UKC

Farmer John's

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 ffati 19 Nov 2017
Anyone been is it worth the drive and could you reckonend some other riding in the area to make a weekend out of it
 veteye 19 Nov 2017
In reply to ffati:

A little punctuation would help.
OP ffati 19 Nov 2017
In reply to veteye:

Sorry didn't realise I was sitting my gcse English exam again
 alx 19 Nov 2017
In reply to ffati:

> Sorry didn't realise I was sitting my gcse English exam again

GCSE...
 veteye 19 Nov 2017
In reply to ffati:

When the words are jumbled in a meaningless burble, many of us cannot be bothered to unravel the mess. So I was trying to get you to change it, so that it was more meaningful and sensible for the reader. This would be more likely to get you the answers that you seek.
OP ffati 19 Nov 2017
In reply to veteye:

If I wanted a english lesson I would turn up in school tomorrow morning!!!!

Who are you to judge? I might have learning difficulties or as it stands I'm writing in this daft language that happens to be my second language
 JEF 19 Nov 2017
In reply to veteye:

> A little punctuation would help.

,,,.,,!;

Enjoy
Lusk 19 Nov 2017
In reply to ffati:

Just tell them all to F*ck off
Post edited at 20:04
 Monk 19 Nov 2017
In reply to ffati:
I've not ridden at farmer John's yet so can't really comment (but it looks good), I just wanted to give you a reply that wasn't about punctuation! Your original post made sense to me. Anyway, the whole Peak District is nearby so definitely worth a trip. There is also natural riding you can combine with a day at farmer John's.
Post edited at 20:06
In reply to ffati:

Yes, it's worth going. Gisburn trail centre is about an hour away if you want to make a weekend of it.
I'll show you round if you want, provided I'm not working the weekend you're going.
OP ffati 19 Nov 2017
In reply to veteye:

> When the words are jumbled in a meaningless burble, many of us cannot be bothered to unravel the mess. So I was trying to get you to change it, so that it was more meaningful and sensible for the reader. This would be more likely to get you the answers that you seek.

Maybe if you botherd to get out and do some climbing you would have less time on your hands to bother about my lack of punctuation

OP ffati 19 Nov 2017
In reply to Boris\'s Johnson:

Thanks for that actually heading up to gisburn this week. Looks good from what I've seen.

How long is the push up at farmer John's? Would it be worth packing a dh bike or just the enduro?

Monk thanks for the support a sensible person on ukc is a rare beast. Any recommendations for natural peak riding?

Climb Hamster 19 Nov 2017
In reply to ffati:

Farmer Johns is great fun. The push up from the central seating area to the start gate is only about 5 - 10 minutes and you can ride it, apart from the last little bit. The push up to the central seating area from "down in the woods" is as long as you want to make it. The woods are like the Lost Planet, full of lines everywhere, all of them leading inexorably down steep muddy slopes. The further you go the further it is to drag yourself back to the daylight...I ride an enduro bike, although plenty of people use DH rigs. There's loads of local riding in the Peak District, if you can get hold of the Vertebrate Publishing "Dark Peak" volume that'll give you quite a few ideas. I'd avoid Cut Gate at the moment though as it'll be a swamp. Much like the bottom bit at Farmer Johns...
 Stig 19 Nov 2017
In reply to ffati:
I live about a mile from FJs but haven’t been.

There’s masses of riding on the doorstep of Marple. Then there is the whole of the Peak. Then there are more groomed trails on the Sheffield side - Grenoside Woods for instance.
 veteye 19 Nov 2017
In reply to ffati:

If you bothered to read my emails with some sense of what I was saying, and less assumption that they are just a put-down, then perhaps you would gain from it.
As it happens I regularly work 70 hours plus per week and I am on call for much of the rest of the time, as I am this weekend.
I would love to get out climbing much more, but I am tied down by responsibilities of my job, and other matters.
My last holiday, a week in late August/September was my first in over 14 months.

I have probably climbed many more routes than you will ever do, in any case, as all I ever do when I go on holiday is go climbing, and in the past I had more free time.

My mistake, perhaps, was that I looked at a biking thread. I do some small amount of biking, which has been mostly in the Peak, and some in the Lake District. I had never heard of the location, and was trying to get some idea of what you were talking about.
 alx 19 Nov 2017
In reply to veteye and ffati:

You chaps need to chill.

Here have a rather unusual piece of performance art.

youtube.com/watch?v=XUn6M6uuKDM&

OP ffati 19 Nov 2017
In reply to veteye:

Assumption again you are not the only person who works long hours 16 hour days have been my general work pattern for the last 10 days.

Again you have no idea how often or and how many routes I have climbed. I climbed more in the past before I set up 2 buisnesses and carrying on with my day job but I'm not the one complaining here just trying to do something with my spare time
In reply to veteye:
I would have omitted the 'so' after the first full stop and left out the comma separating it and so in the second sentence. But I like to be frugal.
In reply to ffati:

Come to my school, I take the children mountain biking!
 veteye 19 Nov 2017
In reply to ffati:

> Maybe if you botherd to get out and do some climbing you would have less time on your hands to bother about my lack of punctuation

You were the one who made the assumption in the first place(see above) in thinking that I was an uninspired sit-at-home climber. I made few assumptions about you. I thought that I would goad you, and it seems you were goaded.
I was just defending myself.

According to your profile, you have climbed for 4-10 years. I have climbed for longer and will continue to climb, and I know that there are few people who have climbed at the same frequency. (There are a few who have climbed more, but they are mostly in the business of the outdoors, or have a very good work/life balance.)
 veteye 19 Nov 2017
In reply to blackmountainbiker:

Fair enough, though I do not like to start a sentence with "But".
 Chris the Tall 20 Nov 2017
In reply to ffati:

You need to realise that you’ve asked a question about an obscure mountain bike venue on a climbing forum, albeit one with a lot of cyclists who use it.

As well as not making much sense, you don’t give us anything to work on, you don’t tell us where you are coming from, what sort of riding you do, how experienced you etc etc.

Now people on this forum tend to be very helpful, but a little more effort on your part is required

Oh, and I have ridden for 30 years in the Peak, and never been to Farmer Johns, but that’s cos i’m more interested in XC than downhill/jumps. The kinder all weather circuit is well worth the drive from anywhere and it’s a long way to Ginsburg, but Lee/Cragg is a bit closer.
 ianstevens 20 Nov 2017
In reply to ffati:

You're not, but it helps if people know what you are on about.
 spartacus 20 Nov 2017
In reply to ffati:
I looked at this thread because I thought it was something to do with cycling with piles. ( mistakenly read ‘farmer Giles’)
In reply to ffati:
Push up is about 10 mins from cabin, 20 from bottom of the steep stuff. Lots of people take their dh rigs.
Cut gate out and back from langdale reservoir and ladybower loop in the Peak district are good. Loads of ace loops to do, Google is your friend in that regard.

Happy riding dude!

Edit- just seen the other reply, the lads got good points.
Post edited at 12:39

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...