UKC

Double childrens bike trailer- suspension or not

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Bog ninja 18 Jan 2021

Hi y everyone, another biking question. I’m looking at bike trailers to go bike rides and bike packing with my daughter, on forest trails like the rothiemurchus, peat roads in the flow country and routes like Stratvaich to Ullapool.  I’ve been looking at the cost of trailers and the cost of basic trailers is much less than the higher specced trailers with all the bells and whistles. The more expensive trailers crucially have suspension but can be 200-400 pounds more than a basic model. Is having suspension worth this cost difference, our wee one is also starting to show signs of travel sickness on car journeys so I expect a cushioned ride would be better than a trailer without suspension. Anyone with real world experience with these things?

gravy 18 Jan 2021
In reply to Bog ninja:

Mostly, unless you're doing single track (in which case you'll need something like the one in Danny daycare) you'll be fine with a basic one. I doubt car travel sickness will translate to the trailer which you should think of as a faster pushchair rather than a car seat. A windscreen, on the other hand, is essential.

greg_may_ 18 Jan 2021
In reply to Bog ninja:

Non suspension is fine. We’ve a double and have had it on reasonably rough tracks into spots in Font, canal rides and backroads and haven’t destroyed the child

Double allows for lots of storage on shop runs or to the local recycling centre. Main downside is storage, they are bigger than you’d expect.

I think ours was about £200 second hand. We’ve had it 3 years now and it’s still great. Daughter loves it. 

Edit: forgot to say. Get the lightest double you can, ours is just 10kg. But add in two kids and their crap and you can easily towing 60kg.

Post edited at 18:19
 Toby_W 18 Jan 2021
In reply to Bog ninja:

Get a second hand Chariot, they hold their value and are awesome , little things like UV screens, and the suspension is superb.  We did some long trips with my daughter when she was only six months old.  You can get a baby hammock type seat.  First class 😀

Cheers

Toby

Mick Bradshaw 19 Jan 2021
In reply to Bog ninja:

We had a Burley trailer (D'lite) that was used extensively when children were younger - it was more expensive than some but had the advantage of folding so took up less storage space when not being used, and could easily be swapped onto different bike(s). Neither of ours suffered any travel sickness in the trailer - but plenty in cars! The ride (without any suspension) could get a bit bouncy (especially when you encounter tree roots) but all I ever heard was 'faster Daddy'! While storage space is useful - remember you're already towing the trailer, the child/ children and their paraphernalia (spare clothes/ food/ nappies...) before you make any bike-packing plans - a bit of shopping is perhaps more realistic with two children. If you live somewhere hilly or encounter hills on your travels then think about bike gearing too as you're potentially towing a lot of kg's. A windscreen is a must- but flyscreen is essential too when the sun is out or you'll end up with poached toddlers! 

TheGeneralist 19 Jan 2021
In reply to Toby_W:

> Get a second hand Chariot, they hold their value and are awesome , little things like UV screens, and the suspension is superb.  We did some long trips with my daughter when she was only six months old.  You can get a baby hammock type seat.  First class 😀

I'd completely agree with this.  The only suggestion I'd add is to buy my Chariot specifically 😃.

The chap above says non suspension is fine for canals and back roads.... The Chariot is also fine for MTB adventures. Ours was used loads for that 6 years period when the kids were between 12 months old and about 6 years. Makes motorhoming much more flexible. Make family 'bleau trips much much easier and gives you the amazing long MTB rides that you did before you had kids.  Wed put out two kids in, strap the bikes on the roof and do the long hill at llandegla, kick the kids out at the top then ride with them till they get tired, then Chuck then back in and continue.

Soooooo much better than a child seat and/or tag along.

Took our double to Greece on a package holiday for free.

Took the kids to Black Moss Pot in Längstrath. Amazing what it could cope with.

Post edited at 09:52
OP Bog ninja 19 Jan 2021
In reply to TheGeneralist:

Are you selling one then? If so what is your selling price? Tbh I wouldn’t be able to stretch over £500

Durbs 19 Jan 2021
In reply to Bog ninja:

I've got the D'Lite with suspension, used for the nursery / school run through the local woods as well as some longer family adventures. 

Can't directly compare to those without suspension, but in summer in particular, over the really churned up, hard mud - I imagine the suspension lessens a lot of the harsh, quick vibrations, as well as soaking up tree-roots and holes. Never had any complaints at least.

It's also adjustable depending on the number & weight of kids you're towing.

They're not cheap (at all), BUT do hold their value incredibly well. I think I bought ours for £600, and after five years of use can probably sell it for £300-400 looking at eBay.

The only thing that does annoy me specifically about Burley is the cost of accessories; a second attachment hitch for my wife's bike, which is about 30p worth of metal is something daft like £15, when at the price of the trailer should be included.

Likewise if you want a jogger wheel or pushchair wheels, these are silly prices too. 

Thru-Hubs aren't that cheap if you buy the Burley version (I had to replace mine as the end just sheared off after 3 years - went with third party which was £5 more, but looks much better build-quality). 

Last thing to mention though is that is was SUCH a great thing to take to a festival (remember those?!), push-chair / seat for tired legs in the day with loads of storage space, and a cosy bed in the evening whilst we partied into the night.

TheGeneralist 10 Feb 2021
In reply to Bog ninja:

> Are you selling one then? If so what is your selling price? Tbh I wouldn’t be able to stretch over £500

Doh, sorry for the delay. Yes, got one I need to sell. Way less than £500.

mp3ferret 10 Feb 2021

I have a qeridoo speekdkid 2 ( german company and was much cheaper than a lot of the big name models).  I've used mine on lots of forest trails etc where the suspension has really helped out - both in the way it handles and the fact the kids can sleep in it even on rough ground.  on rough uphills it's certainly a lot easier for the buggy to lift a suspended wheel than for the whole buggy to lift over an obstacle.  Mind, the missus regularly asks "Are you sure you should be taking the buggy down there". - probably shouldn't most of the time - but the kids love it.

OP Bog ninja 10 Feb 2021

Hi ya, thanks for getting in touch with me earlier about your trailer but I managed to pick up another one a couple of weeks ago

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...