UKC

Easy Mtn Bike Rides NW Scotland

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 BigLob 02 Jun 2019

Im heading back up to NW Scotland this summer for a couple of weeks and interested I getting out on the bike. Ive done a fair bit of mtn biking but my partner is a bit more of a novice and Im looking for some recommendations for easy routes, no more than 15 miles or so and nothing to steep or technical. Not looking at trail centres, more easy forest or estate tracks around lochs or up into the hills as a there and back ride.

gavmac 02 Jun 2019
In reply to BigLob:

When you say NW Scotland... might be worth narrowing that down a bit! 

Mal Grey 02 Jun 2019
In reply to BigLob:

As above, narrow it down a bit, its a huge area!

There's a nice track from Gruinard in to Loch na Sealga which gets you into some wild country. 

From Craig in Glen Carron you can get up an easy, but with one longish climb, track towards Glenuaig Lodge.

From Poolewe you can get up to Fionn Loch on a Landrover track, there is climbing.

All those are "there and backs" used to access quite remote areas. Circuits are a little harder unless you start contemplating singletrack or "hike a bike" sections.

DaveHK 02 Jun 2019
In reply to BigLob:

The round of Beinn Dearg from ullapool is technically easy but quite long.

OP BigLob 06 Jun 2019
In reply to BigLob:

Im heading up in the campervan so no fixed plans. Just getting a feel for whats about. Will be chasing the sun! Thanks for the tips. Ive looked at a couple of there and backs on maps but unless you see them on the ground, you cant be sure if they are rideable so good to get some input.

DaveHK 06 Jun 2019
In reply to DaveHK:

> The round of Beinn Dearg from ullapool is technically easy but quite long.

Oops, I missed the 15 mile criteria. My recommendation is more like 50 miles!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...