UKC

Film - David Millar’s Time Trial - it's good

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 elsewhere 04 Jul 2018

Went to see this film and his Q&A at the weekend, my review is in the title

Worth seeing if it's on locally. 

https://www.cyclingweekly.com/news/latest-news/david-millars-time-trial-rev...

subtle 05 Jul 2018
In reply to elsewhere:

Any questions on doping and drug use?

mike123 05 Jul 2018
In reply to subtle: I don't really know enough about his story ( but I'm going to comment anyway ! ) , but a saw a lengthy interview with him last year ( can't rember where ) that he gave the impression of being open and honest about it . I always find he comes across well on the itv tdf coverage . 

GrahamD 05 Jul 2018
In reply to subtle:

I haven't seen it and I'm afraid I'm going to be away when its first shown locally, however in trailers (and there is a good interview with Millar about it on GCN on You Tube), it appears that this film concentrates on his last year as a pro, not his life story.

OP elsewhere 05 Jul 2018
In reply to subtle:

> Any questions on doping and drug use?

No. People are too polite and respectful for that.

OP elsewhere 05 Jul 2018
In reply to GrahamD:

> I haven't seen it and I'm afraid I'm going to be away when its first shown locally, however in trailers (and there is a good interview with Millar about it on GCN on You Tube), it appears that this film concentrates on his last year as a pro, not his life story.

That's correct.

John2 05 Jul 2018
In reply to elsewhere:

David Millar still holds the all-comers record for the amount of alcohol consumed while having lunch with the FT https://www.ft.com/content/bdff9f60-a1b9-11e0-b9f9-00144feabdc0 . He was in training for the Tour de France at the time. The FT still receive letters complaining what boring lightweights the people they currently invite to lunch are in comparison with Millar.

Siward 05 Jul 2018
In reply to John2:

What, a bottle of wine, 2 further glasses and a beer? The FT must be a very abstemious publication is all I can think...

mbh 05 Jul 2018
In reply to elsewhere:

He's a great pundit. I know about cycling in a broad-brush, historical, soap-opera kind of way, but my minimal knowledge and understanding of race tactics is such that his contributions are very interesting and informative.

In reply to elsewhere:

I went to see this film with minimal pre-information about it. I found it to be one of the most rivetting & demanding films that I have watched for a while. The camera work is fantastic and some of the images are pure beauty whereas others are gutter life truths. The film has helped me understand much more deeply how the cycling world works and in particular what it is like to be part of it. I thought it was brilliant.

PS Having now read his book 'The Racer' I now want to see the film again to appreciate some of the nuances I missed first time. There aren't many films I want to see twice.

OP elsewhere 29 Jul 2018
In reply to keith-ratcliffe:

Sounds like I have to read his book.

I hadn't realised quite how the peleton is a tiny gossipy village. They have time to kill at starts/finishes/hotels/airports and during hundreds of hours of racing & training. There's no real strangers (or secrets?) because if you don't know somebody directly half a dozen mates have been on the same professional, national or junior team as the "stranger" and many in the peleton will have competed against the "stranger" before at professional, national, or junior levels.

Post edited at 21:06
In reply to elsewhere:

I love the bit in the film (echoed in the book) where someone breaks away from the peleton and everyone in it starts moaning  'Oh No he's making it hard for us'. They just want a quiet life!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...