UKC

Ennerdale Mountain biking

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.

Just wondering if anyone has ridden around Ennerdale, i know there is the track/road into Black sail YHA, looking at strava there is a section of singletrack on the opposite bank of the river Liza, anyone sampled this  not sure it is worth the drive, there is also the possibility of the trail on the southern shore of Ennerdale water, although i'm sure this has a little scrambling and is a loose boulderfest in places, a bit of a long shot but looking at heading in tomorrow for an active rest day, any info  much appreciated. 

Ridge 11 Sep 2021
In reply to Andy Clarke1965:

It's a decent track on the opposite bank of the Liza. Best route from west end (Ennerdale Bridge, Bleach Green or Bownesss Knot) would be follow the track towards Black Sail, cross the Liza to the south bank at the concrete bridge at the eastern end of the lake, then ford the river and cross back to the north side just before Black Sail.

It's a fast downhill pretty much all the way back to the concrete bridge. The south side of Ennerdale water is rocky and unpleasant (IMHO) when running, and you might well be carrying the bike a lot of the way, particularly round Anglers crag. I'd go back on the forestry track you came out on.

It's a nice little loop (17 milesish from Bleach Green I think).

Post edited at 19:14
 Gormenghast 11 Sep 2021

We rode the northern track to Black Sail YHA two weeks ago.

It was a fairly uninspiring ride made worse by the recent logging that was taking place.

The view of Pillar somewhat made up for the man made destruction.

Crossing the Ford by the YHA and riding along the southern track was much pleasanter, it’s not single track but an old forestry track which turns into a newer and wider track. You can get some speed up without worrying too much about pedestrians which isn’t the case on the much busier northern track.

If you do the route and find my red vest which I somehow lost, feel free to keep it - it’ll need a wash! 😀

In reply to Ridge:

Thanks for this confirmation.

In reply to Gormenghast:

Hi was the logging on the northern side?

Gormenghast 11 Sep 2021

> Hi was the logging on the northern side?

Yes. We rode on a Thursday afternoon and there was no actual logging taking place - just piles of stacked logs and the odd patch of debris were the logs had been stripped.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...