/ Decathlon Mountain Bikes

Please Register as a New User in order to reply to this topic.
humptydumpty 19:25 Fri

I know nothing about bikes, but want something for long-distance bike packing.  I have about 800 quid to blow.  Are the Decathlon 29" bikes decent value around that price, or should I be looking elsewhere?

thepodge 20:40 Fri
In reply to humptydumpty:

These days it's really hard to buy a bad bike, especially around £800. Go somewhere else and you might get better this that or the other but nothing so wildly out that you'd really notice. 

If you're doing long distance stuff then the most important thing is not spec but fit. You're more likely to get a better fit in a physical shop than mail order even though you might buy (on paper) a worse bike.

daftdazza 09:19 Sat

The decathlon bikes your on about for that price provide great value for money, not really going to beat them on spec.

abr1966 09:20 Sat

There are some good review videos on YouTube in different price categories that are worth a look. Depends what you want....29'rs are getting more and more popular for example. Halfords sell the Voodoo Bizango around £600 which has won best bike in its class for the past couple of years...

GPN 19:15 Sat

It really depends on what you mean by long distance! For 100 mile rides in the UK a Decathlon bike will be fine. For 1000 mile rides in remote areas, not so much.

CragRat11 20:05 Sat

Spending £800 on a second hand bike made by a better manufacturer would get you a much better bike in the long run. Depends how willing you are to tart it up a but if it needs it.

daftdazza 00:34 Sun
In reply to CragRat11:

https://www.decathlon.co.uk/xc-100-mountain-bike-nx-eagle-29-id_8405350.html

I personally think this would be the perfect bike for long distance bike packing and fast xc riding in general, great for rough stuff like the HT550 or silk road MTB race, or more gentler gravel routes like wild Argyll trail. It has the gearing to get up any hill, and it's very light weight for the cost. Don't gamble with second hand unless it's fairly new, who knows how many of the components will need replaced soon after you buy it, and for the spec your getting from decathlon a second hand bike wouldn't be offering you much in upgrades.  And don't believe the brand snobs either, there is little value in the big brands compared to direct sale companies, with most frames made in the same factory.

Please Register as a New User in order to reply to this topic.