regard cyclists as some form of underclass because they, in their view; can't afford a car (even though many - or most - have a car as well but choose not to clog up the roads unnecessarily).

Unfortunately there are many different underclasses in their view, based on colour,class, sex, age and so forth. None of these are afforded the rights they should be.

LastBoyScout 06 May 2019
In reply to nufkin:

I got knocked off my motorbike last year, in full view of the forecourt CCTV of a BP garage - in fact, one of the attendants came over to tell me he'd seen it happen on the camera and they had the footage.

Wouldn't give it to me direct, I had to request it via customer services via the insurance company - although I had to chase LV like mad as BP only keep the footage for 30 days.

mark s 06 May 2019
In reply to Phil79:

I have zero confidence in the police to do anything.  this should have been dealt with as soon as it happened.

look at the way the police deal with illegal fox hunters, all part of the elite ACAB

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...